PDA

View Full Version : Snickers, how could you?!

handlebar
04-25-2013, 14:45
A friend of mine pointed out that Snickers ("full size") have been downsized from 280 calories to 250 calories. (The price, however, has not been downsized.) We'll have to revise all the mountain heights: from a 3 snickers climb to a 3.2 Snickers mountain, etc.

Feral Bill
04-25-2013, 15:17
Don't worry, it's all for the good of your health.:)

Rasty
04-25-2013, 15:28
Makes for easier math when counting calories. 4 snickers bars is 1000 calories which is just right for a mid afternoon snack.

Sarcasm the elf
04-25-2013, 17:33
Makes for easier math when counting calories. 4 snickers bars is 1000 calories which is just right for a mid afternoon snack.Best post of the day!

redseal
04-25-2013, 17:54
Thanks for update! I keep a database of food along with a calorie count for when I plan long trips and mail drops. Time to update that Snickers item!

Donde
04-25-2013, 18:07
Not that big a deal guys, Snickers are just a utensil for eating nutella, and various nut butters.

Spirit Walker
04-25-2013, 20:38
Candy bars have been resized regularly for years. First they come out with the King sized version, at a higher price. Then the price stays the same, but the size gets smaller and smaller, until it's about 1.75 oz or less. Then they come out with a new bigger better one, at a new and bigger price. I've watched the shift repeat over and over for years. When I thruhiked, Snickers were 2 oz or 200 calories. We said that they were good for two miles.

OTOH, the past two years have seen major downsizing in all sorts of food packaging, from ice cream (1.5 liter instead of half gallon) to canned tomatoes (10 oz instead of 14.5), etc. They think that people won't notice the increase in price, but some of us do. It can be a problem if you're used to using them in recipes and suddenly your pot of chili doesn't feed as many as it used to.

Del Q
04-25-2013, 21:14
I rarely eat candy, on the AT - all bets are off!21309

atraildreamer
04-27-2013, 13:03
Candy bars have been resized regularly for years. First they come out with the King sized version, at a higher price. Then the price stays the same, but the size gets smaller and smaller, until it's about 1.75 oz or less. Then they come out with a new bigger better one, at a new and bigger price. ...

...and they have been pumping the candy bars full of air for years to make them the same size as the older, heavier weight bars.

Just one example, from: http://www.theimpulsivebuy.com/wordpress/2011/07/28/review-hersheys-air-delight-aerated-milk-chocolate-bar/

"...Hershey’s Air Delight Aerated Milk Chocolate uses these misshapen air bubbles to make you think they’ve packed more chocolate into the same package when they’re actually giving you less." :mad:

gollwoods
04-28-2013, 05:05
some peanut butter jars went from 18 to 16.4 ozs

Tuckahoe
04-28-2013, 07:04
Oh God! How dare they change the sizing of a candy bar! Ya just gotta love our first world problems.

...and they have been pumping the candy bars full of air for years to make them the same size as the older, heavier weight bars.

Just one example, from: http://www.theimpulsivebuy.com/wordpress/2011/07/28/review-hersheys-air-delight-aerated-milk-chocolate-bar/

"...Hershey’s Air Delight Aerated Milk Chocolate uses these misshapen air bubbles to make you think they’ve packed more chocolate into the same package when they’re actually giving you less." :mad:

Just not buying it, as what one thinks isnt always reality... hopefully folks understand that candy bars are sold by weight, not volume. And a standard Hershey bar is 1.55 oz, the Hershey with almonds is 1.45 and the Aerated is 1.44. They also come in at 200 to 210 calories. Seems the same to me. But if you're going to add extra ingredients or an extra manufacturing process in there, while maintaining the same price point, something has to give and here thats the measly .10 to .11 oz difference between the almond and aerated bars, and the standard.

The sizing on candy has always changed, and yet while so many seem to think that they are always getting downsized, we are at a high as far as the standard weight on candy bars. Those nickle candy bars when introduced usually weighed in at 1 to 1.25 ounce, while today the standard comes in between 1.40 to 1.75 oz

Wise Old Owl
04-28-2013, 08:58
Common practice amongst companies that offer chocolate and this not new - look at the Hershey bar over the years and as the price of "buying" chocolate swings up the bar gets smaller - when the price swings down the bar got a little bigger. Some years were due to yield or production.

Sarcasm the elf
04-28-2013, 11:01
Common practice amongst companies that offer chocolate and this not new - look at the Hershey bar over the years and as the price of "buying" chocolate swings up the bar gets smaller - when the price swings down the bar got a little bigger. Some years were due to yield or production.

Seriously? So now I have to take into account projected annual global cocoa yields when deciding what year to thru hike? ;)

atraildreamer
04-28-2013, 11:03
some peanut butter jars went from 18 to 16.4 ozs

A 32 ounce "quart" of mayonnaise is now 30 ounces. A 64 ounce "half-gallon" of ice cream is now 56 ounces. (Should the "1/2 gallon ice cream challenge" now be renamed the "0.4375 gallon challenge"? :confused:) A 16 ounce Coke became a 10 ounce Coke. I can't remember the last time I was able to a one pound (16 ounce) can of vegetables. :-?

Rain Man
04-28-2013, 11:08
We'll have to revise all the mountain heights: from a 3 snickers climb to a 3.2 Snickers mountain, etc.

Reminds me of the old "Half Gallon Challenge." Now it's "A Quart and a Half Challenge."

Rain:sunMan

Tuckahoe
04-28-2013, 12:07
A 16 ounce Coke became a 10 ounce Coke. I can't remember the last time I was able to a one pound (16 ounce) can of vegetables. :-?

Not exactly true. Soft drinks have historically always been offered as a 8 fluid oz and 10 fluid oz serving. Over time 12 fl oz, 16 fl oz, 20 fl oz and 24 fl oz have been offered as well. All 6 of these capacities are still bottled today, with the addition by Coke of a 7 fl oz serving. Sixteen fl oz servings have not been reduced to 10 fl oz, if anything the practice has been to convert to metric, so its now 500ml, which happens to be 16.9 fl oz... huh, an increase.

It certainly is frustrating when you realize certain packaging has been downsize, but thats been the case for many decades. When was the last time corned beef in the trapezoidal cans were 1 pound, rather than 12 oz? Also keep in mind that just as with soda many manufactures offer mulitple serving size and packaging sizes. Take a moment to compare what a producer actually offers, versus what the grocery or convenience store offers on the shelves.

And yeah I was really upset when the product in the last package of Johnsonville sausages came in at 19.5 ounces instead of the 19oz it was supposed to be.

Wise Old Owl
04-28-2013, 12:59
Mars caved into Michelle Obama's "request" and capped all candy bars at 250 calories max.

Not a political comment - this is fact. Google away if you doubt this.

What does this have to do with the AT?:rolleyes:

capehiker
04-28-2013, 13:12

Ummm...no. But it's nice spin, though, so props to the author. I'm not going to go any more in depth with my reply because A) I am related to one of the head honchos of Hershey B) that would make my reply appear overly biased C) it's hard to convince someone otherwise when their mind is set

atraildreamer
04-28-2013, 17:52
Not exactly true. Soft drinks have historically always been offered as a 8 fluid oz and 10 fluid oz serving. Over time 12 fl oz, 16 fl oz, 20 fl oz and 24 fl oz have been offered as well. All 6 of these capacities are still bottled today, with the addition by Coke of a 7 fl oz serving. Sixteen fl oz servings have not been reduced to 10 fl oz, if anything the practice has been to convert to metric, so its now 500ml, which happens to be 16.9 fl oz... huh, an increase.

It certainly is frustrating when you realize certain packaging has been downsize, but thats been the case for many decades. When was the last time corned beef in the trapezoidal cans were 1 pound, rather than 12 oz? Also keep in mind that just as with soda many manufactures offer mulitple serving size and packaging sizes. Take a moment to compare what a producer actually offers, versus what the grocery or convenience store offers on the shelves.

And yeah I was really upset when the product in the last package of Johnsonville sausages came in at 19.5 ounces instead of the 19oz it was supposed to be.

OK, I should have said that I saw an ad at a gas station that advertised a special on Coke - 99 cents. I assumed that this was the 16 ounce size, as they would often sell the 16 ounce bottle for 99 cents, on sale. What I got was the 10 ounce size. Somewhat misleading to offer a "sale" price that is really a price increase, in disguise.

Nytro
06-01-2013, 11:04
Just curious, How do you keep candy bars from melting in the summer while in your pack?

Wise Old Owl
06-01-2013, 11:14
place them closer to the water in your pack.

Marta
06-01-2013, 12:41
Just curious, How do you keep candy bars from melting in the summer while in your pack?

Switch to M&Ms.