PDA

View Full Version : Question on Section Hike

Namtrag
04-25-2013, 10:54
My wife and I are celebrating our first anniversary by doing a loop hike next Thursday-Saturday (May 2-4). We were thinking of doing a loop described in MidAtlanticHikes.com called the Mt Rogers loop, but we don't want to be out in the thru hikers' way, especially when the campsites will be shelters on the AT.

Just wondering if that section of the trail will be full of thru-hikers by then.

Our other options are to make the extremely long drive to do the Standing Indian Loop, which I suspect most of the thru-hikers are past by then; or we just wait until September to do our AT loop hike, and just go to WV and do a backpack for our anniversary.

Namtrag
04-25-2013, 10:56
To clarify, we have done a loop of the AT in Shenandoah NP, and would prefer to hike some distance from there this time for some variety!

Studlintsean
04-25-2013, 12:21
Cant provide much info but I was invited to do this same hike Friday - Sunday next week but will not be able to make it. Post a follow up if you dont mind as this is the section I am looking to hike sometime this summer.

bigcranky
04-25-2013, 14:16
There are several good loops in the Mt Rogers area. You won't be in the way of the thru-hikers, though I expect there will be some out there. The key is to avoid camping near shelters, which is easy enough to do in that area.

What is the loop in your book?

Donde
04-25-2013, 14:22
This a wonderful time to hike that area. Go have a great hike. As far the thru's they have no more right to the trail than you or anybody else(of course you could avoid them cause of the smell:banana), and the trail is big enough for all of us to share.

Gray Blazer
04-25-2013, 14:25
The ponies and the thrubees both smell.

Namtrag
04-25-2013, 15:28
this is the one in WV we are considering

http://www.midatlantichikes.com/id187.html

The Mt Rogers loop is this one:

http://www.midatlantichikes.com/mountrogersbp.htm

We would be happy with either one! Nice to know that we wouldn't be in the way, and the smell really won't bother us much either! :)

The only issue is that on the Mt Rogers loop above, he has you camping at the Thomas Knob Shelter the first night, so we didn't want to take a thru hiker's spot there. If you guys indicate there are other places to camp along there that are not right at the shelter, that would make it cool!

Rasty
04-25-2013, 15:36
this is the one in WV we are considering

http://www.midatlantichikes.com/id187.html

The Mt Rogers loop is this one:

http://www.midatlantichikes.com/mountrogersbp.htm

We would be happy with either one! Nice to know that we wouldn't be in the way, and the smell really won't bother us much either! :)

The only issue is that on the Mt Rogers loop above, he has you camping at the Thomas Knob Shelter the first night, so we didn't want to take a thru hiker's spot there. If you guys indicate there are other places to camp along there that are not right at the shelter, that would make it cool!

There are numerous campsites just north of the Shelter.

bigcranky
04-25-2013, 16:56
There are other, better ways of doing the Mt Rogers loop. I'll PM you when I get a chance later.

Donde
04-25-2013, 17:12
has you camping at the Thomas Knob Shelter the first night, so we didn't want to take a thru hiker's spot there.

Shelter's are first come first serve, regardless of distance hiked or the distance one intends to hike, (caveat for the Birches and of course the Smokies reservation system). We are all just hikers, there is no caste.

Namtrag
04-25-2013, 17:28
There are numerous campsites just north of the Shelter.

Thanks, and great to know!

There are other, better ways of doing the Mt Rogers loop. I'll PM you when I get a chance later.

Wow, that would be awesome. I look forward to hearing from you. We will have about 5 hours to hike and set up camp on Day1, and on Day 2 can hike a full day, probably can hike most of the day on Day 3 as well, as we will be crashing in a hotel on Saturday night somewhere so we can have a good rest and a full day Sunday to drive back to Virginia Beach. We are not fast, but we are pretty steady. I have read this is a not especially deadly up and down section, and hope that is the case! We are flatlanders and aren't in top form yet.

Shelter's are first come first serve, regardless of distance hiked or the distance one intends to hike, (caveat for the Birches and of course the Smokies reservation system). We are all just hikers, there is no caste.

Understood, Donde! I am glad there is no caste system, it's part of what makes backpacking great. I still would prefer to allow a thru hiker the spot if he needs it. We wanted to make sure there were plenty of other places to camp along there if the shelter area gets crowded.

Donde
04-25-2013, 18:04
Tracking, yeah there are lost of great sites in the next few miles north, that I have stayed at over the shelter, in my three times through that section. Such an awesome section, my 2nd or 3rd fav on the whole trail, you are in for a treat! Have a good hike see you on the high ground.