PDA

View Full Version : Springer to...?

jberretta7
04-25-2013, 15:08
Hi, my dad, brother and I are starting at Springer on May 6th and we want to go to the Blue Mountain Shelter within 5 days.

Our problems are,

Where can we park our cars that is somewhere close to there and safe?
We want a shuttle to the start and hike to the cars because we aren't sure if this will last 4,5, or 6 days since we don't know exactly how many miles we can do per day. Any guesstimates?
Who are reliable shuttles in this area? (seems I can only find people from ATL)
We have heard rumors that there are certain types of tents NOT allowed and we want to make sure we aren't breaking any rules. (Bathtub tents?)
My dad just wants to do potable aqua tabs for water, I want a MSR pump filter but we don't know what the water situation is like...who is right?
Are we just restricted to stoves or can we cook over fires?

Thanks a lot for the input in advance. If you think I've missed any questions along these lines, feel free to add any advice you see fit.

max patch
04-25-2013, 16:30
1. Unicoi Gap just a couple miles past Blue is safe.
2. Thats tough for us to estimate. You can't camp from Jarrrad to Neels unless you have a bear vault. This means that most hikers stop at Lance Creek even if they are not done for the day (unless they get there early). If the shuttle day counts as a hiking day you'll get a late start and will probably get to Hawk. If you are going to stay at shelters then get a guide book and your camping spots.
3. Send a PM to generoll on this site. Contact the Hiawassee budget inn. Contact Lumpy at Mountain Crossings. Sally and Joyce.
4. You can sleep in any tent/tarp/hammock/shelter that you want. No restrictions.
5. Tablets are fine. I wouldn't buy a filter for a 5-6 day hike. Some people don't treat water at all in GA.
6. The only place you can't have a fire is from the Slaughter Creek tent sites to Neels and you won't be camping there anyway.

max patch
04-25-2013, 17:06
I just saw on another thread you are first time hikers. I'd say set aside 6 days for the hike, and if you finish sooner, thats great.

MuddyWaters
04-25-2013, 18:54
Why do you have a goal to hike to a specific shelter, instead of to a specific place you are planning to leave a vehicle? Sees backwards.

Get an AT guide, like AWOLs, you will need it, it has everything in it you need to know.
Unicoi is reputed to be safe, apparently sherriff and police drive by there frequently and there is lots of traffic.
Its 52 miles from Springer to Unicoi. 5 days is certainly possible, even 4 if you are in shape and pack light. 6 should cover all bases.
Carry 4 days food to Neels, pickup what you think you will need for the next couple days when get there.

10aseejed
04-25-2013, 20:59
I'm doing Springer Mtn to Fontana Dam in 10 days. Hoping to hit trail the afternoon on may 8th, and making Franklin Nc by may 13 for resupply and overnight. I planning to reach Fontana may 18-19. I'm a seasoned long mile every weekend hiker. Is this goal reachable.

Sandy of PA
04-25-2013, 22:00
10aseejed The distance you propose is 166 miles. Only you know if it is reachable, for myself it is not across that terrain.

jberretta7
04-25-2013, 22:07
@max-the shuttle day counts but we're getting into GA on monday and won't start the trail until Tuesday and we're starting at the top of Springer and not the bottom. Thank you for all the advice. They are first time hikers for anything, I've backpacked before but not the AT.

@muddy-you're more than correct, I'm not sure how it all works so I misspoke. I mean't to ask it that way but I didn't.

@10asee- Start your own thread, don't hijack mine. Thanks.

MuddyWaters
04-25-2013, 22:33
@10Aseejed: Its certainly possible. After all, Jennifer Pharr did it in 3 days. The only question, is if YOU can do it, and only YOU can answer that.

Ive entertained the idea of a 12 day, Amicalola-Fontana hike before. Carrying 9 days food from Neels gap. Maybe fortunately, didnt act on it.

bigcranky
04-26-2013, 07:13
Unicoi Gap is supposed to be safe. There is a large parking area. I've not left a car there.

It's 50 miles from Springer to Unicoi. I'd expect it to take six days (Springer > Hawk > Gooch > Lance Creek > Neels > Low Gap > Unicoi Gap) If you hike a lot faster than that, good for you and you get there earlier. But this is a reasonable plan for a beginning long distance hiker.

Shuttles - call Neels Gap and ask for a list, or check the Companion or the AT Guide.

Any tent is fine. Not sure where you heard that.

Either tabs or the filter will work. I use tabs. There should be plenty of water in all the springs this time of year.

Not sure about fires, though I don't recall seeing a fire ban in the spring before. There are usually fire rings at all the shelters. I'd bring a stove for cooking, though.

Have fun. Great time of year for a hike in this section.

max patch
04-26-2013, 08:27
I'm doing Springer Mtn to Fontana Dam in 10 days. Hoping to hit trail the afternoon on may 8th, and making Franklin Nc by may 13 for resupply and overnight. I planning to reach Fontana may 18-19. I'm a seasoned long mile every weekend hiker. Is this goal reachable.

If you are a seasoned long mile every weekend hiker then you know better than us if your goal is reasonable.

I can tell you that the average thru hiker takes at least 2 weeks to get there.

stranger
04-27-2013, 20:58
It can vary considerably...I reached Blue Mountain on my 3rd day from Springer, another time it took me 7 days, GA is not easy so I would plan conservative in terms of mileage

MuddyWaters
05-03-2013, 08:25
I made Unicoi in 3 days from Amicalola, 61+ miles.

Be in shape
Start early
End late
Reasonable pack

Have footwear issues worked out beforehand.

Ga isnt particularly hard. It isnt particularly easy either. Its just normal southern AT trail IMO. Much the same as NC and TN.

I left a vehicle for 4 days at Unicoi with no problems.

magic_game03
05-03-2013, 08:53
Iodine tablets can be used without issues. Often when you buy tabs you can also buy the Clear-Up that you add to the iodine water just before you drink it. If you read the label to the Clear-Up you will notice it only has one ingredient, Ascorbic Acid or vitamin C. So If you have iodine tabs just add some sort of vitamin C to it before consumption, like drink mix. Most food also has vitamin C in them but I always just cary one or two tablets of 500mg C for neutralizing. this is NOT a taste neutralizer this is a chemical neutralizer so you can use the iodine for as long as you want.

While iodine tabs are useable through this section there are Pros and Cons to both filter or tablets. Since there are three of you I suggest taking the filter and tablets. Between three novices there are going to be times you are very tired and don't want to pump water so you can add tabs, but there are also probably going to be times one of you three make a mistake or mis-calculation and need water more immediately. Iodine takes a minimal of 1/2 hour to work properly. And if you don't want to be the donkey to carry the water filter weight just make an agreement that you all will rotate who carries it.