PDA

View Full Version : Thornton Gap to Front Royal trip report

Coffee
04-28-2013, 19:42
I wrote up a trip report of my hike this weekend. Couldn't have asked for better weather and conditions for a SNP spring hike! I am considering either Compton Gap to Harpers Ferry or Rockfish Gap to Thronton Gap for my next AT segment. This was almost too short at just two days but that's the time I had to spare for now.

http://www.ramblinghiker.com/?p=196

HikerMom58
04-28-2013, 21:20
Very nice, RH!! I enjoyed it very much! :) I'll have to try the Blackberry Shake sometime!

johnnybgood
04-28-2013, 21:35
The weather this week in SNP couldn't be beat, warm sunny days with cool nights . Glad you had a memorable hike, now comes the fun in planning the next hiking trip.

The blackberry shakes are delightful, but now they've gone up to $ 4.50 !!l

Craig Vitter
05-24-2013, 20:56
Great trip report. Very timely as I am planning to do the same stretch myself starting Monday morning. My big concern having never done it before is getting water along the way once I get past Elk Wallow. I am planning on doing the trip a little bit slower than you did though, two nights instead of just one.

Cookerhiker
05-24-2013, 21:29
Brings back so many memories of how nice SNP is in April and I miss living so far away now. Glad you enjoyed it and terrific photos!

shelb
05-27-2013, 23:39
T
The blackberry shakes are delightful, but now they've gone up to $ 4.50 !!l

Ah...inflation! But, they are worth it!!!!

Cherokee Bill
07-16-2013, 19:57
GREAT report and I very much enjoyed the pics! My buddy and I are hopefully going to "Thru-hike" the SNP as soon as the mean-daytime temps get around 50 - 60 deg. Happy Hiking all:)

inkedloner
08-15-2013, 12:44
I'm looking to do a loop of this Front Royal - Thornton Gap - Front Royal next week. Is water easy to find along the trail, or should I expect to load up when I can?
I will have my dog with me, and he's a thirsty boy which is why I ask.

hayshaker170
08-16-2013, 09:49
I'm looking to do a loop of this Front Royal - Thornton Gap - Front Royal next week. Is water easy to find along the trail, or should I expect to load up when I can?
I will have my dog with me, and he's a thirsty boy which is why I ask.

My kids and I just did the 9 miles from Thornton Gap to Elkwallow Gap on Sunday. There were at least 3 spots to find good water sources along the way. In Elkwallow picnic area there is a good stream or spring. They also have drinking fountains but the water was rusty tasting. I imagine there is plenty of water due to all the rain