PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike - Neel's Gap to Standing Indian

Moogie
04-26-2013, 09:49
Good morning fellow hikers! Finally getting back on the trail after doing Springer to Neel's Gap a few years ago.

I am planning a solo section hike starting in Neel's Gap on 5/25 and ending in Standing Indian later that week. I would appreciate any information for this stretch of the AT. Being in Illinois, dont spend much time in the mountains, lol. I did have a few questions:

- I have the AT topo map of this section and it appears a bit more "tame" than the Springer to Neel's section. I did 10 miles a day during that section, could i expect about the same, or maybe a few more, for this next section?

- Do I need to filter water in this section? I know that is usually a personal choice question, but I am sure someone has some feeling on the water quality.

- Water sources were not an issue with the first section I did, but I also did that one in early April. Will I need to worry about sources in late May?

- At Standing Indian; I know there is a 4(?) mile service road that leads from the trail to the campground where i will be picked up. Will that trail be clearly visible? Any landmarks I should watch out for?

- Lastly. My first trip was with my brother. We cut our trip short after he hurt his knee coming down from Blood Mt. This will be my first solo Hike. As long as I am not braindead, no worries for a single male hiker, right?

Thanks all for any input you may have. Hope to see a lot of hikers that week.

Moogie

flemdawg1
04-26-2013, 10:00
Good morning fellow hikers! Finally getting back on the trail after doing Springer to Neel's Gap a few years ago.

I am planning a solo section hike starting in Neel's Gap on 5/25 and ending in Standing Indian later that week. I would appreciate any information for this stretch of the AT. Being in Illinois, dont spend much time in the mountains, lol. I did have a few questions:

- I have the AT topo map of this section and it appears a bit more "tame" than the Springer to Neel's section. I did 10 miles a day during that section, could i expect about the same, or maybe a few more, for this next section?a Its about the same terrian wise.

- Do I need to filter water in this section? I know that is usually a personal choice question, but I am sure someone has some feeling on the water quality. I always purify, but there are no farms near the water sources, so you could get by without.

- Water sources were not an issue with the first section I did, but I also did that one in early April. Will I need to worry about sources in late May? This year has actually been very wet, so as long as rainfall stays about the same, you should be fine.

- At Standing Indian; I know there is a 4(?) mile service road that leads from the trail to the campground where i will be picked up. Will that trail be clearly visible? Any landmarks I should watch out for? 4 miles is down the Kimsey Creek trl, the FS road is significantly longer. Yes the trail is pretty obvious and well blazed.

- Lastly. My first trip was with my brother. We cut our trip short after he hurt his knee coming down from Blood Mt. This will be my first solo Hike. As long as I am not braindead, no worries for a single male hiker, right? Well there is that aggressive tribe of Amazon women...

Thanks all for any input you may have. Hope to see a lot of hikers that week.

Moogie...............

Moogie
04-26-2013, 10:09
Thanks Flemdawg... I think coming across a tribe of aggressive amazons would be the highlight of my hike.

So, to clarify, which would be best to get to the campground? The FS road or the Kimsey Creek trail?

Gray Blazer
04-26-2013, 12:21
Thanks Flemdawg... I think coming across a tribe of aggressive amazons would be the highlight of my hike.

So, to clarify, which would be best to get to the campground? The FS road or the Kimsey Creek trail?

The FS road does not go to Standing Indian Campground. It takes you out to Highway 64 at the county line quite a distance from the campground. Take the Kinsey Creek Trail. Look out for Dr Kinsey and the amazon women.

Seatbelt
04-26-2013, 12:22
- I have the AT topo map of this section and it appears a bit more "tame" than the Springer to Neel's section. I did 10 miles a day during that section, could i expect about the same, or maybe a few more, for this next section?

Moogie

Actually there are more and tougher climbs for a NOBO north of Neels Gap. The first 20 miles or so are not bad but after Unicoi the climbs are tougher, that is my recollection.

scope
04-26-2013, 13:28
Actually there are more and tougher climbs for a NOBO north of Neels Gap. The first 20 miles or so are not bad but after Unicoi the climbs are tougher, that is my recollection.

Between Unicoi Gap and Muskrat Creek shelter, the climbs are more severe, though somewhat less constant up and down.

...which would be best to get to the campground? The FS road or the Kimsey Creek trail?

Must be some confusion, maybe someone referred to the Kimsey Creek trail as an old road? I don't know how many miles the Deep Gap road is (the only road I know about in that area) but you wouldn't want to walk it, and it doesn't go to the campground as others noted. Your original post states "at Standing Indian" which made me think of the Lower Ridge trail which descends from the AT to the campground at Standing Indian Mt, about 2.5m past the road at Deep Gap. Its a 4m trail.

My guess is that you're talking about taking the Kimsey Creek trail at Deep Gap down to the Standing Indian campground - also 4m. From where you come out from the AT at Deep Gap, the KC trail is across the road and to the left and is marked with a vertical marker, as are both AT-south and AT-north, the latter of which goes up to the right. The climb up to Standing Indian Mt. is a lot easier than it looks like on the profile map (a bit like the climb up the south side of Blood) and if you have extra time, would be worth the trip to the top to see that view, and then take the Lower Ridge trail down to camp - which incidently, comes into the parking area more directly than the KC trail does. If you've never been to that parking area before, getting there from the KC trail can be confusing, especially if your ride doesn't know about it. Its not too bad, just don't be surprised if you have to do a little figuring out once you come out on the KC trail.

scope
04-26-2013, 13:47
By the way, here's a link to a map of the area... Deep Gap is marked by the parking symbol near item #10.

http://www.sherpaguides.com/north_carolina/mountains/maps/southern_nantahala_standing_indian.html

Moogie
04-26-2013, 14:14
Thank you very much for the information everyone.

Scope- think im going to take your advice and hike up Standing Indian, and then head to the campground down the lower ridge trail. i have a full day wiggle room in my itinerary, so sounds like a good use.