PDA

View Full Version : left zip sleeping bag

chris too
04-26-2013, 21:50
If I'm right handed, would it make any sense to buy a left-zipper sleeping bag. There is a $219 bag for $169...

chris too
04-26-2013, 22:54
okay, never mind. It's weird: before I first posted this, I used the search box on this site and it gave me nothing. But when I did a Google search, a prior post on this subject turned up -- I got to check it out and got my answer. So sorry about the dumb question.

Venchka
04-26-2013, 23:00
Not a dumb question. I'm left handed. My 3 bags are right zip. My solo tent is defintely built for right zip bags. Nowadays, mass mercahandising men's bags are all left zip. Women's are right zip. I guess my next bag will be lilac or purple.

Wayne

HooKooDooKu
04-26-2013, 23:02
I think that a right handed person wants a left-zip bag. I believe that it is easier to have your right arm cross your chest to pull the zipper down from your left shoulder than it is to fold your arm in half to pull the zipper down from your right shoulder. There are several bags that are sold as only one sided... and I think the most common one-sided is left.

chris too
04-26-2013, 23:14
Thank you lots, Wayne. Seems weird that they have different directions for men and women. I'm using a side zip Hennessy sleep on my right side, and want to face the zipper on my shelter; so I'm thinking maybe I should use the right zipper. I have a bit of time, so I guess I'll pass on the deal for now and hope the right one for me goes on sale.

Montana Mac
04-27-2013, 07:44
I have one of each and the left side zipper is easier. Also it's not that weird that zippers are different for men or women - just look at the buttons on shirts.

tiptoe
04-27-2013, 09:57
Chris, I have a bottom-entry Hennessey Backpacker Asym, I also mostly sleep on my right side, and I'm right-handed. I prefer a right-zip bag because of the way I place my ccf pad in the hammock, on the diagonal with the head over to the right (as you face the hammock from the foot end.

chris too
04-27-2013, 13:58
Thanks everybody for your helpful comments. I think I'm going with the right side zip.

Venchka
04-27-2013, 15:36
Thank you lots, Wayne. Seems weird that they have different directions for men and women. I'm using a side zip Hennessy sleep on my right side, and want to face the zipper on my shelter; so I'm thinking maybe I should use the right zipper. I have a bit of time, so I guess I'll pass on the deal for now and hope the right one for me goes on sale.

Or...
...you buy from Western Mountaineering and you get your choice. No extra charge. I'm sure Feathered Friends and other cottage makers do the same.

Wayne

chris too
04-28-2013, 14:21
Wayne, nice bags but shnikies they're expensive -- probably worth it -- but I might need to wait until another time. Since this is my first backpacking trip, I've been buying much. Thanks for the suggestion though -- So for now I'll just go to the site and drool:D

litefoot2000
04-28-2013, 17:43
Left is easier for a RH person.

Deadeye
04-28-2013, 20:37
I see all these posts saying left is better for right handed person... to me it matters more how you sleep. I sleep on my right side, and much prefer a right zip.

Dogwood
04-28-2013, 21:47
I think that a right handed person wants a left-zip bag. I believe that it is easier to have your right arm cross your chest to pull the zipper down from your left shoulder than it is to fold your arm in half to pull the zipper down from your right shoulder. There are several bags that are sold as only one sided... and I think the most common one-sided is left.

I think this is generally the case.

I'm ambidextrous when it comes to sleeping bag zippers though. I do always opt for sleeping bag zippers that can be accessed for zipping up or unzipping from either the outside of the sleeping bag or from inside whether fully open, fully closed, or partially zipped. A few bags also have double zippers enabling greater ventilation possibilities. This is a feature most important for me in my choice of bivys.

Dogwood
04-28-2013, 21:54
I also find the tighter the sleeping bag(narrower the shoulder and hip cut) the more which side the zip is on comes into greater play. It can seem to be uncomfortable to the point of having to be a contortionist when you are right handed, in a NARROW bag, and have to unzip/zip up on the right.

Dogwood
04-28-2013, 21:59
This situation can be exacerbated when you are long-limbed.

chris too
04-28-2013, 22:32
Dogwood: I'm looking for the lightest fat ___ sleeping bag I can afford cause I HATE to be hemmed in:D Thank you, I think you are making excellent points that I did not even think of -- like the ability to zip from either side. At 5'8 I'm somewhat tall and have long arms for a female, so this is definitely a concern. Hmmm...

Dogwood
04-29-2013, 01:45
Then you should pay careful attention to how a sleeping bag is cut and the shoulder, hip and foot box girths, as well as the length. You might, depending on where your curves are and specific measurements, shoulders, chest, hips, feet and height, try out not only female specific models but also male and unisex type sleeping bags. It always helps to know your measurements and understand you body shape when getting fitted for a sleeping bag. And, IMHO any outfitter that doesn't first take those things into consideration and just starts pointing out female bags to you is suspect.

I would start with MontBell Stretch or Spiral bags and Nemo Spoon bags. Then depending on your pocket book look at a quality bag specked out for roomier fits. Big Agnes, Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, Marmot, Mountain Hardware, Kelty, EMS, REI. etc. Get a bag that fits you without feeling too confined. Thing is you got to find the balance right for you. Get too roomy of a bag and it might be hard to heat up from your body. You might also explore quilts. They can be less confining in some ways as long as you don't get into being too big of a gram weenie.

I find it helps to check out sleeping bags in person whenever possible. Yeah, that's me at the outfitter laying down on the floor zipped up tossing and turning in those high priced bags. Hey, sleeping bags and shoes are vitally important in backpacking! You are always in one of them!

IMHO, I think spending the time to get the sleeping bag right and then buying the best in terms of quality materials, construction, wt, volume, etc will pay BIG dividends in a variety of areas including MOST IMPORTANTLY getting a good night's rest.

I don't know which Hennessey Hammock you have(sounds like you have the one sided zip entry though) but you can try laying in the hammock with head at different ends on your right or left side with both a right and left zippered sleeping bag to see which you feel most comfortable with. I know when I'm in one of my side entry zip hammocks(it's all I currently have) I too generally like sleeping facing the zipper.

LoneRidgeRunner
04-29-2013, 01:57
I'm right handed and have tried both right zip and left zip bags. I much prefer the left zip.

chris too
04-29-2013, 18:15
Funny you said that, Dogwood, because I was looking at quilts last night: a Burrow 20 at Hammock Gear. It might be a good bet for me. I've had the feeling that my sleeping bag might end up costing more than anything else I'm carrying (I'm a bargain hunter), but agree with you that it's important -- one cold night would convince me quickly. My only concern about the quilt is if I have to sleep in the shelter, I would prefer to be more wrapped up in that situation but I do have one of those Wally World blue-foam pads I would be laying on... I'm glad that I have some time to decide this -- I think;) I'll be using the bag in a Hennessy Expedition hammock. And yes, I would be more of a weenie if I could afford it -- but I just cut weight where I can and try not to worry about it too much. I'm trying to taking more of a middle ground since this is my first trip and will know better about what works for the next time.

And I think you're definitely on to something because I'm also leaning toward a men's version but plan on checking both types out. The thing initially that turned me off is the extra filling that is at the feet and torso of women's bags -- ick, doesn't sound like a good plan for me. Also it seems women's gear is often smaller and lesser quality such as trekking poles; since I haven't yet checked sleeping bags out in person, I'm not sure if this is the case with this gear item. I love your idea about getting down in them to try them on for size -- I might drag my daughter to a Rei end of this week. I'm sure she won't be embarrassed at all while her mother flaps around on the floor like a seal on land. Should be fun and wish I could go now! You've been such a big help, thanks.

RJ Lewis
05-01-2013, 18:39
Ive got one from Marmot and one from Mountain Hardware (Phantasia). The Marmot bag is a men's bag, and although right handed, I sleep on my right side, so much prefer a right zip. That way when I wanna snuggle in for the night, but not get my bag damp from my breath, I can unzip it just enough to breathe out of, and still stay toasty warm inside. One thing I have noticed about the difference between the men's and women's bags, is that not only do they insulate them differently, even if the same measurements, the woman's bag (Phantasia) is definitely cut smaller. I'm 5-6 and really enjoy the comfort a 6 foot bag brings. Gives me room to move around at night a little and not feel quite so hemmed in (the marmot bag). A good down bag is an investment, and should last you 15+ years if taken care of. Well worth the money- and invest in a good waterproof compression bag to keep it dry.

chris too
05-01-2013, 23:12
Ive got one from Marmot and one from Mountain Hardware (Phantasia). The Marmot bag is a men's bag, and although right handed, I sleep on my right side, so much prefer a right zip. That way when I wanna snuggle in for the night, but not get my bag damp from my breath, I can unzip it just enough to breathe out of, and still stay toasty warm inside. One thing I have noticed about the difference between the men's and women's bags, is that not only do they insulate them differently, even if the same measurements, the woman's bag (Phantasia) is definitely cut smaller. I'm 5-6 and really enjoy the comfort a 6 foot bag brings. Gives me room to move around at night a little and not feel quite so hemmed in (the marmot bag). A good down bag is an investment, and should last you 15+ years if taken care of. Well worth the money- and invest in a good waterproof compression bag to keep it dry.

Also sounds like good advice, thank you -- I'll check it out:D