PDA

View Full Version : A nice couple of days from Elk Park, NC to Roanoke, VA

Alleghanian Orogeny
04-28-2013, 11:01
After tending to some work in Boone, NC and Johnson City, TN on Friday, I slowly weaved my way northeast, bound for Stony Fork CG, at the foot of Big Walker Mountain north of Wytheville, VA. I'd started the morning encountering two guys about my age who were sectioning from 19E near Elk Park to Damascus. I then checked out the Dennis Cove/Kincora and Watauga Lake areas before shooting up to the Mount Rogers Nat Rec Area HQ on VA 16 south of Marion. Missed closing time by 15 min, but no worries. I circumnavigated Glade Mountain in the truck, then headed on up to the CG and get the tent set up just as it got dark. Met no other hikers after the 9:00am encounter with the guys at Elk Park.

By 7:00am yesterday I was on the north side of Big Walker Mountain where the AT first reaches VA 42. A nice lady from Ohio was at the trailhead waiting for her friend, an endurance runner, to reach that point from the Atkins side of Big Walker. The runner's goal was 50 miles over the two days. I drove up to the crest above Burkes Garden from Sharon Springs and took in the view, then back down to 42 to head in to Laurel Creek.

At Laurel Creek were a pair of thrus who had just hauled an injured hiker's gear down from the Jenkins shelter. Bubba the local shuttler had been summoned and True Brit arrived moments afterward. Within 15-20 minutes 4 other thrus plus the injured gentleman from Germany arrived. Even though it was just after 10:00am, the PBRs in my cooler were quickly depleted. The ice water, not so much. All disbursed by around 11:00am, with trail names jotted down on my note pad so I can follow their blogs.

One of the missions for the day was a burger at Trent's, so that was the next stop after replenishing the beer supply at Bland. A group of 5-6 thrus were walking back to the trail as I approached the store and they cheerfully accepted the offer of a ride in the back of the pickup. All quite young and quite happy after their repast at Trent's.

Returned to the store and had an excellent cheeseburger and tater wedges chased with ice water on the tailgate while talking fishing with a couple of the locals. A HUGE bald eagle flew down Kimberling Creek as we hung out for a while. I stepped back inside to advise a table-full of thrus I'd be heading back towards the trail shortly and another 3 hopped in. One was fresh out of the Marine Corps, something I guessed in advance when he kept on referring to me as "sir". Well, that, and the close-cropped hair and obvious level of fitness. He'd done Bland-Trent's in 6 hours and intended to complete 30 miles by nightfall Saturday.

The locals at Trent's assured me the NF road from the old Wapiti Shelter up and over Flat Top and Sugar Run mountains was open, so I took the long, slow grind up the mountain. Left a bit of trail magic at Big Horse Gap and cruised on down the Pearisburg side, delighted to "find" Woods Hole just off of the trail and right where the county road ends at the NF road.

Next was the drive through Pearisburg where "Max" was hoofing it through town and accepted a ride to the far side of the New River Bridge. Max and I talked geology for a while until the security team from the Celanese plant politely suggested we carry on our conversation somewhere off of their property, so we parted company.

Took a long ride down Craig Creek Rd to Miller Cove and noted a large collection of hikers at the AT crossing of Rt 620 there. Must be a hostel, or perhaps a collection of students, etc from nearby Roanoke. The VA 311/AT crossing was mobbed at 4pm when I passed it, day hikers to McAfee, I suppose.

The thrus I talked to at Laurel Creek and Trent's had started in early March--March 23 for the Marine--and seemed generally in good condition, with normal aches and pains and some worn-out shoes and boots and broken gear. All in all, a pretty happy bunch and seemingly well on the way to reaching their goals.

AO aka "Map Boy"

HikerMom58
04-28-2013, 12:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ktiTwp04I

Here's a happy 2013 thru, picking up some unattended trail magic. :)

Great trip report AO!! Glad you enjoyed your time meeting & greeting the hikers. Thanks for the "trail magic" too.... all the rides you gave and the goodies! I'm sure it was appreciated- just like this guy. :)

That parking lot on 311 is always mobbed. There are all types of groups that hike that part of the trail. The last time I was there a few weeks ago there was a backpacking group from Northern VA. That group was pretty big! :)

The Cleaner
04-28-2013, 12:33
Leaving food on the ground unattended is not a good idea.Did you come back and pick up the leftover litter?Also Smokey says "Do Not Feed the Bears"....

Alleghanian Orogeny
04-28-2013, 12:52
The area from Big Horse Gap NOBO towards Pearisburg was "prescribed burned" last week, so hikers topping out from the Dismal Creek drainage will see a fairly stark view. With that in mind, at a point about 150' NOBO from the FS road crossing, I left 4 aluminum cans of Budweiser and a notebook paper note requesting that the finders pack out the cans. The cans of course crush easily and aren't much trouble to carry so my hope was that the finders would do so. I collected a full 30 gallon trash bag of other litter, all likely left by non-hiker users (based upon the type--at least 20 beer and soft drink bottles and other refuse likely too heavy to pack so far from Trent's or Pearisburg), before I left.

AO

HikerMom58
04-28-2013, 12:58
Leaving food on the ground unattended is not a good idea.Did you come back and pick up the leftover litter?Also Smokey says "Do Not Feed the Bears"....

This isn't my trail magic .... it was a random U-tube video. Can't criticize anyone here. :0) I don't think it will be there long enough for the bears to even compute it was there. The thru-hiker bubble is right there, in this area, right now. I would hope that the person that left the trail magic would come back to pick up the trash. If not, that's NOT cool... just sayin. I'm the type of person that thinks the BEST unless proven otherwise. I think the trail angel will come back by to pick up the trash, in a timely fashion. That's just me. Didn't want to start another trail magic debate on AO's thread, so that's all I think should be said about it. Happy Happy Hikers!! :)

The Cleaner
04-28-2013, 13:24
The area from Big Horse Gap NOBO towards Pearisburg was "prescribed burned" last week, so hikers topping out from the Dismal Creek drainage will see a fairly stark view. With that in mind, at a point about 150' NOBO from the FS road crossing, I left 4 aluminum cans of Budweiser and a notebook paper note requesting that the finders pack out the cans. The cans of course crush easily and aren't much trouble to carry so my hope was that the finders would do so. I collected a full 30 gallon trash bag of other litter, all likely left by non-hiker users (based upon the type--at least 20 beer and soft drink bottles and other refuse likely too heavy to pack so far from Trent's or Pearisburg), before I left.

AO Thanks for the litter pick-up.I wish more folks would do it.

Alleghanian Orogeny
04-28-2013, 15:16
Cleaner,

I've kept trashbags and gloves in the truck as far back as I can remember, which is back to when I started driving in 1971. Whenever I'm at a trailhead or a fishing hole, I police the area and haul out anything I can, which unfortunately turns out to be plenty most of the time. At least I've never found what a geology school classmate found while on a mapping exercise on Walker Mountain, near Mechanicsburg: the body of a murder victim, thrown down the embankment in a load of household trash.

I left the beers with more than a passing thought of subsequent littering. But, the hours-old recollection of the two groups I ferried back to the trail from Trent's gave me confidence they'd likely find it today and would do the right thing with the empties.

AO