PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike Suggestions

FloridaKid
04-26-2013, 14:17
Im planning on hiking about 300 miles beginning around May 15. Does anyone know of or recommend a section worth hiking around that time period? Thanks

chiefiepoo
04-26-2013, 17:00
I'd just start at Springer and go toward Hot Springs. Don't know what your transportation choices are, but a Springer start +300 will give you personal exposure to many of the joys and pains discussed here on WB. Approach trail, Blood mtn., Hiawassee, Neels gap, Bly gap, Standing Indian, Albert mtn, Franklin, NC, NOC, Fontana, Shuckstack, Clingmans Dome, Newfound Gap, Gatlinburg, charlies Bunion, Standing Bear hostel, Max Patch, Hot Springs, and maybe even Uncle Johnny's in Erwin would be yours to enjoy. Weather ought to mild and you'd have a good start on section hiking the entire AT.

Del Q
04-27-2013, 09:35
I have section hiked from Erwin to Franconia Notch, the sections from Damascus to Erwin were GREAT!

Add in the Grayson Highlands and you will have a WOW experience in May.

stranger
04-27-2013, 11:27
I will second Springer to Hot Springs-Erwin area. All the thru-hikers will be north of you, you can enjoy the beautiful southern mountains and not have to stress about the crowds. It's still early enough to see some chilly weather, the Smokies will probably be beautiful, not too hot, perfect time of year in the south.

RED-DOG
04-27-2013, 11:38
How about Hot Springs to Damascus thats one of my favorite sections, it's in your mile range and if you got a couple extra days you can hike up to Grayson Highlands, plus you'll hike, Unaka MT, Roan MT, the Hump's, Laurel Falls, Go have fun and Happy hiking.

Kerosene
04-27-2013, 14:47
Mid-may in GA/NC is pretty darn nice. 300 miles will take you 3-4 weeks to cover.

I'd either start at Springer, which will get you to Hot Springs, or perhaps start at Hot Springs and try to get to Pearisburg.

Enjoy!