PDA

View Full Version : How do I fix my tent zipper?

Little Frog
07-07-2005, 10:55
My tent zipper suddenly started separating, I zip it up and it just comes right apart above the zipper.

Any advice on how to fix?

Thanks

LF

jackiebolen
07-07-2005, 11:20
If you value your tent, take it to the outfitter and get them to do a proper job for you! That's at least what I would do.

Pilgrim24
07-07-2005, 11:33
Try gently squeezing both side of the slider with a pair of pliers. This has worked for me, and even if it doesn't you're no worse off.

gsingjane
07-07-2005, 11:53
I went through this with a second-hand tent we were given and I can tell you what we heard and tried. First, of course, you will want to see if you can fix it yourself. Ours was too far gone to do that, but maybe if it isn't a bad problem, you can do that (as noted above). Second, you should contact the manufacturer. They will have a procedure where you can send it in (hopefully). If you don't have a manufacturer where you can send it (ours was a no-name tent) you could contact your local gear store and ask them where they send things for repair. We contacted EMS and they do have a place in NH where they send things. Fourth, you could try Rainy Pass Repair (just search on that name). They have a form where you can send it in to get an estimate and then they will fix the zipper. Fifth, you could also try checking around the local dry cleaners and/or tailors and/or sailmakers to see if they could sew onto your tent fabric.

I will tell you that after all that... we decided it wasn't worth it to fix the zipper and we just bought a new tent. But the one we had was really old and ratty and really wasn't worth spending much to fix it.

HTH,

Jane in CT

Little Frog
07-07-2005, 14:25
Try gently squeezing both side of the slider with a pair of pliers. This has worked for me, and even if it doesn't you're no worse off.
Thanks, that worked! Wow!

soulrebel
07-17-2005, 11:02
along the teeth, which will help them glide more easily. works for those favorite jeans too.

Slim aka Nancy
07-19-2005, 09:55
My tent zipper suddenly started separating, I zip it up and it just comes right apart above the zipper.

Any advice on how to fix?

Thanks

LFAre the teeth plastic or metal? Usually the plastic teeth are stressed from tension the tent puts on the zipper. This can also happen to metal teeth zippers. I would try the advice people gave you but in the end you will probably have to replace the zipper. If the tent is relatively new and from a prominent manufacturer I would go back to the manufacturer. If older find for a good seamstress. I would volunteer to repair it but I'd like to see what the tent looks like first and where the zipper is located. Therefore what tent is it and which zipper?