PDA

View Full Version : Beware Matt with the Red truck in Hiawassee?

TheYoungOne
04-25-2013, 14:58
In checking out some Thru-hikers youtube trail journals, a warning came up about a big creepy guy near Dick's Creek Gap trail head/Hiawassee GA by the name of Matt who drives a red pickup. Other hikers seemed to already gotten word about him, and seem to politely ignore him. One of the shuttle drivers in the video mentioned a story about how this guy offered a ride to two female hikers, who he took away from town and drove deep into the woods, and allegedly tried to sexually assault/ coerce sexual favors from them.

Just a heads up. Also if anyone knows if these stories are true or not please chime in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-mQ_1mPTW8

generoll
04-26-2013, 16:25
not to defend him, but all of these stories have been second hand.

Ladyofthewoods
04-26-2013, 17:46
This is an accurate report. I encountered the man in the red truck last year and had actually heard about him before I hit the trail at Springer. As I approached the gap, I heard him cursing a woman that turned out to be his companion. My gut said to avoid him and when he asked if I wanted a ride to town, I told him no and that I had a friend coming any minute from the trail behind me (true, plus I hoped it would avoid any harassment). He hung around til my friend arrived at the same time as the shuttle driver from Haven's. I shot across the road and stowed my gear. The man from the red truck approached the shuttle driver who was now in the driver's seat. He reached down and grabbed a baseball bat! The guy from the red truck proceeded to curse him out and threaten 'my bosses are gonna get Haven's and you tell him to get out of our business'! I was frightened at the situation.

swjohnsey
04-26-2013, 18:09
He is probably harmless. I called Ron's shuttle from the last spot with cell phone coverage (little sign on the trail). Red Truck pulls up and I tell him I'm waiting for Ron's shuttle. He tell me he passed the shuttle broke down on the side of the road just as the shuttle is pulling up.

4Bears
04-26-2013, 19:16
There is something twisted and wrong when someone has that kind of aggressive air about him. Actively lying, cursing, threatening, sounds like an individual to be avoided.

HikerMom58
04-26-2013, 19:24
There is something twisted and wrong when someone has that kind of aggressive air about him. Actively lying, cursing, threatening, sounds like an individual to be avoided.

Souinds like good common sense to me! I've heard about him before. I wouldn't say or think he's harmless. Thanks for the heads up TheYoungOne!!!!

rocketsocks
04-26-2013, 19:31
Sounds like this fella needs a....talking to.

SCRUB HIKER
04-26-2013, 19:37
I saw him in 2011; he lied and said I'd just missed the last shuttle and they weren't running anymore, after which my friend called the Budget Inn and they said, "Sure, we'll be right up." Later that day some people I knew did get a ride with him ... he wanted $30 but they talked him down to $20, he asked if they had any weed 3 times in the 10 minute ride, asked if there were any girl hikers on the trail who were going to need a ride later that day. Everyone had a story about him lying to them personally about the shuttles, or asking if they had drugs, or both.

The Budget Inn driver said it's been a running battle trying to get that guy to go away, but law enforcement hasn't succeeded yet for one reason or another. I don't think he's harmless, I think he's probably got a drug habit and is doing all the lying, dealing, extorting he can do to get more cash.

Lone Wolf
04-26-2013, 19:56
he will meet me next year in march

generoll
04-26-2013, 20:12
a Towns County deputy told us that he had talked with Mike (that's how I know him) and Mike had denied extorting or threatening anyone. The deputy talked to the county DA and was told that the guy not broken a law that could be proven. The deputy then told us not to call him again unless we had the complainant. Second hand tales go nowhere. Unless someone files a complaint based upon actual knowledge, law enforcement can't do anything.

HikerMom58
04-26-2013, 20:27
a Towns County deputy told us that he had talked with Mike (that's how I know him) and Mike had denied extorting or threatening anyone. The deputy talked to the county DA and was told that the guy not broken a law that could be proven. The deputy then told us not to call him again unless we had the complainant. Second hand tales go nowhere. Unless someone files a complaint based upon actual knowledge, law enforcement can't do anything.

That's how he dodges a conviction. The hikers that he harasses can't easily show up or hang around to testify in court and press charges. He preys on people that are on the move.
It's also been said that the "good ole boys" in the local police dept and such, protect this guy from any kind of prosecution. As long as he doesn't seriously harm anyone, he gets away with all of this... I just wonder how long he can keep this up, if this is the truth.

Biggie Master
04-26-2013, 20:37
Sounds like this fella needs a....talking to.

LW - when you pass through next March, would you mind politely asking Matt to lighten up a little? :p

4Bears
04-27-2013, 05:53
If this "clown prince" acts the way they say, one would think the locals could send a female officer in hiker gear to hike out at that trailhead and be able to bust his chops but good.

Two Speed
04-27-2013, 10:10
That's how he dodges a conviction.No, ma'am, that's how he dodges an arrest. Getting a conviction is an entirely different bag of worms.

LockJaww
04-27-2013, 12:46
This guy is still at it huh? I encountered him in 2011. He was telling the same lies about the shuttle being broken and Ron Havens and Mulls ( ? ) being full. He wanted something like $25 or $30 bucks a piece for a ride into town. Several of us refused and ended up piling into the bed of another pick up and giving the driver something like $5 each.
Chat amongst other hikers along the Trail told of him doing the same thing.
I had a very bad vibe about this guy. He was creepy,but didnt threaten any of us in any way.

max patch
04-27-2013, 12:58
and Mulls ( ? ) being full.

Mulls used to be the thru-hikers first choice for a hotel in Hiawassee.

Hairbear
04-27-2013, 13:31
Im surprised that if hes been doing it that long that he hasnt met his own destiny by now.

4Bears
04-27-2013, 14:27
Im surprised that if hes been doing it that long that he hasnt met his own destiny by now.
Long ago a scribe transposed words in an old adage: "Time wounds all heals."

Hairbear
04-27-2013, 14:33
Long ago a scribe transposed words in an old adage: "Time wounds all heals."

words of wisdom.....

BZ853
04-28-2013, 23:06
This is why you CC or have pepper spray.

Rain Man
04-29-2013, 09:10
Whining and sharing second-hand gossipy accounts online is one thing. Going to law enforcement time and again is another. Someone needs to be willing to file a complaint. In fact, multiple people need to be willing to file complaints. Otherwise, it's like the stories of hearing a woman being raped out in the street and turning a deaf ear.

Rain Man

yaduck9
04-29-2013, 09:48
not to defend him, but all of these stories have been second hand.

Since he is such a "fixture" on the trail, I am surprised he isnt video'd more often.....

WingedMonkey
04-29-2013, 10:14
Whining and sharing second-hand gossipy accounts online is one thing. Going to law enforcement time and again is another. Someone needs to be willing to file a complaint. In fact, multiple people need to be willing to file complaints. Otherwise, it's like the stories of hearing a woman being raped out in the street and turning a deaf ear.

Rain Man

Absolutely understand your point and agree...but...what is the complaint to file?

That he is a liar and tries to steal business?

TheYoungOne
04-29-2013, 11:49
Absolutely understand your point and agree...but...what is the complaint to file?

That he is a liar and tries to steal business?

I understand its all 2nd hand stories, but what we all can definately agree on is the guy is definately a creep, and lies to hikers to try to make money. The reason why I mentioned this in the first place is more of a warning. Maybe this guy is harmless, but it could be that the one situation he is looking for never happened yet. One day there may be a lone female hiker who was not pre-warned, who thinks everyone along the AT is "good people" , and she runs into this guy while no one else is at the trailhead. Disregarding any "street smarts" she believes everything he says and jumps in the truck with him. If the rumors are true, that can turn into a real bad situation for that hiker.

WingedMonkey
04-29-2013, 12:17
I understand its all 2nd hand stories, but what we all can definately agree on is the guy is definately a creep, and lies to hikers to try to make money. The reason why I mentioned this in the first place is more of a warning. Maybe this guy is harmless, but it could be that the one situation he is looking for never happened yet. One day there may be a lone female hiker who was not pre-warned, who thinks everyone along the AT is "good people" , and she runs into this guy while no one else is at the trailhead. Disregarding any "street smarts" she believes everything he says and jumps in the truck with him. If the rumors are true, that can turn into a real bad situation for that hiker.

I understand that also. What I mean is, if people want him arrested, or reported to law enforcement, what is it that they can charge him with?

Spirit Bear
04-29-2013, 13:00
If two girls were taken into the woods and asked to perform sexual services on him I do think those two femals would have pressed charges or posted on WB about it or something. I think this guy is harmless honestly. It could be that Im a Ga native (Atlanta native) and I see these types of guys all the time in the Ga mtns. This guy is a second cousin to harley guy or hunter guy.

If anything he is just guilty for taking advantage of a demand situation offering a high price for a shuttle.

If the guy was truly causing harm he would have been caught by now.

A few years back a woman trail running on new years day on the blue blazes around blood mtn was kidnapped, robbed or asked for her atm, when she refused the guy took her in his white van and killed her.

He was from Fla, not even a Ga native and just a drifter.

This guy Matt is just out to rip people off, he is offering rides into town for 30 bucks. There isnt a law against that.

Again if he were preying on girls right off the trail it would have been exposed by now after 3 or 4 seasons.

Malto
04-29-2013, 15:12
If two girls were taken into the woods and asked to perform sexual services on him I do think those two femals would have pressed charges or posted on WB about it or something. I think this guy is harmless honestly. It could be that Im a Ga native (Atlanta native) and I see these types of guys all the time in the Ga mtns. This guy is a second cousin to harley guy or hunter guy.

If anything he is just guilty for taking advantage of a demand situation offering a high price for a shuttle.

If the guy was truly causing harm he would have been caught by now.

A few years back a woman trail running on new years day on the blue blazes around blood mtn was kidnapped, robbed or asked for her atm, when she refused the guy took her in his white van and killed her.

He was from Fla, not even a Ga native and just a drifter.

This guy Matt is just out to rip people off, he is offering rides into town for 30 bucks. There isnt a law against that.

Again if he were preying on girls right off the trail it would have been exposed by now after 3 or 4 seasons.

Well said, huge difference between a sexual predator and an opportunistic hustler.

swjohnsey
04-29-2013, 22:12
Part of trail lore.

HikerMom58
04-29-2013, 22:24
Part of trail lore.

This crap is getting old... I wish someone would just tell the truth. It can't be that hard...........

RCBear
04-30-2013, 09:11
How has this guy avoided getting his ass handed to him by a couple of hikers by now?? I would never put up with someone ranting at me and my girlfriend, on the trail or anyplace else for that matter.

Alligator
04-30-2013, 09:26
Let's not escalate the thread towards vigilantism. Thanks.

HikerMom58
04-30-2013, 10:29
How has this guy avoided getting his ass handed to him by a couple of hikers by now?? I would never put up with someone ranting at me and my girlfriend, on the trail or anyplace else for that matter.

Your anger towards this man is legit & understood, RC Bear.

Thank you TYO for this thread. I know it's all he said, she said, when it comes to exactly what this man has done/ is doing. I agree we can call his behavior suspicious & creepy, to put it mildly.

My opinion is that this guy is a ticking time bomb. What's up with all the anger? He may be "protected" somehow, who knows. My bad- in a previous comment.... If he's guilty of wrong doing he needs to be arrested, first, then convicted.

The fact that no one has pressed charges against him does not surprise me at all. #1 Hikers don't like to stick around, they are on a mission. #2 I know, for a fact,that this happened in Daleville in 2008. A hiker was offered a ride in Daleville, kidnapped and assaulted. The hiker involved did not go the police. The police were notified about the incident, by the hikers family member. The police went looking for the hiker. That's how we roll around here. I read the personal account of this incident in the hiker's TJ's. I'm almost certain there was a conviction. This guy had done this 1 time before earlier (10 years) in a town nearby.

I actually talked to Gary at the Blueberry Patch about this guy in 2010. Gary told me that the police come around & tell him to stop harassing hikers. He stops for a short while but then keeps going back. Gary told me he's been doing this for years.

slbirdnerd
04-30-2013, 10:43
This guy is a second cousin to harley guy or hunter guy.

I'm not trying to stir the pot Spirit Bear, but this kind of generalizing doesn't help anyone. I am an avid rider and the stereotype is dead wrong. This guy is creepy and I appreciate the heads up.

Rain Man
04-30-2013, 11:50

Actually, there is, if he doesn't have a commercial taxi license or comparable.

Remember, Al Capone was not sent to prison for murder by the FBI, but for taxes by the IRS.

Rain Man

max patch
04-30-2013, 12:20

Actually, there is, if he doesn't have a commercial taxi license or comparable.

How many shuttlers carry the license Rain Man mentions?

How many shuttlers pay the FS the for the permit to drop off at (for example) Springer?

More importantly - for both the shuttler and shuttlee - how many shuttlers carry the additional insurance needed when shuttling someone? Many shuttlers are risking theri entire net worth for a $100 fee.

Wise Old Owl
04-30-2013, 12:29
uhh too much mud slinging.... if more people don't pay the man he will give up. I am sad to say - I don't care about stinking licenses - it won't make you any safer.

If you read carefully - there is a first hand account and he is not harmless, Matt is supporting a drug habit. Stay on topic - whats Matt's Last name?

Chaco Taco
04-30-2013, 12:43
This is comforting, if the guy makes it to next year....

Dogwood
04-30-2013, 22:28
"Matt With the Red Truck" - sounds like the title of a child's book.

What happens if Matt(?) also owns a Blue Truck?

Dogwood
04-30-2013, 22:39
My next thread title- "Big Misunderstood Guy with Red Truck Looking for Money and Love." Sounds like a whole lot of folk's could fit that description! Hey, that sounds like the title of a country music song.

4Bears
04-30-2013, 23:42
HHhhmmmmm .... Sounds like a book title.... One Truck, Two Truck, Red Truck, Blue Truck..... Matt in a red truck/ Or maybe it's blue?/ Does he drive it barefoot?/ Or does he wear a shoe?/ Does he drive it in the rain?/ Does he drive while insane?/ Is his skin pasty and pale?/ Is he fat as a whale?/ ... ... ... ... ... ....

4Bears
04-30-2013, 23:45
My sincere apologies to the late great Dr. Seuss, for the above post, I do thank him for the inspiration.

Gray Blazer
05-01-2013, 13:41
21411It's OK.

pelenaka
05-01-2013, 23:32
I don't need to know his last name, the color of his ride, how is mama dressed him on any given day. Thanks to that video I now know he walks, how he talks, and to a lesser degree what he looks like unshaved.
Thank you to the OP for the tread and for the video.

SouthernPride
05-02-2013, 00:49
I was going to bring my banjo with me when I hike next year......after seeing that guy, maybe I shouldnt........

Gray Blazer
05-02-2013, 07:47
I was going to bring my banjo with me when I hike next year......after seeing that guy, maybe I shouldnt........

Bring Jon Voight with you.

Chair-man
05-02-2013, 08:06
Bring Jon Voight with you.

Don't forget Billy Redden the famed banjo kid who never played a lick. He seems like a really nice man now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBgxdROTTrE

Dogwood
05-03-2013, 02:41
My sincere apologies to the late great Dr. Seuss, for the above post, I do thank him for the inspiration.

Hey. when you're feeling it sometimes you just gotta let it fly. No worriez. Poet Laureate. That might make a good trail name for someone.

Ladyofthewoods
05-03-2013, 08:28
I gave a first-hand account...not second-hand. Some of you here can make jokes and be flip about it, but I'm not a young girl or easily intimidated, and I can tell you this man seemed capable of being violent. On WB wannabe thruhikers are often told the trail is safe, etc. but someone like this is just waiting for the right opportunity to hurt someone. Everything I've read/heard says people like this escalate until an incident occurs that makes them snap. I have spoken to folks in that area and been told he has been 'talked' to but just lays low and then starts up again. I certainly wouldn't want my daughter to come upon a situation like this. But, at this point, all we can do is warn hikers to be aware which is what you need to be anyway. Unfortunately, I also had another incident happen to me while on the AT with a man that threatened me while at the shelter near Albert Mtn....scared me to death. Men can afford to be cavalier...women have to be far more vigilent.

HikerMom58
05-03-2013, 09:02
I gave a first-hand account...not second-hand. Some of you here can make jokes and be flip about it, but I'm not a young girl or easily intimidated, and I can tell you this man seemed capable of being violent. On WB wannabe thruhikers are often told the trail is safe, etc. but someone like this is just waiting for the right opportunity to hurt someone. Everything I've read/heard says people like this escalate until an incident occurs that makes them snap. I have spoken to folks in that area and been told he has been 'talked' to but just lays low and then starts up again. I certainly wouldn't want my daughter to come upon a situation like this. But, at this point, all we can do is warn hikers to be aware which is what you need to be anyway. Unfortunately, I also had another incident happen to me while on the AT with a man that threatened me while at the shelter near Albert Mtn....scared me to death. Men can afford to be cavalier...women have to be far more vigilent.

Exactly.... Thank you Ladyofthewoods for your post. I believe what hikers like you say. I don't trust or believe anyone that comes on here saying "Oh he's harmless." Blah Blah Blah ............
BS- dudes, you guys just don't get it!

When my daughter was hiking, I heard about this guy. I warned her about him, immediately. Thanks to people like you, Ladyofthewoods sharing with everyone. I want every other mom or person out there to have knowledge about these types of people. His behavior sends up "red flags".

I saw a post on here recently where another woman was "bummed out" because of all the "bad news" on the trail ... sickness, angry people (like this guy) and mentally ill people encounters on the trail. Then there's bears that loose their fear of people, ticks, out of control dogs that bite others and snakes etc... Welcome to reality!! I don't see any of these things as "show stoppers" while hiking or enjoying the AT.

Here's what I have to say to anyone that wants to be discouraged about these things.... KNOWLEDGE = POWER. That's a big reason why I first came here.

Rain Man
05-03-2013, 09:44
I gave a first-hand account...not second-hand. ... I'm not a young girl or easily intimidated, and I can tell you this man seemed capable of being violent. ... Unfortunately, I also had another incident happen to me while on the AT with a man that threatened me while at the shelter near Albert Mtn....scared me to death. ...

Did you report these two incidents to the proper authorities? If so, good for you, and, you are protecting your daughter and my daughter, and I thank you.

Rain Man

Ladyofthewoods
05-03-2013, 10:26
Rainman...I reported the incident on Albert Mtn. as the man actually came toward me in a very threatening manner while making suggesting remarks. The officer in Franklin said he would 'look into it' and I never heard anything. I believe this man was NOT a hiker, but someone who came up the road to the firetower which I found out is sometimes gated. It was open at the time. The incident with the 'man in the red truck' I did not as it was simply a matter of being very uncomfortable where I felt it could have developed in to a bad situation. However, I was grateful I had heard of the warning of this man.

SouthernPride
05-03-2013, 15:15
Rainman...I reported the incident on Albert Mtn. as the man actually came toward me in a very threatening manner while making suggesting remarks. The officer in Franklin said he would 'look into it' and I never heard anything. I believe this man was NOT a hiker, but someone who came up the road to the firetower which I found out is sometimes gated. It was open at the time. The incident with the 'man in the red truck' I did not as it was simply a matter of being very uncomfortable where I felt it could have developed in to a bad situation. However, I was grateful I had heard of the warning of this man.

I wasnt trying to be flippant with my banjo joke - and I agree - something does appear to be off with the guy. People should use their common sense and listen to their "gut" when around this guy. The question is.....what can you do? Since most people are unarmed on the trail - if bad guys want to attack or make victims of them, there really isnt much you can do to prevent it. You can try and defend yourself and fight back - which I think everyone should do - but the reality of this world is there are people who wont do that. As a 22 year veteran of law enforcement, I understand what the police are saying - unless someone reports this guy for violating the law, there's not much they can do. There is no law against being creepy. These "creepy" people know that hikers wont stay around to see a prosecution through so they push the envelope. The remoteness of the trail is very inviting for human predators and though there hasnt been many instances in the past, your best defense is to be in a group. There is safety in numbers. Remember that the people you meet, no matter how much comradiere or trust you put in other hikers, are still strangers. Generally, I believe we are all safe, but that doesnt mean we need to lose our common sense and be wary and cautious of strangers.

Coosa
05-03-2013, 20:35
HHhhmmmmm .... Sounds like a book title.... One Truck, Two Truck, Red Truck, Blue Truck..... Matt in a red truck/ Or maybe it's blue?/ Does he drive it barefoot?/ Or does he wear a shoe?/ Does he drive it in the rain?/ Does he drive while insane?/ Is his skin pasty and pale?/ Is he fat as a whale?/ ... ... ... ... ... ....

Does he play a banjo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcZlxCNzQqw

Wise Old Owl
05-03-2013, 20:53
see lower post.

Coosa
05-03-2013, 21:16
Might I also suggest a NECK KNIFE?

Gary Michael Hilton admitted that her Martial Arts skills were impressive but all she needed was some kind of weapon ... didn't have to be a gun ... just something to fight him off with.

When in doubt ... Neck Knife

Coosa
05-03-2013, 21:17
SHE in my post above being MEREDITH EMERSON .... sorry if I caused anyone any confusion.

I leave for my Northern Half of the AT tomorrow.

Coosa

Wise Old Owl
05-03-2013, 21:41
Forget all this - take a moment and explain why we have in the first page a 1st hand report in the first page (some of you are poor readers and I am guilty too) WHY you think he is harmless. He doesn't need a record, He doesn't need a license. He clearly is a harder druggie, lying, jerk. So now that we have established that... How do we understand some of the posts on page two and three? I see a few tells in the video, some of you don't have a radar on. Am I missing something? looking for honest replies. Help me understand.

This is an accurate report. I encountered the man in the red truck last year and had actually heard about him before I hit the trail at Springer. As I approached the gap, I heard him cursing a woman that turned out to be his companion. My gut said to avoid him and when he asked if I wanted a ride to town, I told him no and that I had a friend coming any minute from the trail behind me (true, plus I hoped it would avoid any harassment). He hung around til my friend arrived at the same time as the shuttle driver from Haven's. I shot across the road and stowed my gear. The man from the red truck approached the shuttle driver who was now in the driver's seat. He reached down and grabbed a baseball bat! The guy from the red truck proceeded to curse him out and threaten 'my bosses are gonna get Haven's and you tell him to get out of our business'! I was frightened at the situation.

Sarcasm the elf
05-03-2013, 21:46
I leave for my Northern Half of the AT tomorrow.

Coosa

Congrats on that and best wishes! Have a great time!

atmilkman
05-03-2013, 21:47
Forget all this - take a moment and explain why we have in the first page a 1st hand report in the first page (some of you are poor readers and I am guilty too) WHY you think he is harmless. He doesn't need a record, He doesn't need a license. He clearly is a harder druggie, lying, jerk. So now that we have established that... How do we understand some of the posts on page two and three? I see a few tells in the video, some of you don't have a radar on. Am I missing something? looking for honest replies. Help me understand.
The way I understand it is and in all honesty is that when you state that the moon is not made of cheese someone is gonna say, "oh yes it is".

Wise Old Owl
05-03-2013, 22:27
UHH what? I like cheeze, owls are into cheeze... oh never mind... NEXT!

Swordpen
05-31-2013, 01:20
Thanks for posting this.

Silent Stroll
05-31-2013, 04:13
If this post didn't ring true or an alarm with you then I guess you don't need to worry. I am happy the OP brought this here because it helps people. As a man I care about my money. As just a person I care about who runs into this guy. I, that's right I believe he will keep pushing the limits and will get caught doing something bad. With this post maybe it won't be to a single female hiker. That is the reason it was brought here. It wasn't brought here to spread tales. It was brought here as a warning. Just like the tornado warning. If it helps...it's for you. If not...change the channel and stop complaining about the news.

SouthernPride
06-06-2013, 04:24
Very well said

If this post didn't ring true or an alarm with you then I guess you don't need to worry. I am happy the OP brought this here because it helps people. As a man I care about my money. As just a person I care about who runs into this guy. I, that's right I believe he will keep pushing the limits and will get caught doing something bad. With this post maybe it won't be to a single female hiker. That is the reason it was brought here. It wasn't brought here to spread tales. It was brought here as a warning. Just like the tornado warning. If it helps...it's for you. If not...change the channel and stop complaining about the news.