PDA

View Full Version : Parking near Daleville and Atkins VA

T Rex
07-07-2005, 12:17
I am looking into doing a 2 week section hike with an approximate midpoint of Pearisburg VA and am trying to find some options about where to leave my car. Does anyone know if I can leave my car at the Park and Ride in Daleville, VA? Is there parking where the trail crosses 311 by Catawba? And is there any parking by where the trail crosses 81 exit 50 and US11/VA 683 near Atkins? Also, info on finding a shuttle would be helpful.

Thanks

T Rex

anneandbenhike
07-07-2005, 14:08
T Rex, I hiked some of this section last fall and some this year...There is definitely parking in Atkins/Groseclose at the Relax Inn. The guy there is very nice and he charges $5 for as long as you need to park, unless you are staying at his inn and then it is FREE! It is safe and you are parked in front of the Inn where he can see the car from the office....very nice. I would not recommend parking on 311 in Catawba. It is on a back road and although I think it is possible, I would use a shuttle. In Daleville, VA, we left a car in the Park and Ride for a week and had no problem at all. It is near the interstate and near lots of restaurants and hotels. After we parked there, we were shuttled by a very talkative, self professed "trail angel". His name is Delwood Schechterly out of Fincastle, VA. He works at the Catawba Hospital. His email is [email protected] and his phone number is 540-992-1527. We had him shuttle three of us to Rt. 60 out of Buena Vista for a southbound section hike to Daleville. He said that he would come to Pearisburg if we needed a ride there on another section hike, though it is a bit far for him. You have to work out the $$ but I think he charges $1/mile, and maybe more now that gas is up in price! He actually did not quote a price but said it was "donation" only. He repeatedly asked when we would be out of the woods and he actually came to meet us to make sure we were "safe". I think he just likes people. You can also get the names of shuttlers off the ATC site in case he is not available. Pearisburg is as far South as he goes and that is pretty far for him. We used him a second time a few weeks later for a hike Northbound from Catawba to Daleville. From the way he talks, he does alot of shuttling in the area and I have not heard any bad reports! Hope this helps.

anneandbenhike
07-07-2005, 14:21
Just called a friend who had been in this section and he also has a name of a shuttler out of Daleville...Aubrey Taylor 540-261-6998, like Delwood, quite a talker.

Doc
07-07-2005, 15:24
A few weeks ago I section-hiked in the area and left my car with Maine plates at the Econolodge after stating there overnight. Mark from the local outfitter shuttled us. An additional benefit with Mark was his dog Sidney-a delight.

Doc

Kerosene
07-07-2005, 20:05
I would consider leaving your car at the EconoLodge or the Best Western across the street in Daleville.

There is a big parking lot at the base of Catawba Mountain, VA-311, that usually has a number of cars in the parking lot, but it's a pretty heavily trafficked area. Ask Hikerhead what he thinks of parking there (he's from Roanoke).

I second the suggestion for Relax Inn in Groseclose. It's right on the Trail.

Think about re-supplying at Trent's Grocery (just south of Dismal Creek Falls), Pearisburg (Wade's Grocery is just after you cross the bridge over the New River; Food Lion is a mile up the road close to motels), and Bland (an easy 2.5 miles to a small IGA if you can't get a hitch; Subway and motel are another mile).

The Gnome
07-08-2005, 09:45
I second the suggestion for Relax Inn in Groseclose. It's right on the Trail.

Think about re-supplying at ... Bland (an easy 2.5 miles to a small IGA if you can't get a hitch; Subway and motel are another mile).

I third the Relax Inn suggestion. Outstandingly friendly folks from India who know just how important the A.T. is to their survival.

I shuttled into Bland from the I-77 overbridge within two minutes. Second car.
ABB have a factory nearby and there is a lot of traffic on the Bland Rd.

Fat Man Walking
07-08-2005, 18:24
T-Rex,

When are you going?

Tractor and I will be starting at Fox Creek on Saturday, July 23 then finishing up at Daleville on Saturday August 5.

Right now, I have a shuttle scheduled to pick me up at the Outdoor Trails Outfitter in Daleville at 2.00 p.m. on Friday 7/22 and take me to Damascus to meet Tractor, unless he gets off work earlier and can get to Daleville sooner.

We're staying at Dave's Place that night then hitting the trail at Fox Creek the next morning.

Would love to share the shuttle (and of course, it's cost) if you're interested.

Or, if Tractor can get there at a reasonable hour, I see no reason why you couldn't join us and we skip the shuttle.

Either way, just let me know

Happy Trails

Fat Man Walking

T Rex
07-11-2005, 12:50
Thanks for everyone's help. We aren't going until Oct! Talk about pre-planning! I just like to get all my options out there so I can think about them before I actually have to use them. Thanks for all the info. It was so helpful!

T Rex

Fat Man Walking
07-11-2005, 23:31
Thanks for everyone's help. We aren't going until Oct! Talk about pre-planning! I just like to get all my options out there so I can think about them before I actually have to use them. Thanks for all the info. It was so helpful!

T Rex
Oh well, Hope that you have a great hike.

Would love to do it in October but, work won't let me. Have to go in the heat of summer. But, it's fun none the less.

I'd say that I have to echo what you have been told above. We're just doing this way because this is what works best for us.

Remember, Hike your own hike.

Peace and Happy Trails

Far Man Walking

"There's a fat man in the bath tub with the AT Blues."