PDA

View Full Version : Mile 43 on the trail and can't walk. Any ideas??

Katiepecbvda
04-26-2013, 07:17
Does anyone know if there are any roads near Low Gap Shelter in Georgia before Unicoi Gap? My knees have been hurting really bad. I took a zero in Neels Gap and then hiked 11.5 miles yesterday. Now one of my knees is on fire and there's no way I can walk more than a couple miles. It hurts so bad. I need to get into a town to see a doctor

NOBO April 19 or 20
Http://dubsontheat.wordpress.com

mrcoffeect
04-26-2013, 07:26
unfortunately I think you must back track to get to the closest road.

Trillium
04-26-2013, 07:56
Yes, the closest is to go back to Hogpen Gap. No roads between Low Gap & Unicoi and not as good terrain, particularly as approaching Blue Mountain due to rocks.

I was told that they had to rescue a hiker the day after I was at Low Gap due to dehydration. Apparently, there is a service road nearby for official use.

Gray Blazer
04-26-2013, 07:58
I was told that they had to rescue a hiker the day after I was at Low Gap due to dehydration. Apparently, there is a service road nearby for official use.

I've heard this several times.

Blissful
04-26-2013, 08:00
Take a heavy dose if ibuprofen (Advil) if you have it and try to make it back. Take care!!

Not to disparage the other hiker at all, but this is a good reason to carry maps.

max patch
04-26-2013, 08:22

I did trail maintenance years ago near Low Gap using that road so things may have changed, but at the time it was locked and gated and the GATC had a key.

bigcranky
04-26-2013, 08:26
Backtrack to Hogpen Gap. Take your time, and good luck.

Malto
04-26-2013, 08:45
The topo maps are showing that the old road from Low Gap continues down into civilization. It looks like it is 9.3miles until you hit Rt 75 with 1300 ft of elevation loss. But I'm not sure how good of an idea it is to go "off trail" with a gimpy knee. Your best bet is to Advil up and take it slow and hitch out from the AT trailhead. If you head back to wide gap, 1.7miles to the south, you will find a trail intersection (chattahoochee trail is what is shown on my map) going off to the right (west). 1.3 miles down is route 348 which is the same road as wolf pen gap. This is a total of 3 miles with a gain of 500' and a loss of 1300' I suspect you have several days worth of food so take it slow. Good luck.

HikerMom58
04-26-2013, 10:17
Good luck to you! You have some good solid advice here! Will be thinking of you...

Katiepecbvda
04-26-2013, 12:57
I just got down to hogpen gap and am waiting for my shuttle into hiawassi. Anyone know if there's a walk in clinic or doctor who can do X-rays on a Friday or Saturday there?

Y'all are all really helpful. I appreciate it. I zeroed in Neels Gap for a day and Baltimore Jack just said to take tons of ibuprofen and keep going but it got too bad yesterday

NOBO April 19 or 20

jj2044
04-26-2013, 13:20
6:17 you were at low gap shelter, 11:57 you got to Hogpen....... I think you made better time then I did when I was at 100% lol. Good luck I hope everything is fine with the knee.

generoll
04-26-2013, 16:21
there is a FS road that comes to within a mile of Low Gap, but it looks like you've made it out OK. Hiawassee has a hospital with an ER.

Train Wreck
04-26-2013, 16:36
I just got down to hogpen gap and am waiting for my shuttle into hiawassi. Anyone know if there's a walk in clinic or doctor who can do X-rays on a Friday or Saturday there?

Y'all are all really helpful. I appreciate it. I zeroed in Neels Gap for a day and Baltimore Jack just said to take tons of ibuprofen and keep going but it got too bad yesterday

NOBO April 19 or 20

Chatuge Regional Hospital is a small facility in Hiawassee ph. 706-896-2222 does not appear to have a walk in clinic but has an ER. The next closest walk in clinic is in Hayesville, 828-389-3608 but not sure about Sat. Hours. There is an urgent care facility in Murphy (about 30 miles) open on Sat & Sun 828-837-4712. Good luck & hope you feel better soon.

Katiepecbvda
04-26-2013, 18:56
The hospital doctor couldn't tell how bad the tears are bad cuz they can only do MRIs on Wednesdays. The doc suggested going home but said I can rest for a week and try again. If the pain comes back as bad to go home and go to an orthopedic

NOBO April 19 or 20

HikerMom58
04-26-2013, 19:31
Thanks for the update Katie...take good care of yourself!

zukiguy
04-26-2013, 20:58
My last section hike I ended up with similar symptoms. I hit the orthopedic clinic when I got home. The doc there basically said that some people have very elastic tendons and ligaments (gumby) and others don't. I'm a "Gumby" and so walking over uneven terrain my patella tends to float around because of this elasticity. I ended up having some of the ligaments (maybe the ACL) rubbing because the patella was out of place. It was pain like someone shoving a needle into my knee. When I woke up in the morning it was like my knee was locked in position. It hurt so bad to break it loose the first few steps. He gave me a knee brace that had a little cutout to hold my knee cap in place a little. So far I haven't used it, I've just been smart enough to slow down rather than try and push through the pain. So far so good. Hopefully a little rest, ice, and some time off your feet and you'll be back on the trail.

Good luck,

WMR
04-26-2013, 21:00
Hope it's only a bad case of Hiker's Knee. Lots of discussion here on WB about it. I've had it, excrutiating, thought I couldn't take another step, esp. on downhill. If that's what it is, you need knee bands. Not the old-fashioned stretchy elasctic type, you need the semi-rigid narrow bands that go around the bottom of the knee cap, attach with velcro. Miracle cure for me, put them on when I start, never feel a thing after. Good luck.

greenmtnboy
04-26-2013, 21:13
Pain is an indication that something is out of whack. Time to let it recover. I believe in natural treatments, though pain relievers may have their place. When I used Tiger Balm, essential oils of birch, wintergreen, and so forth, gave the muscles in my legs more resilience.

chris too
04-26-2013, 22:09
I really feel refreshed by many of the people on this site. It gives me a renewed perspective on humanity; there are so many helpful, caring individuals on here. I just feel better and better about my upcoming section hike in September. I guess since I'm hiking at such a weird time, fellow hikers might be limited; but I hope I at least get to run into a few people like you.

Carry-On
04-26-2013, 22:24
Hope it's only a bad case of Hiker's Knee. Lots of discussion here on WB about it. I've had it, excrutiating, thought I couldn't take another step, esp. on downhill. If that's what it is, you need knee bands. Not the old-fashioned stretchy elasctic type, you need the semi-rigid narrow bands that go around the bottom of the knee cap, attach with velcro. Miracle cure for me, put them on when I start, never feel a thing after. Good luck.

+1

I bought mine at Wal-Mart and it helped me finish my thruhike.

Venchka
04-26-2013, 22:40
Get well soon! Listen to your body. Take it easy. If 11 mile days are crippling you, do 5 mile days. When 5 miles/day doesn't hurt, try 6 miles/day. Build up your mileage slowly.
Good luck!

Wayne

Carry-On
04-26-2013, 22:45
Get well soon! Listen to your body. Take it easy. If 11 mile days are crippling you, do 5 mile days. When 5 miles/day doesn't hurt, try 6 miles/day. Build up your mileage slowly.
Good luck!

Wayne

+1

I agree completely, and I had to drop to 5 mile days near Wayah Bald because of a horrible rash on my leg that wouldn't heal until I gave it a break. Then I took a nero and a zero at the NOC and then I was okay to hike on.

gravitino
04-28-2013, 09:42

Is something like this what you mean?
http://www.braceshop.com/productcart/pc/Mueller-Hinged-Wraparound-Knee-202p311.htm

Bear Cables
04-28-2013, 14:18

Where do you get this kind of strap? I had to get off the trail this week half way through my section hike because of downhill knee pain. So frustrating because in 15 years of hiking I have never had any pain of any kind! Fortuately I was only a mile and a half from Tray Gap and didn't have to negotiate going down to Unicoi.

Coosa
04-28-2013, 15:30
Check out The Cho-Pat Strap (http://www.cho-pat.com/)
But I got my 'look alike' at a regular pharmacy.

Here is info on Iliotibial Band Syndrome (http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/iliotibial-band-syndrome?page=single)
More Iliotibial Band Syndrome information (http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/knee-pain/iliotibial-band-syndrome)
And Some exercises for Iliotibial Band Syndrome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RC7VH3bEB4)

CamelMan
04-28-2013, 19:38
If you feel any looseness in the knee, you shouldn't hike until it tightens up. Ignoring this is what caused me to tear my meniscus. I was lucky that the tear was minor, I had surgery and a few months of physical therapy, exercises I do to this day and intend to do on my thru. Still, I worry about finishing. IMO no single hike is worth jeopardizing a lifetime of potential hiking for. Then again I'm hiking with foot pain.

Patella tracking strengthening was a big part of the PT. If your swelling and pain subside, try the knee brace as others have suggested. Please do not take a gram of vit. I and continue hiking.

I'm not a doctor and YMMV. Good luck and I hope everything works out well.

CamelMan
04-28-2013, 19:47
(The rest of the PT was strengthening supporting muscles and rotation, eventually with plyometrics even. Connective tissue and liaments do take 3x as long to strengthen as muscles. Not sure if glucosamine/condroitin is just a gimmick or not.)

Second Half
04-28-2013, 22:30
Check out The Cho-Pat Strap (http://www.cho-pat.com/)

A big +1 to the Cho-Pat. I use the Dual Action knee strap. Before I got them I'd get bad knee pains within the first mile or 2 of a hike, or almost immediately if starting on a steep ascent or descent. Since getting them I have zero knee pain. They're bulky and ugly but they work miracles, for me at least. YMMV.

Wadadli
04-29-2013, 12:59
A big +1 to the Cho-Pat. I use the Dual Action knee strap. Before I got them I'd get bad knee pains within the first mile or 2 of a hike, or almost immediately if starting on a steep ascent or descent. Since getting them I have zero knee pain. They're bulky and ugly but they work miracles, for me at least. YMMV.

Another vote here for the Cho-Pat. My husband injured his knee and was having a rather difficult time hiking. I ordered him a trio of knee braces and he likes the Cho-Pat the best. He says it feels good and I've noticed he's gotten speedier. Yay.

WMR
04-29-2013, 14:39
I use one similar to Cho Pat, found them in pharmacy section of a Mart (K-Mart, I think?)

MuddyWaters
05-03-2013, 08:44
Ive encountered numerous people having knee issues on the trail, many having to get off due to it.
No age group has a monopoly on it. Seems as common to me in 20-somethings as in 60-somethings.
Id say....10-20% of the people starting on the trail find they have knee issues in the first couple of days. Just a wild guesstimate.
Thats not including the ones I see with braces, that are not having problems.

I am somewhat amazed, so many people will set out on an expensive trip they planned months for, without having at least tried a few shorter shakedown trips to see if their body was even up to it.

Swordpen
05-04-2013, 01:43
For anyone with hip or knee pain, boy, I'd say, you better keep your pack weight at 25# (& THATS on a resupply day!)

It can be done with 3.5 days food & 2 liters water.

And, get a knee brace anyway, even a simple one, like a Chopat & hiking poles (yes, plural!)

You don't want to be messing with needing a hip or knee replacement in =< 10 years. Been there done that. I have a hip replacement, its an ugly surgery & rehab time.

jesse
05-04-2013, 02:52
... Baltimore Jack just said to take tons of ibuprofen and keep going...

Only thing good about the advise from other hikers is its free. Listen to your body. Stop walking. Go home, see your doctor, heal. Keep walking and you'll be having surgery. Don't listen to morons.

max patch
05-04-2013, 11:56
The OP didn't post to ask for medical advice. She was asking about the quickest way to get to a road so she could get her knee checked out. And 4 hours later she was there.

Katiepecbvda
05-15-2013, 13:38
The OP didn't post to ask for medical advice. She was asking about the quickest way to get to a road so she could get her knee checked out. And 4 hours later she was there.

I did end up asking for medical advice after I got into town. I guess you are mad about that or something, so I will post my next question in a new thread

Thank you everyone for your help. If anyone knows the best place to get back on the trail with knee problems, go to the thread I'm about to post. Thanx

NOBO April 19 or 20

max patch
05-15-2013, 13:53
Not mad about anything.

Just pointing out to all the good intentioned people here giving out medical advice that the purpose of the thread was how you could get to town ASAP. 4 hours later you were in town enroute to being examined by a real doctor who was going to give you a real exam before offering real advice.

I'm glad you're able to resume your hike.