PDA

View Full Version : SAR removes sick hiker from Jerry's Cabin Shelter today

The Cleaner
04-26-2013, 20:53
I arrived at the shelter today just after noon today for a clean-up and to finish cutting some downed trees near the shelter.As soon as I got there I saw a tent just below the shelter and a food bag on the bear line.After a little while had passed I could see that someone had emerged from the tent.I went down and found a young female hiker crying and puking.She said that she had been sick several days ago with the "virus" and had became sick last night and was not able to keep any fluids in her stomach.I told her to rest and in a while maybe she could walk out to my truck 2 miles away at Fork Ridge trailhead.Then 2 older women gave her some meds but she could not keep them down.Well after an hour or so she was really felling worse and I pulled the trigger on 911. I had to walk up above the spring the the ridge crest to get a cell signal.I got Greene Co. 911 dispatch and told the details.This was at 2pm.Meanwhile thru hikers were coming past and some stopped for water.About 20 hikers had come& gone,only the 2 older ladies offering help.Seemed like once the hikers found out that she was sick they didn't stick around to offer any help.The one big hiker community thing must have a clause to make tracks when you encounter a hiker with a virus. Her phone would not get a signal so I had to hike up to make the call.Well after 3 hours 2 4 wheelers with Madison Co. Rescue Squad members.They had came up the AT from the road all the way past the Shelton graves.Seemed like a better idea to come up from Round Knob only 2.75 miles away and much easier.Then she had to ride behind a driver and hold on to him.Well for those who do not know the old AT/jeep road is very rough climbing out of the gap there and that alone would give some a stomach ache.So I guess she is being treated somewhere in Madison Co. at this time.Anyone who may know this person can PM me, with a phone # and I'll update you via telephone.I do not think she is in serious condition and just needed IV fluids.I hope all goes well for her.21334213352133621337

rhjanes
04-26-2013, 21:38
Thank YOU for helping her and for your trail work. :clap

BuckeyeBill
04-26-2013, 23:04
Cleaner to the rescue again. Thanks Alot Cleaner for all that you do.

HikerMom58
04-26-2013, 23:09
Wow... you're a good man Cleaner!! :)

Rain Man
04-27-2013, 03:39
I'm glad she had you to step up and offer help! Here's wishing a speedy recovery.

Rain:sunMan

4Bears
04-27-2013, 05:35
Thanks, Cleaner, you are a true servant, and much appreciated!!

mrcoffeect
04-27-2013, 07:25
You are truly a gentleman. thank you cleaner.

TOW
04-27-2013, 07:38
Makes you wonder if she had fell and broken a bone how many thru hikers would have walked on past her..?

The Cleaner
04-27-2013, 07:54
Makes you wonder if she had fell and broken a bone how many thru hikers would have walked on past her..? Once I informed passing hikers that she had "the virus" most acted like she had the plague.I asked 2 younger female hikers if one of them would go talk to her and tell her help was on the way and they didn't like the idea.I thought that having someone of the same sex and age speak to her would help a bit.Many hikers would not even go near the shelter.BTW it ain't in the water,I drank untreated spring water:eek: while there and also from Little Laurel last week...

Pedaling Fool
04-27-2013, 08:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMIxHaZzzJI :)

Del Q
04-27-2013, 09:30
I section hiked from Damascus to Erwin a few weeks ago, a scary high-percentage of the thru hikers had been inflicted with this norovirus. Like North of 70%!!!!

Maybe one day
04-27-2013, 12:46
Thanks for helping this lady, while potentially putting yourself at risk. I once had a serious mountain biking accident at Tsali...had to have Swain County Rescue come in to get me...several bikers passed us (my wife and son were there) and they all offered or rendered assistance in some way. One man even gave me warm clothes with no provisions to get them back. Fortunately he was in the parking lot while I was being loaded into ambulance so he got his stuff back..but all in all I am always grateful for the help I received from the passers by and the Rescue Squad (the EMT was named Bobbie Jo - I will never forget her). She will never forget what you did even if she never sees you again.

10-K
04-27-2013, 15:41
I picked up a man and woman hiker today who saw the ATV's pull up.... I figured it was you that called the rescue service. :)

aficion
04-27-2013, 15:52
Reminds me of the story of another good guy not far from Damascus. Luke: 30-35. You are a good Samaritan.:)

The Cleaner
04-27-2013, 16:02
I picked up a man and woman hiker today who saw the ATV's pull up.... I figured it was you that called the rescue service. :) Seems like most hikers avoiding shelters ,I've not seen as much trash at them...

SCRUB HIKER
04-27-2013, 17:02
About 20 hikers had come& gone,only the 2 older ladies offering help.Seemed like once the hikers found out that she was sick they didn't stick around to offer any help.The one big hiker community thing must have a clause to make tracks when you encounter a hiker with a virus.

I can't say I blame the thru-hikers for avoiding her. They saw that she was being helped, and had their own safety to look after. For someone out on a weekend hike or a clean-up, like Cleaner, there's less of a risk involved in coming into contact with a sick hiker. Obviously, he's still committing a noble and selfless act because his opening himself to the possibility of becoming violently ill, but if he were to contract the disease, he would probably start showing symptoms once he was back in civilization, where illness is easier to combat. Not so for the thru-hikers, who would be facing the prospect of becoming ill later on in a wilderness setting, possibly miles from water, roads or help. That could conceivably become a survival situation. Just like in any wilderness rescue situation, you have to evaluate the risk undertaken by the rescuers themselves--in this case that risk was different for Cleaner than it was for the thru-hikers.

I think the girl would have been helped out by the thru-hikers if no one else had been there first. But when you walk up as a thru-hiker, see that a patient is being responsibly tended to by three others and you don't have any extra help to offer, and additionally you have serious risks to your own safety to consider, what else are you going to do? Move on for sure. I don't think that was such a terrible thing to do.

Thanks to Cleaner and the older ladies for helping this person out (and for being an AT volunteer).

NLaeger
04-28-2013, 13:20
I was one of the hikers that Cleaner asked to stop and talk to her. No I didn't like the idea due to the fact that I'm trying to keep myself healthy... But I did in fact stop and talk to her from a little ways away... I asked if she needed anything, she said no that help was on the way... I asked her her name and told her that we would keep her in our thoughts and hoped that she had a speedy recovery so she could get back in the trail!!!
I don't want to get sick but I do think that if there wasn't already help on the way that I would have tried and helped in anyway that I could. Other then call for help or get her water I'm not sure what other help we could have offered, but I would have done what I could.

johnnybgood
04-28-2013, 14:34
You were obviously her trail angel that day. Thanks for getting her medical help ,also your dedication to maintain the trail and shelters.

Coosa
04-28-2013, 15:41
I was one of the hikers that Cleaner asked to stop and talk to her. No I didn't like the idea due to the fact that I'm trying to keep myself healthy... But I did in fact stop and talk to her from a little ways away... I asked if she needed anything, she said no that help was on the way... I asked her her name and told her that we would keep her in our thoughts and hoped that she had a speedy recovery so she could get back in the trail!!!
I don't want to get sick but I do think that if there wasn't already help on the way that I would have tried and helped in anyway that I could. Other then call for help or get her water I'm not sure what other help we could have offered, but I would have done what I could.

I won't fault you for asking if you could help ... HER PROBLEM is that instead of being more honest about her illness, she told you "no, help is no the way" ... were it I, I would have said "Could write down this number and call my "so-in-so" and let them know that I'm sick and having to be taken off the Trail and that I'll call them when I can."

One the one hand, we have the "taggers" on the Trail and on the other hand, we have a sick person who didn't take advantage of an offer to help.

Make a note ... if you're in need of help and someone offers ... take them up on it ... it may be 'their turn' in the grand scheme of things to help another individual.

Just my thoughts, Coosa

HikerMom58
04-28-2013, 16:40

Nice.. NLaeger Thanks for sharing with us. :)

The Cleaner
04-28-2013, 18:06
I don't want to get sick but I do think that if there wasn't already help on the way that I would have tried and helped in anyway that I could. Other then call for help or get her water I'm not sure what other help we could have offered, but I would have done what I could. Thanks for your help.The young girl was very upset and I thought a little reassurance from passing hikers might help some...

The Cleaner
04-28-2013, 18:16
I won't fault you for asking if you could help ... HER PROBLEM is that instead of being more honest about her illness, she told you "no, help is no the way" ... were it I, I would have said "Could write down this number and call my "so-in-so" and let them know that I'm sick and having to be taken off the Trail and that I'll call them when I can."

One the one hand, we have the "taggers" on the Trail and on the other hand, we have a sick person who didn't take advantage of an offer to help.

Make a note ... if you're in need of help and someone offers ... take them up on it ... it may be 'their turn' in the grand scheme of things to help another individual.

Just my thoughts, Coosa I thought that Greene Co. Rescue was coming and they called Madison Co. NC Rescue to take the call.I did leave her my phone # ,but she went to the NC side,probably in Marshall,closest town.I would assume she would contact her parents first.She told me that she had gotten the virus 4 days ago and thought she was rid of it,so she started hiking again.

RJ Lewis
04-28-2013, 19:44
Wow thanks Cleaner for helping out a fellow hiker!! I once got quite ill on the trail and had to have help to get out. I'd had a gallbladder attack- my one and only, and it was quite severe. 2 gentlemen helped me get out to the "road" that was nearby, even to carrying most of the stuff in my pack. The rangers were super- even to telling me that if I thought I was just dehydrated or altitude sick (I was under 5000 ft), I could just wait it out right there, vs trying to make it to the next campsite. By that time, I had realized I didn't have norovirus or anything like that, and I was in trouble. They got me off the trail and to my husband, and a few days later had surgery to remove offending gallbladder- doctor said I was lucky I didn't die from the attack. *whew*

Not sure I'd approach closely anyone who was sick with a virus, myself. Of course, if no one had been around, I'd have done all I could to help. But the situation being that someone was there assisting, I would not have felt guilty about going on with my hike, after first assuring myself that the situation was under control.

Coosa
04-28-2013, 20:08
SPEAKING OF THAT VIRUS .............. does anyone know the cause? Are hikers still getting sick?

Norovirus or something else?

HikerMom58
04-28-2013, 20:34
SPEAKING OF THAT VIRUS .............. does anyone know the cause? Are hikers still getting sick?

Hikers are still getting sick going through the "hot zone". It seems more are going through without getting sick, lately. The CDC will not investigate the illness, on the AT, to determine if it is the Norovirus. That's what I've been "hearing" from sources close to the hikers on the trail.

The Cleaner
04-28-2013, 21:33
I read on Trail Journals that someone was sick at the hostel at 19E just a few days ago.

TOW
04-29-2013, 08:13
could you imagine back when the black plague hit if those who helped had decided not to? there would be no human race today

Chaco Taco
04-29-2013, 08:58

too much poop

Astro
04-29-2013, 09:03
Hikers are still getting sick going through the "hot zone". It seems more are going through without getting sick, lately. The CDC will not investigate the illness, on the AT, to determine if it is the Norovirus. That's what I've been "hearing" from sources close to the hikers on the trail.

HM, why would the CDC not investigate? I sure hope it is cleared up by July.

Chaco Taco
04-29-2013, 09:15
HM, why would the CDC not investigate? I sure hope it is cleared up by July.
these things should probably start with the Dept of Health. CDC wont do anything. When my wife got sick in Va, they caled in the health dept to test the water

Tennessee Viking
04-29-2013, 09:39
Good Job Cleaner.

I guess 911 called both Greene Co and Madison Co Rescue to see who could report to the scene faster. I guess they came up from the roads around Flint Mountain Shelter or an access trail.

Would Horse Creek Road been possible?

Huber
04-29-2013, 10:03

Where is the hot zone? I'm doing a section hike this weekend from Hot Springs to Erwin. I don't plan on staying at shelters as long as the rain holds off.

HikerMom58
04-29-2013, 10:29
Where is the hot zone? I'm doing a section hike this weekend from Hot Springs to Erwin. I don't plan on staying at shelters as long as the rain holds off.

Well, unfortunately Huber, that's what I've read over and over -Hot Springs to Erwin is the "hot zone". But if you read the trail journals, people are getting sick in Hiawassee, GA. I just read Half-Life's trail journal saying that a hammock was great for puking out of... :eek: he's near Hiawassee, GA right now.

Huber, I don't know what to advise you about hiking this weekend.

As far as the CDC getting involved a hiker friend, living in Atlanta, said they wouldn't get involved in this... she called them. She didn't elaborate as to why they won't do anything. I think CT's post is correct.. it starts with the local Health Departments, Astro.

I'd be lying to ya'll if I didn't say I'm a lil worried about hiking in PA soon.

NLaeger
04-29-2013, 10:31
Where is the hot zone? I'm doing a section hike this weekend from Hot Springs to Erwin. I don't plan on staying at shelters as long as the rain holds off.[/QUOTE]

You will be smack dab in the middle of the hot zone!

Rasty
04-29-2013, 10:35

Well, unfortunately Huber, that's what I've read over and over -Hot Springs to Erwin is the "hot zone". But if you read the trail journals, people are getting sick in Hiawassee, GA. I just read Half-Life's trail journal saying that a hammock was great for puking out of... :eek: he's near Hiawassee, GA right now.

Huber, I don't know what to advise you about hiking this weekend.

As far as the CDC getting involved a hiker friend, living in Atlanta, said they wouldn't get involved in this... she called them. She didn't elaborate as to why they won't do anything. I think CT's post is correct.. it starts with the local Health Departments, Astro.

I'd be lying to ya'll if I didn't say I'm a lil worried about hiking in PA soon.

The CDC won't get involved until county health departments request help. If the health departments think it's Noro -Virus then there is no reason to get involved as they can't make hikers practice good sanitation.

Huber
04-29-2013, 11:10
Thanks guys, this is making me slightly nervous but I'm still going. I know the basic rules of don't eat food from other people, don't let people dig their hands into my bag of gorp and wash your hands after going poop or just wash them a lot in general.

MyName1sMud
04-29-2013, 11:27
Good job Cleaner! on both fronts!

The Cleaner
04-29-2013, 12:04
Good Job Cleaner.

I guess 911 called both Greene Co and Madison Co Rescue to see who could be report to scene faster. I guess they came up from the roads around Flint Mountain Shelter or an access trail.

Would Horse Creek Road been possible? Horsecreek ORV/Jeep road is passable in 4x4s with high ground clearance.It is very rough in many places.The closest way via ORV is from the Round Knob Picnic area.It is 1.75 miles up to the AT at a point 1 mile south of the shelter.This is the route local bear hunters use.FWIW the controlled burn from Round Knob Rd. did brown-out a lot of rhododendron along the trail and they tried to burn some around the shelter.Seems like a waste of money to me....

The Cleaner
04-29-2013, 12:14
When I called Greene Co. 911,the dispatcher asked my location.I replied "Jerry's Cabin Shelter on the AT above the Round Knob area".The dispatcher said she knew where I was.Well a short WGRV radio online report that evening stated "That a hiker was in need of rescue due to drinking untreated spring water from the Jerry Miller shelter".Makes you wonder just how much the local authorities know of landmarks along the AT......

The Cleaner
04-29-2013, 12:20

You will be smack dab in the middle of the hot zone![/QUOTE] At this time the long range forecast is for rain&cooler weather this weekend.Plenty of firewood at Jerry's Cabin shelter for the inside fireplace.When I was there I did spray diluted bleach all around the shelter&privy area....

Tennessee Viking
04-29-2013, 13:30
Was it last year or two, that there was a several cases of Noro Virus in between Erwin and Hampton?

Now its in between Hot Springs and Erwin.

The Cleaner
04-29-2013, 14:43
Was it last year or two, that there was a several cases of Noro Virus in between Erwin and Hampton?

Now its in between Hot Springs and Erwin. I thought that last year the virus was near GA/NC area ,with a second outbreak in PA/NY area in August...I'd say if you knew how to use WB search function you could find out...

Crusinsusan
04-29-2013, 16:37
Ah cleaner, do keep posting your good deeds. I do so need to read them after reading of all the graffiti, mentally ill, and threatening characters that seem to be all over the boards lately. They keep giving me the idea that perhaps I shouldn't do this silly AT in 2014 thing.

Then I read your posts. And I do a flop-back. So thanks.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
04-29-2013, 18:28
Cleaner you are a wise person. We have all been advised to stay away from the shelters to avoid the virus. However, if you walk upon a a hiker in distress we should all try our best to render aid. In the military we always say that "we leave no one behind"...Thank you !

Migrating Bird
04-29-2013, 18:57
A good samaritan in legal terms refers to someone who renders aid in an emergency to an injured person on a voluntary basis. Usually, if a volunteer comes to the aid of an injured or ill person who is a stranger, the person giving the aid owes the stranger a duty of being reasonably careful. A person is not obligated by law to do first aid in most states, not unless it's part of a job description. However, some states will consider it an act of negligence though, if a person doesn't at least call for help. Generally, where an unconscious victim cannot respond, a good samaritan can help them on the grounds of implied consent. However, if the victim is conscious and can respond, a person should ask their permission to help them first.
Some states offer immunity to good samaritans, but sometimes negligence could result in a claim of negligent care if the injuries or illness were made worse by the volunteer's negligence. Statutes typically don't exempt a good samaritan who acts in a willful and wanton or reckless manner in providing the care, advice, or assistance. Good samaritan laws often don't apply to a person rendering emergency care, advice, or assistance during the course or regular employment, such as services rendered by a health care provider to a patient in a health care facility.

The Cleaner
04-29-2013, 19:49
A good samaritan in legal terms refers to someone who renders aid in an emergency to an injured person on a voluntary basis. Usually, if a volunteer comes to the aid of an injured or ill person who is a stranger, the person giving the aid owes the stranger a duty of being reasonably careful. A person is not obligated by law to do first aid in most states, not unless it's part of a job description. However, some states will consider it an act of negligence though, if a person doesn't at least call for help. Generally, where an unconscious victim cannot respond, a good samaritan can help them on the grounds of implied consent. However, if the victim is conscious and can respond, a person should ask their permission to help them first.
Some states offer immunity to good samaritans, but sometimes negligence could result in a claim of negligent care if the injuries or illness were made worse by the volunteer's negligence. Statutes typically don't exempt a good samaritan who acts in a willful and wanton or reckless manner in providing the care, advice, or assistance. Good samaritan laws often don't apply to a person rendering emergency care, advice, or assistance during the course or regular employment, such as services rendered by a health care provider to a patient in a health care facility. Once I found out that she had the virus I could see that she was not able to hike anywhere and was severely dehydrated.I ask her if she could make it 2 miles down Fork Ridge trail to my truck and she didn't think so.She was more concerned about a hospital/rescue bill.The local Rescue Squads do not charge for their services,but there would be an ambulance ride to the hospital and fees for her care at the ER.I just told her she needed to get fluids via IV because she could not even drink water without throwing it back up.About all I did was walk up to the ridgecrest (no cell service at the shelter) and call 911,give our exact location and her condition and symptoms.I think most hikers would have done that also.....

MDSection12
04-29-2013, 19:58
Once I found out that she had the virus I could see that she was not able to hike anywhere and was severely dehydrated.I ask her if she could make it 2 miles down Fork Ridge trail to my truck and she didn't think so.She was more concerned about a hospital/rescue bill.The local Rescue Squads do not charge for their services,but there would be an ambulance ride to the hospital and fees for her care at the ER.I just told her she needed to get fluids via IV because she could not even drink water without throwing it back up.About all I did was walk up to the ridgecrest (no cell service at the shelter) and call 911,give our exact location and her condition and symptoms.I think most hikers would have done that also.....
You did the right thing. No need to second guess now. Thank you for being there for her then, and for the trail in general.

Migrating Bird
04-30-2013, 07:31
Cleaner, you are to be commended for looking after the ill hiker. I'm sure that she is extremely grateful for your assistance and concern. The reason for my earlier post is that some people may not understand that in certain situations, walking away without offering help could be considered negligence. All of us that use the trail are grateful for you trail maintenance efforts as well.

TomM
05-02-2013, 23:18
Her symptoms sound familiar. Back in Nov I was section hiking Hot Springs to Fontana and got sick a couple miles South of Max Patch. I had to arrange a shuttle off the trail and got to a clinic.

Trillium
05-02-2013, 23:56
Thanks Cleaner for your efforts in getting help for the young lady. I'm sure that her parents are very grateful that you came upon her and made the call. I sure would be if that had been my daughter.

To HikerMom: not sure where you got your info about Hiawassee but I was there for 46 hrs 2 wks ago and NO ONE, repeat NO ONE was sick there or subsequently after through to Franklin. And quite a few people passed me since I am a slow hiker and I believe I would have heard something, if in fact, people were getting sick.

Lauriep
05-03-2013, 07:28
According to ATC's southern regional office in Asheville, which has been working with the local and state health departments, norovirus was confirmed among A.T. hikers tested in the Erwin area.

Chaco Taco
05-03-2013, 07:39
According to ATC's southern regional office in Asheville, which has been working with the local and state health departments, norovirus was confirmed among A.T. hikers tested in the Erwin area.
Membership drive at TD's, travel size hand sani's bottles with ATC logo!!!!

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 07:54
Membership drive at TD's, travel size hand sani's bottles with ATC logo!!!!and plenty of 21436

WingedMonkey
05-03-2013, 08:48
Membership drive at TD's, travel size hand sani's bottles with ATC logo!!!!

In the case of Norovirus hand sanitizer probably does not work.

Studies show that alcohol-based sanitizers, particularly those with 60 percent ethanol or more, can reduce microbial counts on contaminated hands (http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/12/3/05-0955_article.htm) and reduce the spread of some strains of the flu (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22325728). But against norovirus, the severe gastrointestinal illness gripping many parts of the country (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/12/health/us-flu-deaths-reach-epidemic-levels-but-may-be-peaking.html), they may be useless.

Some viruses, like influenza, are coated in lipids, “envelopes” that alcohol can rupture. But non-enveloped viruses, like norovirus, are generally not affected (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19933337).

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/14/really-the-claim-hand-sanitizer-stops-norovirus-spread/

magic_game03
05-03-2013, 09:27
Once I informed passing hikers that she had "the virus" most acted like she had the plague.I asked 2 younger female hikers if one of them would go talk to her and tell her help was on the way and they didn't like the idea.I thought that having someone of the same sex and age speak to her would help a bit.Many hikers would not even go near the shelter.BTW it ain't in the water,I drank untreated spring water:eek: while there and also from Little Laurel last week...

Just because you drank the water strait doesn't mean it's safe. If you infected yourself years earlier by drinking contaminated water you could be a carrier and not even know it. If you're currently drinking from these water sources strait and have been doing so for years you are MOST likely a carrier of the Giardia parasite and now it has matriculated a natural balance with the other microorganisms of your intestines. I'm not saying, "you have Giardia" but if you drink strait from these sources it is a good chance. :-?

I can understand your disposition NLaeger. I think it is a noble gesture that you to step forward and claim to have been present when all this went down. I also, think there is some bashing of this years thru's and this should not be a case for it. While I commend "The Cleaner" for his work on the trail and shelters, it is a little boast-full to come here and tell us how you saved some damsel from the clutches of death and thru-hikers just walked by un caring and without regard. Once again, "Thank you for your dedication to the trail" but if you're going to come here and call-out 20 thru hikers then I'm going to suggest that there is more to the story then you are letting on.

HikerMom58
05-03-2013, 09:54
Just because you drank the water strait doesn't mean it's safe. If you infected yourself years earlier by drinking contaminated water you could be a carrier and not even know it. If you're currently drinking from these water sources strait and have been doing so for years you are MOST likely a carrier of the Giardia parasite and now it has matriculated a natural balance with the other microorganisms of your intestines. I'm not saying, "you have Giardia" but if you drink strait from these sources it is a good chance. :-?

I can understand your disposition NLaeger. I think it is a noble gesture that you to step forward and claim to have been present when all this went down. I also, think there is some bashing of this years thru's and this should not be a case for it. While I commend "The Cleaner" for his work on the trail and shelters, it is a little boast-full to come here and tell us how you saved some damsel from the clutches of death and thru-hikers just walked by un caring and without regard. Once again, "Thank you for your dedication to the trail" but if you're going to come here and call-out 20 thru hikers then I'm going to suggest that there is more to the story then you are letting on.

I agree!!!!

turtle fast
05-03-2013, 11:36
So what is the solution to combat the outbreak? Common sense says to keep reminding hikers to keep proper hygenic practices in toileting and food preparation. Water purification to be stressed as well???? It seems odd that this area near Erwin was hit last year as well....