PDA

View Full Version : 2013 black fly season in NY, CT & MA - when does this generally start/end ?

GR82Hike
04-27-2013, 21:51
We will be doing our next section hike in May (10-30) 2013; beginning around Greenwood Lake NY and ending near Great Barrington MA.

Does anyone know - when is the season for black flies in this area? Or, a predicted time frame?

Sarcasm the elf
04-28-2013, 01:49
This has been one of the driest spring seasons that I can remember in my lifetime. Normally for a May hike I would warn you more about the Mosquitos in the area rather than the black flies, but unless we get some rain and soon there might be far less than usual. I'd recommend a head net either way, it makes a huge difference with those buggers.

The ticks are out in force as normal, so take standard precautions when you head up to this area.

Migrating Bird
04-28-2013, 08:52
Hiked from Tryingham to Benidict Pond yesterday and it was the first day the Black Flies were out in force. We stopped briefly at Wicox North shelter turn off and they were out in force. With the warmer weather today and predicted this week, there should be a strong hatch but as mentioned above, it is very dry out there.

Another Kevin
04-28-2013, 09:01
They usually hatch out at the same time in the Taconics that they do in the Catskills - and whoo-boy, were they out in full force yesterday in the Catskills!

Ironbelly
04-29-2013, 09:20
We don't allow black flies in CT.

Snowleopard
04-29-2013, 18:15
"We don't allow black flies in CT." !!!???
First confirmed black fly of the season for me:
yesterday in NW Connecticut, on the street in my sister's neighborhood (not prime black fly habitat). I'd expect more out in the woods.
Bring DEET and headnet.

Malto
04-29-2013, 20:59
I just hiked most of mass this weekend, Cheshire to Salisbury, and didn't have any mossies or flies. Absolutely gorgeous weather for hiking, couldn't get any better.