PDA

View Full Version : Balls & Sunshine: Triple Crown

imscotty
04-25-2013, 18:15
Hello All,

For those of you who enjoyed following Balls & Sunshine's AT and PCT hikes, they are now two weeks into their CDT triple crown attempt. If you want to read their trail journals posts, I suggest you start here and skip over all their sponsorship fawning...

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=407204

My hats off to anyone who can triple crown, but for Sunshine to (maybe) do it by the age of 13. Wow, she is one tough kid.

Scott

capehiker
04-25-2013, 19:08
I'm curious as to how they were able to get that many sponsors.

Dr. Professor
04-25-2013, 19:53
Hello All,

For those of you who enjoyed following Balls & Sunshine's AT and PCT hikes, they are now two weeks into their CDT triple crown attempt. If you want to read their trail journals posts, I suggest you start here and skip over all their sponsorship fawning...

My hats off to anyone who can triple crown, but for Sunshine to (maybe) do it by the age of 13. Wow, she is one tough kid.

Scott

Thanks for the heads up. I have no doubt they'll finish. It'll be fun to follow.

Mountain Mike
04-25-2013, 20:02

Completed AT & PCT. Great story of father & daughter team. I maybe inside contacts. Having completed AT when I decided to hike PCT a friend that owned a sporting goods store arranged sponsorship with their suppliers. Technica gave me my choice of any three boots on their new line that year to field test & Thorlo socks 24 pairs.

SCRUB HIKER
04-25-2013, 20:06
So many nice words about the Bridgford shelf-stable hot pockets and the Raw Organic oat bars in their sponsorship posts ... something tells me that they won't be singing the same tune in a few months.

capehiker
04-25-2013, 21:48
Technica gave me my choice of any three boots on their new line that year to field test & Thorlo socks 24 pairs.

That's pretty sweet!

Train Wreck
04-25-2013, 21:50

I'll bet Clif bars aren't on the sponsor list. Hikers aren't their core market, what I've heard :rolleyes:

imscotty
04-25-2013, 22:59

Well the father writes an outdoors column on an Oregon Newspaper, plus look at all the hits they have on their trailjournals, plus a 13 year old triple crowner makes for a compelling story. A good investment for the sponsors.

Mountain Mike
04-25-2013, 23:07
That's pretty sweet!
I was switching them out so often I had a waiting list of hikers that wanted my old socks.

rocketsocks
04-25-2013, 23:51
I was switching them out so often I had a waiting list of hikers that wanted my old socks.Now that's funny!21312

rocketsocks
04-25-2013, 23:54
Hello All,

ScottThanks for the heads up Scotty, look forward to folloing the father daughter team.....again!

Train Wreck
04-25-2013, 23:56
Now that's funny!21312

Sock ho's!!

rocketsocks
04-26-2013, 00:03
Sock ho's!!Really, I can just see it now...Mike come back, I just want to get into your socks, hehehe

leaftye
04-26-2013, 00:36
When I met them in 2010, my new hiking goal was to be able to hike like a 10 year old girl. That girl. I don't expect to ever be as accomplished as Sunshine will almost certainly be at the end of the year.

I don't mind them having sponsors. In fact I may respect them more for it. Doing 3 thru hikes in 3 years is an incredible financial challenge, x2 in this case. I can't afford that. Okay, I won't afford that. It's too much.