PDA

View Full Version : Courtesy

generoll
07-07-2005, 20:33
We are all here because of a common interest or perhaps one might even say a common passion. I'd like to suggest that when we post in the forum we post in the same manner that we would speak to each other if we were face to face. I think all of us at one time or another have allowed our passion for the topic to overule those social niceties that most of us use to smooth our passage through everyday life. There are enough bumps and rocks along the way without attacking one another because someones views don't mesh perfectly with our own. Let's play nice.

TakeABreak
07-07-2005, 21:36
Well Said,

Tin Man
07-07-2005, 22:24
I'm in....

max patch
07-07-2005, 22:48
Don't disagree, but I'd have to say my biggest gripe is with people who give advice who don't have the experience or knowledge to back up what what they say. i.e., the person who may have hiked 50 miles once upon a time but still gives advice on how to best do a thru hike. That is incredibly unfair to the person who originally asked the question.

Tin Man
07-07-2005, 22:58
Don't disagree, but I'd have to say my biggest gripe is with people who give advice who don't have the experience or knowledge to back up what what they say. i.e., the person who may have hiked 50 miles once upon a time but still gives advice on how to best do a thru hike. That is incredibly unfair to the person who originally asked the question.

To that person I would say: hmm, tried that but my experience shows me this works better....

SGT Rock
07-08-2005, 10:23
That is a huge problem on the Internet and one of the pit-falls that any reader needs to be beware of. And another problem that can go with that is the person that mis-represents themselves as a person with lots of trail miles when they really don't have that many. A person that would mis-represent themselves probably wouldn't care about being courteous anyway.:-?

Lone Wolf
03-19-2009, 03:45
We are all here because of a common interest or perhaps one might even say a common passion. I'd like to suggest that when we post in the forum we post in the same manner that we would speak to each other if we were face to face. I think all of us at one time or another have allowed our passion for the topic to overule those social niceties that most of us use to smooth our passage through everyday life. There are enough bumps and rocks along the way without attacking one another because someones views don't mesh perfectly with our own. Let's play nice.

wolf likes this

Tin Man
03-19-2009, 07:00
yep, let's reboot and start anew, who's in?

stumpknocker
03-19-2009, 07:08

Not me...I wear sneakers. :)

Tin Man
03-19-2009, 07:14
Not me...I wear sneakers. :)

hey good fella, what trail you knocking off this year?

stumpknocker
03-19-2009, 07:19
hey good fella, what trail you knocking off this year?

Goin' west, young man. Seen so many great presentations on the CDT over the last few years, that I have to go and see it wif my own eyes. :)

Tin Man
03-19-2009, 07:24
Goin' west, young man. Seen so many great presentations on the CDT over the last few years, that I have to go and see it wif my own eyes. :)

dang dude! enjoy... you gonna journal 42 pages a day again?

stumpknocker
03-19-2009, 07:29
dang dude! enjoy... you gonna journal 42 pages a day again?

Nope...got a journal, but not planning on posting much. Maybe some photos when I can, but mostly just gonna play in the Rockies. :)

mtnkngxt
03-19-2009, 07:33
I'm in arguing with Trolls is giving me heart burn. So how bout this weather in the South this weekend. Looking mighty dry sunny and relatively warm. Elk Garden to Wise shelter and back is looking like a mighty fine idea.

chelko
03-19-2009, 07:39
Amen on the weather here in the south. I'm headed to Cataloochee in the Smokies for a short loop, maybe take in the Elk herd.

Tin Man
03-19-2009, 07:40
Nope...got a journal, but not planning on posting much. Maybe some photos when I can, but mostly just gonna play in the Rockies. :)

good man :sun

Homer&Marje
03-19-2009, 07:44
Got boots. Going hiking. I'm in.

dixicritter
03-19-2009, 08:53
wolf likes this

dixi agrees with wolf

TJ aka Teej
03-19-2009, 08:56
Teej agrees with dixi and wolf and Mrs Teej.
(I always agree with the Mrs.)

mtnkngxt
03-19-2009, 09:01
I really want to do the smokies again this summer. Even with all the restrictions its still some of the best miles on the AT IMHO. Anyone know where the supposed water source is near Wise shelter in Grayson Highlands?

Oh and I love all of ya'll, excluding Trolls!

Cookerhiker
03-19-2009, 09:11

wolf likes this

Wolf, thanks for bringing this thread back. It's such a simple yet sound concept. Seeing that Gene started the thread nearly 4 years ago shows that times haven't changed a lot.

Jaybird
03-19-2009, 09:16

AMEN, hikin' Bro.!:D
Unfortunately, the InterNet & ALL of its BLOGS, FORUMS, etc...has DE-PERSONALIZED us as a SOCIETY...we can DAWG someone else without ever having to see them "FACE-TO-FACE", (& suffer no consequences) etc...
If we could ALL play NICE...this would be a better WORLD!:D

Heater
03-19-2009, 09:17
Teej agrees with dixi and wolf and Mrs Teej.
(I always agree with the Mrs.)

Austexs concurs.

Christus Cowboy
03-19-2009, 09:19

Good idea Tin Man (Ctl-Alt-Del) take care buddy and don't hesitate to PM me if need anything......

The Weasel
03-19-2009, 09:20
Austexs concurs.

Weasey's down with Austexs.

TW

saimyoji
03-19-2009, 09:21
Weasey's down on Austexs.

TW

:confused:

The Weasel
03-19-2009, 09:38
:confused:

Saimyoji has "edited" my post to show an incorrect quote, and I wish he hadn't. I agree with Austexs, and others, that courtesy is a good thing. No fights here.

Weasey

4eyedbuzzard
03-19-2009, 09:53
I agree with "weasy" who agrees with Austexs who concurs with Teej who agrees with dixi and wolf and Mrs Teej.

Can't get much more agreeable than that on WB.

dixicritter
03-19-2009, 10:02
I agree with "weasy" who agrees with Austexs who concurs with Teej who agrees with dixi and wolf and Mrs Teej.

Can't get much more agreeable than that on WB.

We're such an agreeable lot today for sure. :sun

mtnkngxt
03-19-2009, 11:17
I concur.:banana

Monkeyboy
03-19-2009, 11:18
I just think that it's a good thing that Weasy reposted saimyoji's post to correct it.

My mouse scroll wheel doesn't work and wouldn't have been able to read the correct post right above it and would actually confuse Weasy for saying such a ludicris thing, which never happens in real life........

:rolleyes:

The Weasel
03-19-2009, 11:34
I just think that it's a good thing that Weasy reposted saimyoji's post to correct it.

My mouse scroll wheel doesn't work and wouldn't have been able to read the correct post right above it and would actually confuse Weasy for saying such a ludicris thing, which never happens in real life........

:rolleyes:

I am now taking up a collection for us to buy MB a new mouse with a scroll wheel. Please send non-consecutive unmarked tens and twenties to me in envelopes with no return address. Once I get enough money I will buy him a new mouse so there is no chance of MB ever, ever being confused on my account. Surplus funds will be used for a good purpose, don't ask, you don't want to know about such things. :D

By the way. I'm getting pretty irritated, MB, at you calling me "Weasy." It is "WeasEy." Stop leaving final E out of it or I'll start calling you "MonkyBoy", you hear me? :rolleyes:

Weasey

Lugnut
03-19-2009, 11:35
We're such an agreeable lot today for sure. :sun

Humbug! :bse

The Weasel
03-19-2009, 11:36
Humbug! :bse

What a sweet thing to say! I love it when you talk like that!:sun

Summit
03-19-2009, 12:17
I always agree with the Mrs.Smart man! :) I'm in . . . but don't want to reboot cause I'm working from home today and still have my slippers on! :)

Monkeyboy
03-19-2009, 12:25
Stop leaving final E out of it or I'll start calling you "MonkyBoy", you hear me? :rolleyes:

Weasey

Whatever floats your boat, Weasy

Footslogger
03-19-2009, 12:29
Good by me ...

'Slogger

The Weasel
03-19-2009, 13:42
Whatever floats your boat, Weasy

Don't need no boat on the AT, MonkyBoy! :D

Weaseeeey

saimyoji
03-19-2009, 14:41
Saimyoji has "edited" my post to show an incorrect quote, and I wish he hadn't. I agree with Austexs, and others, that courtesy is a good thing. No fights here.

Weasey

i didn't edit anything. thats what you wrote before you edited your post. its a double switchback editing trickery, i tell you.

The Weasel
03-19-2009, 15:12
i didn't edit anything. thats what you wrote before you edited your post. its a double switchback editing trickery, i tell you.

No, you are wrong. Please don't take this good thread in the wrong direction.

The Weasel

Monkeyboy
03-19-2009, 21:35
Don't need no boat on the AT, MonkyBoy! :D

Weaseeeey

So how do YOU cross the Kennebec River then.........swim?

mtnkngxt
03-19-2009, 21:38
I think we should put a zipline across it.

Monkeyboy
03-19-2009, 21:40
Weasy whizzing over water without a watercraft.

Say that 10 times fast.

Bulldawg
03-19-2009, 21:49
AMEN, hikin' Bro.!:D
Unfortunately, the InterNet & ALL of its BLOGS, FORUMS, etc...has DE-PERSONALIZED us as a SOCIETY...we can DAWG someone else without ever having to see them "FACE-TO-FACE", (& suffer no consequences) etc...
If we could ALL play NICE...this would be a better WORLD!:D

Why did you capatilize DAWG???

Say that 10 times fast.

My head is spinning!!!

Tin Man
03-19-2009, 22:18

Say that 10 times fast.

Weasy whizzing wover water without watercraft.
Weasy whizzing wover water without waterwraft.
...hey!

Heater
03-19-2009, 22:37
So how do YOU cross the Kennebec River then.........swim?

Two words.

Hot air.

:D

phishpapond
03-19-2009, 22:46

Read about half the posts and noticed no one was on topic.
Quoted so people would know what I was talking about.
I do talk to people the online and in real live.
So that means if I fill the need to tell you off online I would do the same face to face>

Monkeyboy
03-19-2009, 22:49
Two words.

Hot air.

:D

Heck........and here I thought he just walked across it.........

Spogatz
03-19-2009, 23:02
There is alway the teleporter. Be magically whisked away to the other side of the river.....