PDA

View Full Version : Gear List for ALL weather trek - critique?

Fog Horn
04-25-2013, 13:58
***This is not for a thru-hike, this is for a trek***

For our honeymoon we are going to Torres Del Paine in Patagonia, which means we have to pack for the weather to be hot and balmy, and also for the weather to be cold and snowy, possibly all in the same day. Please let me know what you think of my gear list for these conditions. The trek will be 10 days long.

Big 3 and accessories:
Osprey Atmos L
AntiGravity Gear pack cover
Hilleberg Anjan 2
8 Titanium stakes from Dick's
North Face Cat's Meow bag (we were told we would be fools to not take a synthetic bag)
Big Agnes Insullated pad (long)
Instaflator (we haven't tried this yet but I'm sort of excited to test it out)

Kitchen (I won't have any of this weight, he offered to carry the kitchen and all of the food aside from daily snacks):
Whisperlite International
Alcohol/ MSR 11 oz fuel bottle
Ursak Minor (there are mice there, apparently)
2 Losak bags for the food
2 FBC cozies
2 LMF Sporks
Water filter (we don't need it but he wants to bring his anyway, not sure what kind it is)
AntiGravity Gear water Sack (1 gallon)

Clothing (including worn items):
Exofficio SS Shirt
Capeline 2 LS shirt
Athleta Mairposa Pant (these are heavier than most hiking pants but they're TALL and flattering, which for us tall female hikers is like finding a unicorn)
3 Exofficio undies
2 Victoria's Secret sports bras (they dry slowish so I'll need two)
2 Darn Tough crew socks
2 Sealskinz socks (one to sleep in)
Capeline 1 bottoms (to hike in when it's super cold)
GoLite Cady Jacket
Frogg Togg Dri Ducks
Patagonia Houdini wind jacket (on all reviews of this trail the wind jacket has been the most used item)
North Face gloves
Mountain Laurel rain mitts
Outdoor Research Radar cap
Arc'teryx beanie
Polar buff
Capeline 3 top (to sleep in)
Capeline 3 bottoms (to sleep in)
Salomon Speedcross trail shoes (to hike in)
Saucony Hattori velcro (for around camp)
Yaktrax pro

Safety/ First Aid/ Hygiene/ Misc items:

AGG Whistle/knife, Petzl Headlamp, AGG Fire Steel, First Aid Kit (blister care, Band-Aids, super glue, antiseptic wipes, medications, gauze, nitrile gloves, Gatorade packets), 20ft Survival Rope (not paracord), Duct Tape, Carabineers, Compass, Map, Dog Tag with Allergy and Emergency Information, Spare Batteries, pepper spray, Brush, Mascara, Tooth Brush, Toothpaste (travel size), Floss, Hair bands, Vaseline Gel, Bandanas, Glide, some sort of soap (3oz jar), Sunscreen, Hand Sanitizer, Deet, Nail Clippers, Compact Mirror, Toilet Paper, Ziplock Bags, toothpicks, Nikon AW100, and I'll likely take something to read (kindle or throwaway book) and something to journal with.

Including everything listed, everything worn, and rented hiking poles (I'll miss my UL Leki's) my pack weighs in at a whopping 24 lbs. I feel like I'm doing something wrong if I'm carrying that much weight with no food or water. What are your thoughts?

Fog Horn
04-25-2013, 14:03
Looking at it now I can see that we are missing a flashlight, some sort of towels, and a pot for our stove.

Chaco Taco
04-25-2013, 14:53
yaktrax are pointless
Instaflator is overkill
clip your fingernails before you go

SCRUB HIKER
04-25-2013, 16:25
I don't know where you plan on getting your fuel, but if you need to ask around for it in Chile, white gas is "bencina blanca." Found it by wandering into a hardware store in Santiago Central before we hopped down to Patagonia.

If you have non-backpacking items you want to bring to Chile but not on your trek specifically, you might be able to leave them in the care of a hostel in Punta Arenas or Puerto Natales, especially if you offer to pay a small fee. We left our extra stuff with a hostel owner in Puerto Montt before we flew down; she wasn't enthusiastic about the idea until we uttered the magic words, "Podemos pagar un poquito."

Fog Horn
04-26-2013, 08:39
I don't know where you plan on getting your fuel, but if you need to ask around for it in Chile, white gas is "bencina blanca." Found it by wandering into a hardware store in Santiago Central before we hopped down to Patagonia.

If you have non-backpacking items you want to bring to Chile but not on your trek specifically, you might be able to leave them in the care of a hostel in Punta Arenas or Puerto Natales, especially if you offer to pay a small fee. We left our extra stuff with a hostel owner in Puerto Montt before we flew down; she wasn't enthusiastic about the idea until we uttered the magic words, "Podemos pagar un poquito."

Thanks! All the accounts I've read online say that they had no issue getting fuel in Puerto Natales, so I've scheduled us a REFIT day in town before we hit the trail. I definitely will be packing a small bag to leave behind at the hotel or hostel, but I'm not sure if the fiance is going to do that. I just know that after ten days out there it will be nice to wear clean clothes and a little make up :)

If you have any advice on Patagonia, I'm all ears. It's difficult to get information about the trail online.

Venchka
04-29-2013, 23:21
What month/season are you going?
Congratulations on the Hilleberg tent. I'm envious. What is the R-value of your pad? Have you used it? Like it?
You seem to have a fair amout of duplication in your clothing. I find that a layer of fleece, head to ankles-wool sox, and a full coverage wind proof layer will keep me comfortable at pretty silly low temperatures. "Carry as many clothes as you can wear in your sleeping bag if needed." That would probably take you down into the Teens if you choose wisely.
Bon voyage!
Ps: Envious of your trip too. Have fun!

Wayne