PDA

View Full Version : Working while on a thru-hike

Andrew Ferk
04-28-2013, 02:25
I've been planning to walk SOBO from July 4th to Thanksgiving, but today I had a crazy idea. I'm actually hoping it's not too crazy, but maybe some of you with experience can let me know.

I would like to talk with my current employer about hiring me for 30 full eight-hour days on my AT hike. This would take me through December on the AT, but the extra income should cover my entire trip. I would spread those thirty days over two to five day chunks of zero-days where I work from a laptop that I will bounce across towns with a decent Internet connection and a place to work.

Beyond convincing my current client to buy into this, how practical would it be to work while doing a thru-hike of the AT? If it helps, I work with web technologies, and I am capable of doing all of my work with a laptop and internet connection.

Thanks!

Datto
04-28-2013, 02:34
It's unlikely you'll be in the mindset to do work when you're in town. Plus, if you do attempt to do what you're describing, you'd likely eliminate much of the long-term benefit of a thru-hike (such as realizing peace).

Datto

Datto
04-28-2013, 02:36
Plus, southbounding is a bit more difficult than northbounding (you hit the most difficult terrain on the AT right out of the gate if you're a southbounder).

I can't imagine having done what you're describing when I thru-hiked the AT -- and I was a northbounder.

Datto

fiddlehead
04-28-2013, 04:24
Anything is possible.
But it won't be easy.
I know if and when I do another thru hike, I'll be working while doing it, but my work consists of answering 5 to 10 emails a day and taking a phone call or 3 every day. (something I can do while walking) A bit different from taking a day off every 4 or 5 just to work steadily.

garlic08
04-28-2013, 09:04
I bet some hikers out there take those kind of zero days and do absolutely nothing with them.

Many fit and motivated hikers finish the AT in fewer than 120 hiking days. If you can do this, you'll have 30 or more zero days in your time frame.

A buddy of mine did this last year to a lesser extent. He just had to finalize payroll and invoicing stuff a couple of times a month. It worked out for him.

Good luck in your plan--sounds workable.

Rock Lobster
04-28-2013, 14:19
I took a master's course in school law while on the trail last summer. As long as your time is flexible and you're committed to it, it's possible. You may have to sacrifice some fun times with other hikers, or lose track of people who continue down the trail while you work.

prain4u
05-01-2013, 07:31
It is theoretically possible to do this--from a technical and logistics point of view. However, that is A LOT of zero days--and you would have to maintain a pretty good pace (but not an exhausting pace) during your hike in order to complete the thru hike AND take 30 zeros. In short, there would not be a lot of time to "stop and smell the roses".

For me, the biggest problem would be the "blending" of the two worlds (work world and trail world). While such a "blending" seems fairly simple when sitting behind a computer screen and reviewing WhiteBlaze posts---in reality it is much more difficult once you are out on the trail. When you get to a trail town or hostel (and have laundry to do, food to buy, some rest that you want to obtain, and friends that you want to spend time with) it will be very difficult to discipline yourself enough to do a full day of work on the laptop. Doing this for just one day would be challenging enough for many people. Doing this for 30 zero days would be close to impossible for most people).

I think the work component would suffer and the trail experience would also be greatly diminished. (A "lose-lose" scenario--as opposed to a "win-win").

Even if working for 30 days (via computer) was the ONLY way that I could do a thru hike--I personally think that I would pass on the blended thru hike experience.

prain4u
05-01-2013, 07:51
One more point....

Many people have done SOME work from the trail while on their thru hike. Many people have taken a school class and thru hiked. Doing "some" work or "some" school while on the trail seems very realistic. For me, it is the "30 full eight-hour days" which seems to be excessive and problematic.

It is one thing to "finalize payroll and invoicing stuff a couple of times a month" or "answering 5 to 10 emails a day and taking a phone call or 3 every day". It is a very different thing to complete "30 full eight-hour days".

Malto
05-01-2013, 08:07
Working and hiking may work for some but it would eliminate one of the biggest attractions of a thru hike, moving from the civilized to the natural world. Having to keep going back to the civilized world would mean, for me, the inability to really feel part of nature. It would become a long section hike.

FarmerChef
05-01-2013, 08:26
First off, let me just say that I have not thrued. (sp?). I've just done big sections at a time. During that time I have checked email every day that I had reception and even made/taken the occasional call. It was doable but not pleasant for me as my mind kept getting jarred out of the peace of my surroundings to the stress of my work life back home. That's not what I, personally, went out to the woods to find.

Your scenario may be different. Is it possible? Yes. But I think in trying to do it, you would greatly miss out on much of what the trail had to offer. If this is optional and not necessary, why not whittle that time down by a lot or eliminate it completely. Just focus on the trail, the people, the towns and enjoy it without worrying about logging hours. Something tells me that within a week or two of being on the trail, you'll find it almost impossible to enjoyably (key word) do what you're talking about. My two cents.

Bobby
05-03-2013, 11:31
First off, let me just say that I have not thrued. (sp?). I've just done big sections at a time. During that time I have checked email every day that I had reception and even made/taken the occasional call. It was doable but not pleasant for me as my mind kept getting jarred out of the peace of my surroundings to the stress of my work life back home. That's not what I, personally, went out to the woods to find.

Your scenario may be different. Is it possible? Yes. But I think in trying to do it, you would greatly miss out on much of what the trail had to offer. If this is optional and not necessary, why not whittle that time down by a lot or eliminate it completely. Just focus on the trail, the people, the towns and enjoy it without worrying about logging hours. Something tells me that within a week or two of being on the trail, you'll find it almost impossible to enjoyably (key word) do what you're talking about. My two cents.

I took 30 zero days on my thru hike which lasted about 6 months. The time component probably is what you make it in terms of hiking days and zero days. Anything is possible, but can you really sit down and work for 8 hours? That to me would be the hardest part.

Dogwood
05-03-2013, 14:38
Certainly doable but it will make some things feel choppy! Doing it for no more than 3 days at a time max would be the way I would plan for it. But, do you have to work which is WHY you are asking the question? INDEED, as others have noted, and IMO too, one of the chief reasons folks cite as their reason(s) for embarking on a thru-hike is to decompress and get away from big time civilization constantly in their faces.

Meriadoc
05-03-2013, 14:58
I met a thru hiker in Gorham who, to the surprise of the rest of us, pulled a laptop out of his backpack to perform upkeep on his website. It worked well for him: paid his bills and didn't take a lot of time.

putts
05-03-2013, 19:14
I think if you really enjoy what you are doing for work then it sounds doable, and may even be a great idea. If this is one of those jobs that you plan to have only until you can find one you like, then I think it would be extremely difficult to pull off, even if it pays well.

kayak karl
05-03-2013, 19:24
i sometimes take 3 day hikes while work is still going on. its better then working, but i don't enjoy it as much as just being off. last trip i had to order windows from Pinnacle Peak. kind of a pain and i'm only talking 3 days, not a thru.

Dogwood
05-03-2013, 22:29
I met a thru hiker in Gorham who, to the surprise of the rest of us, pulled a laptop out of his backpack to perform upkeep on his website. It worked well for him: paid his bills and didn't take a lot of time.

It's not unusual for me to witness that kind of stuff(people on a laptop for a couple of hrs every couple of days or once a wk to update a journal or to blog or manage stock trades or some biz) but getting off regularly for 2 - 5 days on a 2200 mile continuous thru-hike is going to make some things choppy as in start then stop start again then stop again start again then stop again......etc This scenario can have an effect on the hike as well as the work in ways that not everyone will appreciate in hindsight. .

stranger
05-04-2013, 01:20
Not hiking related but very similar in alot of ways...

A guy I tour with does very similar work, he can do his work from anywhere in the world, at any time of day (mostly) and all he needs is a laptop and internet connection. Yes it's challenging, but it can be done. People might say that touring is not as physically or mentally demanding as hiking, and perhaps not, but it's very, very close.

For example, on our last tour...day 1 we drove from NJ to Pittsburgh, about 7 hours drive, then we load in around 8pm, he's sitting in the corner on his laptop doing his work, 3 hours later we play, we roll out around 3am and decide to drive straight through to Lexington, we arrive into town at 9am, sleep for a few hours, I come down around 3 pm and he's sitting there on his laptop working in the hotel lobby. Repeat, repeat...

With hiking, it's pretty easy in my opinion to hike around 20 miles a day if you are fit and an experienced long distance hiker. I think it's quite achievable to hike 5 days a week and still average 100 miles/week...again, this is my opinion based on my experiences...it may not work for you.

I think bouncing the laptop might be tricky, but if you are holed up at a motel that should be easier.

As for me, I wouldn't want to do it, just like I'm glad I don't have to do work on tour...but you gotta do what you gotta do. And on taking zeros, Garlic is right, I once took 17 zeros on a 50 day hike, doing nothing, so productive zeros make more sense IMO!

jesse
05-04-2013, 03:05
You'll be alone. Won't be able to fall in with regular hiking partners.

Datto
05-04-2013, 18:43
I traded stocks during my AT thru-hike. Sitting in a booth at Quincy's in Damascus, Excellent Good Half Moon told me how foolish that approach was (EGHM was one of the most well-liked thru-hikers on the Trail -- wisdom beyond his years from my perspective). He'd worked for one of the big trading houses before starting his AT thru-hike and thought I was, well, crazy for doing trading on the Trail.

He was right of course.

One time I found myself racing to the next town cranking out miles in order to handle the next series of stock trades -- I stopped in the middle of the Trail one day and told myself I really need to stop this. So I did. I'm told quite frequently these days that's called, "growing a brain".

It wasn't until Millinocket, Maine did I trade again.

The profit from the trades covered all the costs of my AT thru-hike and then some but I wouldn't recommend anyone doing what I had done to trade stocks while I was thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail.

I look back on that now and think, "What in the world was I thinking??!"

I'm certainly so glad I'd eventually stopped that kind of back-life related nonsense someplace in Virginia.

The only other idea I'd had on the the Trail that was worse than stock trading while I was thru-hiking was that Barry White impersonation I'd performed at the Secret Shack. Blister Sister set me straight on my talent and innate abilities.

Datto

prain4u
05-04-2013, 20:36
The key here is the phrase: "(working) 30 full eight-hour days".

From a simple logistical perspective, doing this successfully would be challenging (but by no means "impossible").

From a "practical" perspective--doing this would be VERY inconvenient. (Basically, it would be a PITA--"Pain In the Assets" :)--to do this). You would have to retrieve your bounce box in each "work town". You need to keep the computer dry and secure. You have to locate a good internet connection. When you are done working, you have to get the computer repacked and sent on to the next "work town". And, you have to do all of this around the U.S. Postal Service's reduced schedule. (Plus, you have to hike, set up camp, prepare meals, shower, do laundry, obtain resupply, and also cover over 2,100 miles while hiking).

From a "social" perspective, you would not be able to build much of a relationship with any other hikers--as you would constantly be falling into different groups of hikers every few days. Then, on your days in town you would be working and not spending much time with other hikers or enjoying the town.

From a purely "emotional" perspective, it would be hard to set the "trail life" aside every 1-2 weeks to work for one (or more) FULL EIGHT HOUR DAYS. (Datto hits the nail on the head).

I say "DON'T DO IT!"

Datto
05-04-2013, 23:09
"You know, there was a time when, if someone told you to do something, you did it. Bam. Right on. No questions asked. It was "yes, sir" and "yes, ma'am." You never said no, you know?"

I would inherit a .45 from my dad along with five record albums he'd learned to enjoy.

I talk about the situation my dad had faced in my private journal -- how he'd been sent to teach some potentate a lesson. An unparalleled math whiz sent to teach some bearded dictator the facts of life in the modern world.

As a kid I couldn't figure out where math figured into the whole equation of battle. My dad insisting later I become fluent in the same -- he and I would do high math competing on a Saturday evening while I waited for my girlfriend to get off work teaching at DeVry. My dad would grab the front of my shirt in, this time, an unconfrontational manner to get my attention and say to me, "You should marry her.". Much different than when he would grab the front of my shirt and tell me I should get my act together -- except -- in those instances the term "act" wouldn't be the term he would choose to use at the time.

Of course, I would think that old man didn't have a clue. What could he know?

A Saturday night with him using a slide rule, me with a late-model TI calculator during the bake off of mathematical challenges. The formulas of women escaping the both of us on, well, many occasions then and into the future.

The ladies in the neighborhood while the men went to battle, donning their Mrs. Cleaver dresses, gathering at my house -- their husbands all on the same mission. Some heading from Jacksonville, some from Pensacola, others directly out of Miami.

Tears mainly. The mothers wondering whether we would all be consumed in a puff of electrons, them wearing pearls for the electron occasion of course. The President had spoken from the Oval Office telling us all of the danger from the bearded one and the guy who everyone at the time believed had beat with his shoe on a desk to tell us he would bury us.

Later my dad would explain the importance of using a naval blockade -- me not grasping the idea at the time. But my dad insisting it was one of the most brilliant strokes of strategy in the course of history in these United States. My dad being a staunch Republican, the significance of that difference escaping me at the time.

One of the albums I'd inherit along with the .45 would be a most startling of voices -- a voice of such extreme ranges you would think it was two different people singing the song together. But that not the case. Unbelieving one human could have the talent to sing such low bass tones and into the next stanza become a tenor and reach for the highs, disconnected from the bass notes sung only a moment before.

Well now, I tried to do what others say that I should do
They say that I should fit in, fool 'em, fake it, well
Those kinda dues just make me crazy and blue
Man, I just can't take it

So when you see me walking, won't you notice that proud look in my eyes
My feet are on the ground and my soul is searching for the sky

I would fight my own potentate battles decades later. No, not with near the valor and bravery of toting a rifle. My weapons would be those of a Mag Card and an attractive and quite talented secretary.

Some new outfit called Federal Express would come into play in the great success we on my team would all enjoy. I'm still astounded to this day -- so many decades later -- how we got it done, particularly with the name-brand talent who had failed before us. Just a bunch of youngin' Hoosiers, many from Ball State University, unknowing what was supposedly not possible.

I talk to her a couple times a month on and off nowadays. The secretary from way back then that is.

So you want to do work and continue the same-old same-old on your AT hike?

Why not bring a laptop to your wedding and take calls from your smartphone during the exchange of rings?

"Just a second Pastor.

Can you hear me now?"

Datto

Datto
05-05-2013, 03:04
The point being, take advantage of every opportunity on a hike of the Appalachian Trail (or other such events in your life) to become immersed in something. To not try to multi-task the AT from start to finish and water down any facet just to be able to fit more tasks into the timeframe. Instead, revel in the fact that you don't have to multi-task.

I contend hiking the AT can bring such great peace and be such a fantastic life opportunity and allow you to meet terrific people who may become your lifelong friends. Of course, a hike of the AT is more than that, much more.

I just don't see why you would want risk messing that up.

Otherwise why not just stay home, get on a treadmill elevated to 6% and do treadmill work for 10 hours per day so you can return phone calls and crank out work concurrently on a treadmill? Just keep working out on the treadmill every day for 10 hours per day until the mileage on the treadmill says 2,200 miles hiked.

Done.

Next thing on the list.

You could coin the term "Treadmill Your Own Treadmill" and write famous books showing others how you can deftly bring work to your AT hike and kill two birds with one treadmill stone.

Or not.

Datto

Dogwood
05-05-2013, 03:25
"The point being, take advantage of every opportunity on a hike of the Appalachian Trail (or other such events in your life) to become immersed in something. To not try to multi-task the AT from start to finish and water down any facet just to be able to fit more tasks into the timeframe. Instead, revel in the fact that you don't have to multi-task." - Datto

That was honestly one of the BEST rants I've heard in a long time. Couldn't have said it any better myself. Lots of well earned lessons in those comments too.

Rock Lobster
05-06-2013, 03:00
You could coin the term "Treadmill Your Own Treadmill" and write famous books showing others how you can deftly bring work to your AT hike and kill two birds with one treadmill stone.

Or not.
Datto

I find it really ironic that you reference the HYOH motto in the process of telling someone how they should hike their hike.

Datto
05-06-2013, 05:14
I find it really ironic that you reference the HYOH motto in the process of telling someone how they should hike their hike.

Yeah, me too.

That's what happens when someone asks a question or asks for advice on WhiteBlaze. People state their opinion in an effort to assist.

Datto

Marta
05-06-2013, 08:42
Will working every few days "ruin" your hike? It'll certainly be a different experience than the usual tune in, drop out, turn on hike. But the other way to look at it is that you'll have a job that gives you four or five-day weekends after every work day. If you try it and it feels good, you could hike and travel for the rest of your working life.

StewartParker
05-21-2013, 06:50
I would inherit a .45 from my dad along with five record albums he'd learned to enjoy.

I talk about the situation my dad had faced in my private journal -- how he'd been sent to teach some potentate a lesson. An unparalleled math whiz sent to teach some bearded dictator the facts of life in the modern world.

As a kid I couldn't figure out where math figured into the whole equation of battle. My dad insisting later I become fluent in the same -- he and I would do high math competing on a Saturday evening while I waited for my girlfriend to get off work teaching at DeVry. My dad would grab the front of my shirt in, this time, an unconfrontational manner to get my attention and say to me, "You should marry her.". Much different than when he would grab the front of my shirt and tell me I should get my act together -- except -- in those instances the term "act" wouldn't be the term he would choose to use at the time.

A Saturday night with him using a slide rule, me with a late-model TI calculator during the bake off of mathematical challenges. The formulas of women escaping the both of us on, well, many occasions then and into the future.

The ladies in the neighborhood while the men went to battle, donning their Mrs. Cleaver dresses, gathering at my house -- their husbands all on the same mission. Some heading from Jacksonville, some from Pensacola, others directly out of Miami.

Tears mainly. The mothers wondering whether we would all be consumed in a puff of electrons, them wearing pearls for the electron occasion of course. The President had spoken from the Oval Office telling us all of the danger from the bearded one and the guy who everyone at the time believed had beat with his shoe on a desk to tell us he would bury us.

Later my dad would explain the importance of using a naval blockade -- me not grasping the idea at the time. But my dad insisting it was one of the most brilliant strokes of strategy in the course of history in these United States. My dad being a staunch Republican, the significance of that difference escaping me at the time.

One of the albums I'd inherit along with the .45 would be a most startling of voices -- a voice of such extreme ranges you would think it was two different people singing the song together. But that not the case. Unbelieving one human could have the talent to sing such low bass tones and into the next stanza become a tenor and reach for the highs, disconnected from the bass notes sung only a moment before.

I would fight my own potentate battles decades later. No, not with near the valor and bravery of toting a rifle. My weapons would be those of a Mag Card and an attractive and quite talented secretary.

Some new outfit called Federal Express would come into play in the great success we on my team would all enjoy. I'm still astounded to this day -- so many decades later -- how we got it done, particularly with the name-brand talent who had failed before us. Just a bunch of youngin' Hoosiers, many from Ball State University, unknowing what was supposedly not possible.

I talk to her a couple times a month on and off nowadays. The secretary from way back then that is.

Why not bring a laptop to your wedding and take calls from your smartphone during the exchange of rings?

"Just a second Pastor.

Can you hear me now?"

Datto

You have mentioned some realistic ways to do it. It is indeed the best opportunity of your life and hope you succeed. I am just waiting to get one such golden and I am fully prepared for it:)

BostonBlue
05-21-2013, 07:34

"Just a second Pastor.

Can you hear me now?"

Datto

You need to write a book. I will be the first in line to buy it.

Dogwood
05-21-2013, 08:28

HYOH can be a simple and beautiful idea yet it can be one of the most complicated and entangled in practice.

StewartParker
05-22-2013, 00:35

Why not bring a laptop to your wedding dress (http://www.robustbuy.com/wedding-events-wedding-dresses-c-1165_1166.html) and take calls from your smartphone during the exchange of rings?

"Just a second Pastor.

Can you hear me now?"

Datto

You have mentioned some realistic ways to do it. It is indeed the best opportunity of your life and hope you succeed. I am just waiting to get one such golden and I am fully prepared for it:)
I tried some of your tips and it has provided real good results. Thanks again.

Andrew Ferk
05-24-2013, 14:04
Will working every few days "ruin" your hike? It'll certainly be a different experience than the usual tune in, drop out, turn on hike. But the other way to look at it is that you'll have a job that gives you four or five-day weekends after every work day. If you try it and it feels good, you could hike and travel for the rest of your working life.
In a way, I had thought of this as a work + lifestyle experiment.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I didn't think people were still discussing this, but I was glad to see there has been much more said since I last looked at it. Overall, I think most people would suggest not doing this, but at the same time, do what is right for you.

It's still not 100% certain, but the company I'm contracting with would like to see this happen, and my employer is looking into funding my days off the trail, the shipping costs of the laptop, and a purchase of a new laptop. I've taken map man's Southbound AT Hiking Rates (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?697-Southbound-AT-Hiking-Rates), the AT Thru-Hiker's Companion, and my own personal physical condition and drive and created a day-by-day breakdown of my hike, with me finishing in 134 days (about two days faster than the average) on 11/15/2013. This included no zero-days, but enough town days with minimum miles. My next step is to find an estimated date and the town and establishment of my work days. I decided to break the 30 days into four 5-day stays and five 2-day stays. I would do my best to spread these evenly out the hike, avoiding as many weekends as possible, and avoiding towns where the cheapest stay is $150/day. I'd like to average $100/day in rest and food. Also, I would contact the establishment where I would be working before I start my hike to confirm with them my plans and their abilities to provide an environment where i can work.

The thing that worries me the most is missing out on building strong friendships; however, this was not a goal of mine when I decided to do the AT. Not only did I choose Southbound for the more convenient date, but I wanted more solitude and to be able to push myself at my own pace. I imagine I'd still make friends, but maybe not "best" friends. Otherwise, I love this new job I have. The team is great, the boss is awesome, and I get to work with Google Maps, weather data, and trail data. When they took me on for a three month contract they asked about a contract-to-hire, but I turned them down because I knew I was walking the AT. It seems they really would like me to stick around, as would I, so this would continue our relationship. Also, I like to hike; I like being connected with mother nature, I like being minimalist, and I like the physical conditioning. But, I do get bored. Maybe working with technologies I enjoy every two to three weeks will be a good break.

Another concern of mine was extending the trip in December, where I imagine it will be colder and involve more snow.

prain4u
05-25-2013, 23:32
In the end, it really does all boil down to HYOH...and it seems that you have made YOUR decision regarding YOUR plan for YOUR hike. I am happy for you. I sincerely wish you all the best on your hike. I hope you have a GREAT time!!!!! :)

However, I find it interesting and somewhat intriguing....that you asked for advice. You freely acknowledge that "Overall, I think most people would suggest not doing this...". Then, you proceed to make your plans exactly contrary to what you acknowledge most people would advise you to do.

While I have ABSOLUTELY no problem with you doing whatever you want to do....I do wonder...What was the point of you seeking the advice of others--if you are choosing to ignore the advice and do (essentially) what you already planned to do from the very beginning? My question is not coming from a place of anger or frustration--just sheer curiosity.

Sly
05-26-2013, 10:28
In a way, I had thought of this as a work + lifestyle experiment.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I didn't think people were still discussing this, but I was glad to see there has been much more said since I last looked at it. Overall, I think most people would suggest not doing this, but at the same time, do what is right for you.

It's still not 100% certain, but the company I'm contracting with would like to see this happen, and my employer is looking into funding my days off the trail, the shipping costs of the laptop, and a purchase of a new laptop. I've taken map man's Southbound AT Hiking Rates (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?697-Southbound-AT-Hiking-Rates), the AT Thru-Hiker's Companion, and my own personal physical condition and drive and created a day-by-day breakdown of my hike, with me finishing in 134 days (about two days faster than the average) on 11/15/2013. This included no zero-days, but enough town days with minimum miles. My next step is to find an estimated date and the town and establishment of my work days. I decided to break the 30 days into four 5-day stays and five 2-day stays. I would do my best to spread these evenly out the hike, avoiding as many weekends as possible, and avoiding towns where the cheapest stay is $150/day. I'd like to average $100/day in rest and food. Also, I would contact the establishment where I would be working before I start my hike to confirm with them my plans and their abilities to provide an environment where i can work.

The thing that worries me the most is missing out on building strong friendships; however, this was not a goal of mine when I decided to do the AT. Not only did I choose Southbound for the more convenient date, but I wanted more solitude and to be able to push myself at my own pace. I imagine I'd still make friends, but maybe not "best" friends. Otherwise, I love this new job I have. The team is great, the boss is awesome, and I get to work with Google Maps, weather data, and trail data. When they took me on for a three month contract they asked about a contract-to-hire, but I turned them down because I knew I was walking the AT. It seems they really would like me to stick around, as would I, so this would continue our relationship. Also, I like to hike; I like being connected with mother nature, I like being minimalist, and I like the physical conditioning. But, I do get bored. Maybe working with technologies I enjoy every two to three weeks will be a good break.

Another concern of mine was extending the trip in December, where I imagine it will be colder and involve more snow.

Regardless of how some feel, it sounds like you have the workings of a solid plan to me.

As some others have suggested, I wouldn't worry about not being able to get fully immersed in the trail experience. For the most part the AT is only the illusion of wilderness. Nearly every day you'll hear the trappings of civilization, or crossing one to several paved roads with a town only minutes away. I found it easy to separate my trail experiences from my town experiences (a few of them lengthy).

Andrew Ferk
05-28-2013, 02:29
In the end, it really does all boil down to HYOH...and it seems that you have made YOUR decision regarding YOUR plan for YOUR hike. I am happy for you. I sincerely wish you all the best on your hike. I hope you have a GREAT time!!!!! :)

However, I find it interesting and somewhat intriguing....that you asked for advice. You freely acknowledge that "Overall, I think most people would suggest not doing this...". Then, you proceed to make your plans exactly contrary to what you acknowledge most people would advise you to do.

While I have ABSOLUTELY no problem with you doing whatever you want to do....I do wonder...What was the point of you seeking the advice of others--if you are choosing to ignore the advice and do (essentially) what you already planned to do from the very beginning? My question is not coming from a place of anger or frustration--just sheer curiosity.
I do appreciate all of the advice and it has made me a little hesitant. But I was looking to determine how practical this idea was. I didn't hear from anyone that this would be impossible, just that it may require more planning, compromise potential long-term friendships, and interrupt the flow of my hike and connection with the trail. I imagine everyone here has a different personality and connects differently with themselves, the trail, other hikers, friends, families, career, etc. I think what everyone said is valid for them, and I take that to heart. While we all have the AT in common, I imagine many of us are still night and day apart. So yes, I am doing what I planned on doing because no one told me it couldn't be done.

prain4u
05-28-2013, 07:27
I do appreciate all of the advice and it has made me a little hesitant. But I was looking to determine how practical this idea was. I didn't hear from anyone that this would be impossible, just that it may require more planning, compromise potential long-term friendships, and interrupt the flow of my hike and connection with the trail. I imagine everyone here has a different personality and connects differently with themselves, the trail, other hikers, friends, families, career, etc. I think what everyone said is valid for them, and I take that to heart. While we all have the AT in common, I imagine many of us are still night and day apart. So yes, I am doing what I planned on doing because no one told me it couldn't be done.

Thanks for the response. Best wishes! I hope it works out like you envision it.

the goat
05-28-2013, 18:47
i know a dude who thru hiked in '01 while working along the way w/ a laptop. it's def doable, if you don't mind the affect it would have on your hike (which would be too much for most).