PDA

View Full Version : People

Tree Nerd
04-27-2013, 16:13
I love meeting new people! People are so interesting and different and can influence/change your life in an instance. Its amazing! Its always so nice to meet an absolutely amazing person that changes your world! Meeting and interacting with new people during my thru later this year is the one thing that I look forward to more than anything.

tiptoe
04-27-2013, 16:46
Agreed. You meet people on the trail you would never encounter in the normal course of your daily life.

HikerMom58
04-27-2013, 17:01
I love meeting new people! People are so interesting and different and can influence/change your life in an instance. Its amazing! Its always so nice to meet an absolutely amazing person that changes your world! Meeting and interacting with new people during my thru later this year is the one thing that I look forward to more than anything.

I agree with you on everything you stated. I love meeting new people!! You'll have so much fun on your hike meeting those people! :)

litefoot2000
04-27-2013, 17:13
You are right. On my thru, I only met one jerk and he wasn't a hiker. Where can you go, in this world, for four months and only meet one jerk?

Carry-On
04-27-2013, 20:26

Yes! This was the best part of my thru-hike. The people I met made me love people again. :)

fiddlehead
04-27-2013, 20:40
If meeting people is your goal, yes, the AT may be the trail for you.
The Camino trail starting in Spain would be another good one.

If you are still into meeting people, come to Asia, there's lots of them here.

My favorite trail is the CDT. The first time I did it, 7 of us finished it that year.

WingedMonkey
04-28-2013, 10:22

Enjoy yourself, just have the common sense to know when some hikers might want to be left alone. Know when to shut up or when to move on.

aficion
04-28-2013, 10:47
Enjoy yourself, just have the common sense to know when some hikers might want to be left alone. Know when to shut up or when to move on.

irony abounds................

WingedMonkey
04-28-2013, 10:58
irony abounds................

Is that what you learned on your thru-hike?

aficion
04-28-2013, 11:09
Is that what you learned on your thru-hike?

Not thru yet.

atraildreamer
04-28-2013, 11:13
If meeting people is your goal, yes, the AT may be the trail for you.
The Camino trail starting in Spain would be another good one.

If you are still into meeting people, come to Asia, there's lots of them here.

My favorite trail is the CDT. The first time I did it, 7 of us finished it that year.

Looks like Route 95 thru Providence during the afternoon rush hour.

HikerMom58
04-28-2013, 11:30
Tree Nerd... there's an ignore button on here if you don't want to read comments from certain people on here too. It's the "cyber version" of what WM just spoke about. ... If someone doesn't have the common sense, on here, to shut up or move on, on your thread or on any other thread, you can use the ignore feature.
No matter where you go you will always find certain people annoying. It will either be that they find you annoying or you will find them annoying... it happens.

Some people go hiking for solitude. Extroverts (like myself) need to be respectful of those hikers. Some people hike for interaction with people they meet. The friendships that are formed = priceless. :)

Those same type of friendships have happened on this site as well.

On this site, some people are here for information only. Some people love the interaction with other people and the information. Some are here, mostly, for interaction with people & to share a lil information.

It's all good, Tree Nerd! :)

tiptoe
04-28-2013, 12:02
Oddly, I'm a serious introvert. I wouldn't say I hike to meet people, but it's certainly one of the things I enjoy while on the trail. Sometimes the conversations are nice, but sometimes a simple "hello" is fine too.

Tree Nerd
04-28-2013, 12:30
I'm pretty good at reading people and situations and can deal with different people very well. I work with kids and adults almost every day at work and encounter everything. I def can feel that people are out their for the solitude, that is part of my reason for hiking too.....IDK, the closer it gets, the more reasons I come up with for doing it. I cant wait for my thru!

WingedMonkey
04-28-2013, 15:43
I'm pretty good at reading people and situations and can deal with different people very well. I work with kids and adults almost every day at work and encounter everything. I def can feel that people are out their for the solitude, that is part of my reason for hiking too.....IDK, the closer it gets, the more reasons I come up with for doing it. I cant wait for my thru!

That's a great attitude. Of course the reason I responded to YOUR thread was to discuss just that.

Don't let others on here make you an imaginary victim that needs protected from any discussion they think is all about them.

;)

bert304
04-28-2013, 16:05
I like to meet people on the AT while I am on my day hikes. I like speaking with them about their journey.

aficion
04-28-2013, 16:24
That's a great attitude. Of course the reason I responded to YOUR thread was to discuss just that.

Don't let others on here make you an imaginary victim that needs protected from any discussion they think is all about them.

;)

Irony continues.

HikerMom58
04-28-2013, 16:27

I agree with WM that is a great attitude to have. :) Hoping the time for your thru hike will come fast.

HikerMom58
04-28-2013, 16:28
Irony continues.

It sure does..... ;)

Dogwood
04-28-2013, 16:46

I gotcha. It is great to NOT be fearful of new things including people. Though, sometimes it is nice to get away from people too. In other words, all valid experiences do not have to include being in the physical presence of humans. You'll have plenty of those types of experiences too on a thru-hike.

Tree Nerd
04-28-2013, 16:52
:) Hoping the time for your thru hike will come fast.

I actually wish it would slow down....everything is going crazy right now. My last final of my college caree is tomorrow, commensement is on Sunday then I work till I leave in late June and the boss is giving me minimal time off. The time is flying and there is a bunch I want to do before I leave. I haven't seen my family in 5 months and I have another two months till I see them and it will only be for 2 days. I haven't spent time with my best friends from back home in over a year. I just met an amazing girl that I love hanging out with. All of this and much more and time is just flying by! I pumped though, I'm living life day to day and making the most out of everything right now!

Now that school is done I plan to start doing much more hiking on my days off....I need to get conditions asap.

HikerMom58
04-28-2013, 19:11
I actually wish it would slow down....everything is going crazy right now. My last final of my college caree is tomorrow, commensement is on Sunday then I work till I leave in late June and the boss is giving me minimal time off. The time is flying and there is a bunch I want to do before I leave. I haven't seen my family in 5 months and I have another two months till I see them and it will only be for 2 days. I haven't spent time with my best friends from back home in over a year. I just met an amazing girl that I love hanging out with. All of this and much more and time is just flying by! I pumped though, I'm living life day to day and making the most out of everything right now!

Now that school is done I plan to start doing much more hiking on my days off....I need to get conditions asap.

Wow, sounds like things are looking up for you, Tree Nerd. :) Good luck on your test tomorrow. Congrats on finishing college on Sunday!! Yay!! Amazing girl ...huh? :D Thanks for sharing so much of your life with all of us. We are all wishing you the very best with your life, your hike ....everything. :sun

Feral Bill
04-28-2013, 19:27
Like HM said: Congrats and all the best after college.

Tree Nerd
04-28-2013, 20:59
Thanks all. And yes, amazing girl, I met her while doing a river cleanup on earth day. I had a feeling that morning that I was going meet someone special; crazy how those things happen.

Dogwood
04-28-2013, 21:33
Yes, I'll throw in with HM and FB. Congrats! It's REALLY NICE to have someone share their life here on WB. I find your intimate real life posts refreshing.

aficion
04-28-2013, 22:02
Hope to meet you when you get through these parts. You are on the right track.