PDA

View Full Version : Advice for ChinMusic

ChinMusic
04-25-2013, 19:27
Now that I am passed Troutdale, VA I am in new territory for me. Since I'm hiking I don't have much time to read WB. Up until now it's all been familiar ground.

I would greatly appreciate info on must-stops, must-stays, must-eats as I move north. This thread will allow me a quick place to look when I have a signal.

I am at Partnership Shelter tonight and will hit The Barn in Atkins, VA tomorrow afternoon. I know Woods Hole is a must-stop further north.

Mountain Mike
04-25-2013, 19:40
If you need to resupply in Pearisburg the Holy Family Hostel is just a short walk to the Walmart & Pizza joint. Nice views from field in front of Hostel.21294212952129621297 Rice Field Shelter had great sunset views & morning clouded valleys. 2129821299

Mountain Mike
04-25-2013, 19:42
Homeplace Restaurant in Catawba & Rest up at 4 Pines Hostel.

Malto
04-25-2013, 19:55
Ditto Homeplace, but make sure you're hungry. It was the ultimate post section meal and would be heaven for a thru. Also would reco stay near the dismal falls area. Very nice area and lots of places to camp

HikerMom58
04-25-2013, 21:08
You must visit with HM.. Quick tour of Roanoke VA... Go to the Roanoke Star, off of the BRP, for an awesome view of the Roanoke Valley. :D

HikerMom58
04-25-2013, 21:10
If you need to resupply in Pearisburg the Holy Family Hostel is just a short walk to the Walmart & Pizza joint. Nice views from field in front of Hostel.21294212952129621297 Rice Field Shelter had great sunset views & morning clouded valleys. 2129821299

This and ........

Homeplace Restaurant in Catawba & Rest up at 4 Pines Hostel.

This....

OR stay at Woods Hole Hostel near Pearisburg .... nice people ... nice place... great food!!

And I agree with Malto....

The Old Chief
04-25-2013, 21:14
Don't miss out on a visit with Lois and Earl at the Dutch Haus in Montebello.

aficion
04-25-2013, 22:38
Call me when you get to Ottie Powell's memorial on Bluff Mountain, several miles after you cross the James River and a mile before the shelter at Punchbowl. Bluff Mountain is an awesome place to camp if you have water. Sunset and sunrise along with spectacular views. There is a back road to Punchbowl so I can have you in a real grocery store, Walmart, outfitter, great restaurants, my place, whatever in 20 minutes. Or, I can take you to Panther falls for a swim you won't forget. Or all of the above. Plan to camp near the Summit of Cole's Mountain too if it fits your schedule. 360 degree views from above 4,000 feet on a wide open bald. Also, if you like authentic German food, I could fetch you at Montebello and drop off the mountain to Edelweiss restaurant with great food and beer. I will pm you my ph # and hope you take me up on the offer. It would be my pleasure. Same goes for any Silly Walkers who may be lurking nearby. PM me if any of this sounds good. Happy trails!

Praha4
04-25-2013, 23:09
Good eats and/or must stops/good shelters:
a. The Barn in Atkins get the Hiker Burger. If weather is bad, u got the Relax Inn right there at the US-11 road xing.
b. Home Place is AYCE, great food, but u need to hitch or get 4 Pines Hostel to shuttle you there. If you don't have time for Home Place, Catawba Grocery is 0.3 miles down the road from the AT road xing, and has a great deli grill (hamburgers, pizza, homemade chicken salad sandwiches, ice cream
c. Trents Grocery only 0.3 miles down the road from the AT road xing, also has good deli-grill for pizza and cheeseburgers, sodas, ice cream
d. Woods Hole Hostel a must-stop. Get there before dinner time...around 7-7:30 pm
e. Pearisburg: Plaza Motel is great, Food Lion across street. Dairy Queen has best chocolate malts and shakes on the AT. Pizza Plus is awesome too. Mexican rest is awesome too.
f. Daleville: Hojo Express good place to stay. Lots of fast food nearby. Krogers down the street.
g. Campbell Shelter just a mile north of McAfee Knob is nice, has a large wooden deck in front of the shelter.

Pickle Branch Shelter is like 0.5 miles downhill from the AT.... long walk down a hill.

Pearisburg to Daleville section has awesome views and ridge walks... have a great hike, maybe see u on the trail I'm heading back up in a week or sooner

Leanthree
04-26-2013, 01:14
I am of no help, just wanted to say I love your journal. Armchair hiking vicariously through you is a pleasure.

Donde
04-26-2013, 03:26
Home Place is closed Mon-Wed. So try to act accordingly so won't need to bang a 30 mile Saturday to get there on Sunday, or double zero in the woods to get there on Thursday. If however that's what you gotta do, totally worth it.

Stalking Tortoise
04-26-2013, 06:54
Clean up a bit at the Dahlgren Campground in Maryland then enjoy a top-notch meal at the Old South Mountain Inn next door.

Jeff
04-26-2013, 07:30
Don't miss out on a visit with Lois and Earl at the Dutch Haus in Montebello.

Agreed...Dutch Haus is neat and clean & Lois makes a great dinner and breakfast.

They offer slackpacking options too.

FarmerChef
04-26-2013, 08:12
You're headed for some pretty sections coming up.

Enjoy McAfee Knob and the Tinker Cliffs. Beautiful views from both. Avoid John's Spring shelter. It's nice but there's iffy water. Lots more shelters in easy reach from there.
+1 for Woods Hole
+1 for HoJos in Daleville. The mexican restaurant across the street is great. A left on the trail NOBO along the road will take you to a shopping center with groceries, a Wendy's and more.
Paul C. Wolfe Shelter just before Waynesboro is gorgeous and serene. Assuming it's not packed with partyers you'll know when you get there.
Weezies for breakfast in Waynesboro.
The Shennies - take the time to smell the roses. Many beautiful overlooks are just a few feet off the trail on the BRP/Skyline Drive. Also try a blackberry shake at the Wayside. Otherwise the food is ridiculously expensive (like an amusement park)
Bear's Den Hostel in Northern VA. Must stop.
Blackburn Trail Center if you miss Bear's Den.
Swiss Miss in Harper's Ferry for ice cream
+1 on Dahlgren for a free shower right on the trail

More when you get further north. Enjoy your hike! :)

SOBO_Pace
04-26-2013, 08:36
The beer stein in wind gap, pa is a must stop. Awesome deal for hikers. You'll have to stay the night (free camping)to get the deal in the magic in the morning. My air bed may still be there too.:D

Deer Hunter
04-26-2013, 10:04
Call me when you get to Ottie Powell's memorial on Bluff Mountain, several miles after you cross the James River and a mile before the shelter at Punchbowl. Bluff Mountain is an awesome place to camp if you have water. Sunset and sunrise along with spectacular views. There is a back road to Punchbowl so I can have you in a real grocery store, Walmart, outfitter, great restaurants, my place, whatever in 20 minutes. Or, I can take you to Panther falls for a swim you won't forget. Or all of the above. Plan to camp near the Summit of Cole's Mountain too if it fits your schedule. 360 degree views from above 4,000 feet on a wide open bald. Also, if you like authentic German food, I could fetch you at Montebello and drop off the mountain to Edelweiss restaurant with great food and beer. I will pm you my ph # and hope you take me up on the offer. It would be my pleasure. Same goes for any Silly Walkers who may be lurking nearby. PM me if any of this sounds good. Happy trails!

If Aficion can't help you, I would be glad to help if needed. :)

"Plan to camp near the Summit of Cole's Mountain too if it fits your schedule. 360 degree views from above 4,000 feet on a wide open bald." I agree

"Bluff Mountain is an awesome place to camp if you have water. Sunset and sunrise along with spectacular views." I agree.

moytoy
04-26-2013, 12:51
Anyone who would like to put a warm smile on your face needs to read ChinMusic's journal entry last night. I wish I could give must see sights CM but I have never been north of Tenn on the AT.

HikerMom58
04-26-2013, 13:27
Anyone who would like to put a warm smile on your face needs to read ChinMusic's journal entry last night. I wish I could give must see sights CM but I have never been north of Tenn on the AT.

"Anyone who would like to put a warm smile on your face needs to read ChinMusic's journal entry last night." I concur...

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=14317

Another Kevin
04-26-2013, 14:28
CM: Only piece of advice that I can give you as a clueless weekender is: GO ILLINI!

aficion
04-26-2013, 15:28
If Aficion can't help you, I would be glad to help if needed. :)

"Plan to camp near the Summit of Cole's Mountain too if it fits your schedule. 360 degree views from above 4,000 feet on a wide open bald." I agree

"Bluff Mountain is an awesome place to camp if you have water. Sunset and sunrise along with spectacular views." I agree.

Great pics DH....Thanks!

Jack Tarlin
04-26-2013, 15:39
Make sure you hit Catawba at the right time of the week so you can go to the Homeplace; make sure to stay with Joe and Josh Mitchell at 4 Pines Hostel. Great place, great people.

ChinMusic
05-10-2013, 12:24
Just finished a wonderful stay with HikerMom and Byron. Got in some good miles even during that awful weather thanks to their advice. Heading north today from the Guillotine area.

turtle fast
05-10-2013, 17:23
I have to second...no third....the Dutch Haus B&B Lois and her husband do a great job. Just call when you get to the Fish Hatchery road crossing as they will pick you up. As well, if you needed to slackpack (If that is ok in your hiking philosophy) to make up some miles they do that too. I also have to say Trents grocery is good too for some treats, or if you really wanted they have a camping space with shower and washer/dryer for washing clothes if needed.