PDA

View Full Version : why backpack the AT?

Praha4
04-29-2013, 10:47
I have a friend who grew up in California.... hiked the JMT and in Yosemite back in the 70s.... now lives in Florida. He has shown no interest in hiking any of the AT, never even seen it except for hundreds of AT hiking youtube videos he watches. In brief, he gives the following reasons:

" .... a thing that bothered me, while reading Trail journals was surprised how often the AT hikers intersected with civilization, very contrary to experiences out west. Almost sacrilegious to the concept of backpacking as i learned and practiced it. Generally didn't come out of the wild until it was necessary, otherwise why go in the first place? "

I can understand why folks want to avoid crowds on the AT during thru hiker season, but I don't understand anyone who avoids the AT because it is too close to civilization and has an attitude of .... why even go backpacking if you are not out in true wilderness?

I don't really know any such "wilderness" backpacking on the east coast, unless one ventures into northern Canada or regions of Maine away from all roads and towns.... I've tried to coax this guy out on the trail just for a short section hike, telling him don't judge the AT until you have tried it once. Another part of me says he is just a cyber hiker.

what do you say to someone who asks... "why even go backpacking in the first place if it's not in the wilderness away from any civilization?"

max patch
04-29-2013, 10:59
You don't have to go into town just because it just down the road a few miles.

I like being able to go into town once a week to shower, eat, resupply. If that makes me a wimp so be it.

DeerPath
04-29-2013, 11:32
I have a friend who grew up in California.... hiked the JMT and in Yosemite back in the 70s.... now lives in Florida. He has shown no interest in hiking any of the AT, never even seen it except for hundreds of AT hiking youtube videos he watches. In brief, he gives the following reasons:

" .... a thing that bothered me, while reading Trail journals was surprised how often the AT hikers intersected with civilization, very contrary to experiences out west. Almost sacrilegious to the concept of backpacking as i learned and practiced it. Generally didn't come out of the wild until it was necessary, otherwise why go in the first place? "

I can understand why folks want to avoid crowds on the AT during thru hiker season, but I don't understand anyone who avoids the AT because it is too close to civilization and has an attitude of .... why even go backpacking if you are not out in true wilderness?

I don't really know any such "wilderness" backpacking on the east coast, unless one ventures into northern Canada or regions of Maine away from all roads and towns.... I've tried to coax this guy out on the trail just for a short section hike, telling him don't judge the AT until you have tried it once. Another part of me says he is just a cyber hiker.

what do you say to someone who asks... "why even go backpacking in the first place if it's not in the wilderness away from any civilization?"

I understand your friends position and can agree with it. But, the East Coast is overwhelmingly populated and developed compared to the West, so it's difficult to turn down showers, good food and a bed for a night. I predict more hostels, food and camping supply will increase along the trail making it easier to hike the AT, and the West Coast. It's just development! :-? I think your friend should go soon!
Happy Trails

Feral Bill
04-29-2013, 11:40
I normally hike in western wilderness. It's different than the AT, but neither better or worse. It sounds like your friend has trouble seeing things through the eyes of others.

MDSection12
04-29-2013, 11:40
Tell him to check out Dolly Sods, WV. If he needs convincing pull up a map of light pollution on the East Coast... That black hole, ya that's Dolly Sods.

The AT is a 'social trail,' and if you don't like that you should hike elsewhere. :rolleyes:

T.S.Kobzol
04-29-2013, 11:47
I agree with your friend but I would also say that it would not stop me from going into the outdoors or from hiking the AT. You could load up for 10 days and just keep going every time you cross a road. When it is time to resupply for YOU then you go to town or whatever system you come up with. Same with shelters. You can stop and chat or just keep going and camp when it's time to stop. Walk off the trail to find a good camping spot and no one will even know you're there.

Deadeye
04-29-2013, 11:57
East is East and West is West and ne'er the twain shall meet! The experiences are vastlty different and vive la difference! Out west, you can hike along a stream, and see the tops of the mountains, and head right up if you choose, but you can also see a tent from far off. Back east, you're in the trees nearly all the time, and can be totally invisible just a few feet from the trail... views are rare and precious. Eastern skiers learn to deal with ice, western skiers deal with powder. Some westerners have to dig a hole to get to the top of eastern mountains, but ours are just as tough to climb.

I'm afraid your friend is missing the boat by relying on sources other than his own feet, hands, and eyes. He may find it different if he actually gets outside.

fredmugs
04-29-2013, 12:14
If you can differentiate between "hiking" and "backpacking" I would say that you hike the AT but you do not backpack it. In Colorado and Yellowstone I "backpacked" which to me means you go out and explore an area and then return where you started. Hiking involves going from Point A to Point B. At least that's how I look at.

EllieMP
04-29-2013, 12:39
I'll be starting my thru hike next year if all goes as planned. Why backpack the AT? I can understand why someone who was hiking in the 70's might find the AT too crowded now. There was much less development forty years ago to deal with. We must not let that stop us from getting out into nature. We can use it to our advantage.

The thru hiker season is a busy time. That is part of the reason why I feel comfortable in attempting this hike. I'll be sixty and most liking making this thru hike on my own. I will appreciate meeting people who are going my way as well as finding it convenient to get off the trail when I need to. It will allow me to carry a lighter pack. It increases my odds of making it to Maine from Georgia. It may not be to some, true wilderness or truly uncivilized, but it is going to be the greatest physical challenge that I take on in my life. It will be my greatest challenge of living in nature for an extended period of time. If it is an easy challenge, there would be a greater percentage of people who make it all the way. I envy and applaud those who have completed the hike.

I have not yet met anyone who has completed the thru hike and look forward to meeting those people on my way to the top of Katahdin.

Hummingbird in preparation!

Malto
04-29-2013, 12:42
Having thru hiked the PCT I would rehike that trail vs the AT if given the opportunity to thru-hike another Trail (and the CDT was not on the table). But I am expecting to finish the AT over the next couple of years by hiking it a weekend at a time. Is it the PCT no, but I can get to most of the AT for weekend hikes living in PA.

garlic08
04-29-2013, 15:34
I definitely relate to your friend's concern because I didn't hike the AT first and didn't want to, but having finally hiked it I see why it's there and why so many people hike it every year. It took less than 24 hours on the trail to fall in love with it on my thru hike.

You need to see the AT as a single entity to really appreciate it, I believe. When you can hike to a restaurant every day in the mid-Atlantic, just enjoy that. It makes up for the freeways and railroads and power lines and lawnmowers and barking dogs. The Southern Appalachians and the Whites are truly challenging hiking, world-class stuff. Other parts of the trail I enjoyed the sociology and history. Visiting small rural southern towns was a new experience for me. You see Civil War stuff in the South, Revolutionary War stuff in the North--how cool is that? The existence of the volunteer maintaining organizations is an amazing feat in itself, and whenever I saw a crew I stopped to help and chat and that made my day. The social aspect can be huge if you want it to, or you can hike essentially alone if you prefer that.

Praha4
04-29-2013, 15:43
absent easy access to true unspoiled wilderness on the east coast, I guess I'll have to continue hiking the AT... with all it's imperfections. And in the after-life, when I run into Achilles at the northern terminus, he'll write in the Pearly Gates shelter logbook:

"here stands Praha4, who wandered the eastern mountains for years with a pack on his back, thinking he was actually backpacking. So it is written, so it shall be done."

BrianLe
04-29-2013, 16:02
I think it's great for anyone to hike the AT; I'm a west coaster, but hiked the AT and am glad that I did.

That said, I think a (the?) better question is: If you're resolved to thru-hike on of the really long trails in the U.S., which one should you hike (first)?
You can't know ahead of time if you'll want to and/or be able to hike more than one long trail, so it seems to me that you should go for the overall "best" experience. For some that will be the AT because they live near it, have been hearing a lot about it, know people who hiked it, ... that sort of thing. But if one could look at it in a truly objective way, IMO the "best" trail to hike first is the PCT. It's not really "harder" just "differently hard".

Caveat: if you want to get a sort of weird insight into the geography and culture of small town America along the east coast or are interested in American history, the AT is a great first choice. If you want the easiest resupply and maximal opportunity to eat town food along the way, go with the AT. And if you want to experience arguably the best (or at least the most extensive) "trail culture", on a trail where you're less likely to be treated as a hobo even though you look like one --- the AT. For me personally, the sum of those benefits is far outweighed by better trail quality/grade, much more in the way of views, more geographic diversity of land form and climate and flora & fauna, and more relatively "remote", real backpacking that the PCT offers.

In the context of the other trails I'm sometimes guilty of "talking down" the AT, but I don't understand the mindset that says "I'm simply not interested" (!).

Namtrag
04-29-2013, 16:14
It's all perspective. Ask a person from Singapore if the AT is "getting away from it all" and the answer will probably be a lot different than your friend's answer who needs more solitude.

garlic08
04-29-2013, 17:36
When I hiked the PCT, I actually heard a California-based hiker who hadn't hiked the AT, and never would, call it "that training trail back East." I felt sorry for that guy after I'd hiked the AT, realizing that he would never get to experience what I just did.

Another example of a world-class trail that is not a wilderness experience is El Camino de Santiago de Compostela in Spain. There are many reasons to go out on a trek. Seeking wilderness is just one of them.

Astro
04-29-2013, 20:31
It's all perspective. Ask a person from Singapore if the AT is "getting away from it all" and the answer will probably be a lot different than your friend's answer who needs more solitude.

After having lived in Singapore for a year, I can agree first hand that you make an excellent point! :)

Chaco Taco
04-29-2013, 20:35
I definitely relate to your friend's concern because I didn't hike the AT first and didn't want to, but having finally hiked it I see why it's there and why so many people hike it every year. It took less than 24 hours on the trail to fall in love with it on my thru hike.

You need to see the AT as a single entity to really appreciate it, I believe. When you can hike to a restaurant every day in the mid-Atlantic, just enjoy that. It makes up for the freeways and railroads and power lines and lawnmowers and barking dogs. The Southern Appalachians and the Whites are truly challenging hiking, world-class stuff. Other parts of the trail I enjoyed the sociology and history. Visiting small rural southern towns was a new experience for me. You see Civil War stuff in the South, Revolutionary War stuff in the North--how cool is that? The existence of the volunteer maintaining organizations is an amazing feat in itself, and whenever I saw a crew I stopped to help and chat and that made my day. The social aspect can be huge if you want it to, or you can hike essentially alone if you prefer that.
Thumbs up, well said as usual

Different Socks
04-29-2013, 20:37
I sometimes tell aspiring thru hikers if you want company, do the AT., If you want solitude and don't mind a few others to see/meet along the way, do the PCT. If you wish to experience wildness, do the CDT.

slbirdnerd
04-29-2013, 21:01
The AT is an experience like none other. You're experiencing America--viewing a cross section of the East, experiencing each state along the way, meeting new people from all areas and walks of life, maybe even making friends, seeing all the different towns along the way. Of course, if you want to be alone, you can ignore all that and just walk. You're still going to see a big part of America, and a different part than the West. It's still an adventure.

BrianLe
04-30-2013, 13:33
"I sometimes tell aspiring thru hikers if you want company, do the AT"

I had a lot more company on the PCT --- makes a big difference what time of year you start.

Mags
04-30-2013, 16:35
I had a lot more company on the PCT --- makes a big difference what time of year you start.

I hiked with more people (on and off) on the PCT than the AT.

The most thru-hikers I saw at one time on the AT was in ME when I saw 13 SoBos.

This was dwarfed by the amount of people I saw on the PCT at the start.

Sarcasm the elf
04-30-2013, 20:16
This is why I hike. I couldn't imagine deciding to stay indoors instead of hiking the A.T. Based on the notion that the trail wasn't "wilderness" enough.:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/946717_379289508846393_1529082632_n.jpg

Praha4
04-30-2013, 20:48
There's more to this guy's negative opinion of backpacking in the east; it's more than just a dislike of hiking in the east... for lack of true "wilderness" in the east... what he expressed was a lack of respect, a disdain for the sport in the east, as if west coast backpacking is somehow a sacred sport.... performed by true artists, e.g. the Varsity, and east coast backpackers are rank amateures, befouling the very ground walked on....the JV team......

...an arrogance that I found offensive the more I thought about it. This is the same arrogance described by Guthook in his blog, the attitude he encountered on his PCT hike by some who look down their noses at AT backpacking.

and compounding the arrogance is the fact this guy has never stepped one foot on the AT.... his high and mighty opinions were forged by sitting on his *ss watching youtube videos of AT hikes, and reading others Trail Journals.

rant over

T.S.Kobzol
05-01-2013, 18:11
I think it is just an excuse to not go. Let's face it we all know what it feels like when we rrrreally got to get out and backpack. That passion and energy totally transcends some shallow polemization about the quality of the trail.

There's more to this guy's negative opinion of backpacking in the east; it's more than just a dislike of hiking in the east... for lack of true "wilderness" in the east... what he expressed was a lack of respect, a disdain for the sport in the east, as if west coast backpacking is somehow a sacred sport.... performed by true artists, e.g. the Varsity, and east coast backpackers are rank amateures, befouling the very ground walked on....the JV team......

...an arrogance that I found offensive the more I thought about it. This is the same arrogance described by Guthook in his blog, the attitude he encountered on his PCT hike by some who look down their noses at AT backpacking.

and compounding the arrogance is the fact this guy has never stepped one foot on the AT.... his high and mighty opinions were forged by sitting on his *ss watching youtube videos of AT hikes, and reading others Trail Journals.

rant over

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

Marta
05-01-2013, 19:04
"The perfect is the enemy of the good."

Disdaining anything less than perfect is usually just an excuse for never finishing a project, or never starting something achievable because the aspirant is waiting for something that will probably never be achievable.

It's doubly sad if the aspirant is rejecting something without even trying it. Rather childish, frankly, like a kid who refuses to taste a food because he's sure he won't like it.

While AT videos are often enjoyable, they are not the same as the direct experience. If one has had the direct experience, watching a video can bring back visceral memories. If one has not had the direct experience, the more one reads and watches, the less connected to reality the fantasies about the experience can become.

An AT video that accurately recreates the experience would last for months, and would feature extremely long stretches in which nothing particularly worth filming happens. The video couldn't transmit the feel of air on skin, the rush of blood through the veins, the ache of feet and legs and shoulders, and the exquisite relief of stopping at the end of the day and sleeping the sleep of contentment. Because a film like that would be so boring, actual films take tiny snippets of the experience--the meals, the people, the animals...--and make it seem as if that's most of it. Far from it.

BrianLe
05-02-2013, 01:24
"This is the same arrogance described by Guthook in his blog, the attitude he encountered on his PCT hike by some who look down their noses at AT backpacking."

If anything, my PCT experience was the opposite of this insofar as there are so many AT veterans hiking the PCT. I hadn't hiked the AT yet, and once in a while in conversations I felt --- certainly not intended by the folks involved --- but I felt like an outsider at a fraternity reunion. One of the reasons I hiked the AT is that I heard so much about it on the PCT that I couldn't resist seeing it for myself.

Dogwood
05-02-2013, 02:22

Everyone has their own reasons for backpacking and the kind of backpacking experiences they desire. BUT, as someone who has thru-hiked the TC trails as well as the JMT(3X) your friend is wrong on a couple of accounts.

The JMT is a rather remote(mostly back country) long distance trail. It's one of the continuous marked trails in the Lower 48 of 200+ miles that gives a hiker a feeling of REAL WILDERNESS. Heck, the JMT in it's 210-220 mile length NEVER crosses a road! I totally get and agree with how your friend defines HIKING ON THE JMT. BUT, the JMT is kinda special! Not only is the JMT special but, IMO, the entire Sierras: three National Parks and how many Wilderness Areas, etc? It's also the reason I keep going back and why the JMT is one of the few long distance trails I've thru-hiked more than once. I love hiking in the Sierras! Although a few other western and mid western continuous marked trails share some(much?) of that same wilderness feeling as the JMT NOT ALL trails west of the Mississippi have this trait to the degree of the JMT! Actually, I would say very few 200+ mile continuous marked trails west of the Mississippi have the same level of wilderness as the JMT. If your friend is going to say that ALL continuous marked trails(not extensive routes!) out west provide the same level of wilderness experience as the JMT he is incorrect in that opinion! He would know this if he had thru-hiked the PCT and/or CDT. Plenty of contact with civilization on the PCT and even to some, but to a lesser extent, on the CDT.

"I normally hike in western wilderness. It's different than the AT, but neither better or worse. It sounds like your friend has trouble seeing things through the eyes of others." - Feral Bill

That's me of late. Even though I grew up on the east coast I prefer long distance backpacking out west and the mid west BUT I"LL HIKE and ENJOY IT ANYWHERE I opt to hike. Hey, the BMT and LT are GREAT trails too! There IS NO better or worse just as Feral Bill says! - JUST DIFFERENT!

"Tell him to check out Dolly Sods, WV. If he needs convincing pull up a map of light pollution on the East Coast... That black hole, ya that's Dolly Sods." - MDSection12

If you want to avoid light pollution in the U.S. check out 1) southern Utah 2) some areas in Arizona 3) the Dakotas 4) the Upper Peninsula in Michigan 5) the Mojave Desert in Cali 6) islands in the Pacific(Hawaii, NOT OAHU)

"Having thru hiked the PCT I would rehike that trail vs the AT if given the opportunity to thru-hike another Trail." - Malto

My opinion too. But the AT is one of my cherished loves too! I've cherished all my experiences with her! I'm so appreciative that she has enriched my life!

As BrianLe said, "I think it's great for anyone to hike the AT; I'm a west coaster, but hiked the AT and am glad that I did."

".....hike the AT.....having finally hiked it I see why it's there and why so many people hike it every year. It took less than 24 hours on the trail to fall in love with it(her) on my thru-hike." - Garlic

Me too! Couldn't have said it better myself!

You need to see the AT as a single entity to really appreciate it...." - Garlic

Couldn't have said it any better!

"When you can hike to a restaurant every day in the mid-Atlantic, just enjoy that. It makes up for the freeways and railroads and power lines and lawnmowers and barking dogs. The Southern Appalachians and the Whites are truly challenging hiking, world-class stuff!. Other parts of the trail I enjoyed the sociology and history. Visiting small rural southern towns was a new experience for me. You see Civil War stuff in the South, Revolutionary War stuff in the North--how cool is that? The existence of the volunteer maintaining organizations is an amazing feat in itself, and whenever I saw a crew I stopped to help and chat and that made my day. The social aspect can be huge if you want it to, or you can hike essentially alone if you prefer that. - Garlic

Absolutely!

"It's all perspective." - Namtrag

Absolutely!

"The AT is an EXPERIENCE like none other. You're experiencing America--viewing a cross section of the East, experiencing each state along the way, meeting new people from all areas and walks of life, maybe even making friends, seeing all the different towns along the way. Of course, if you want to be alone, you can ignore all that and just walk. You're still going to see a big part of America, and a different part than the West. It's still an adventure." - Slbirdnerd

Absolutely!

What I've highlighted and the comments shared on this thread amply demonstrate how worthy it is to hike the AT IF YOU WILL ALLOW HER INTO YOUR SOUL BY EMBRACING HER FOR ALL SHE OFFERS! To know her is to love her! To love her is to know her! Memories of her have made me a wealthy soul!

Dogwood
05-02-2013, 02:36

rant over

I've noticed that arrogance a few times from western hikers who, for the most part, have LIMITED or NO eastern hiking experiences. But, those who hike a lot in MANY different locals across the U.S. and who are IN LOVE with hiking in general DO NOT typically have this arrogance. I don't often observe this attitude from TCers for example. Ignorance mixed with pride is fertile ground for arrogance. I used to get upset about these attitudes but I've learned to let it go by being calmer about it and attempting to enlighten people with these attitudes about the joys of hiking across the U.S. Thank goodness not all hikes are the same! I find beauty in redheads as much as in blonds and brunettes! Grey can be beautiful too!

garlic08
05-02-2013, 08:55
...Grey can be beautiful too!

Absolutely! (Could you imagine saying that 30 years ago?)

forager5.56
05-02-2013, 11:27
I hike for the love of nature and to get away from the wasichu(Lakota word meaning those who are non-indigenous who take without asking)

hikerboy57
05-02-2013, 13:38
there is no trail like the a.t. its the social aspect, the sense of family and community that makes it so special. there are plenty of other trails to hike if you're looking for solitude, and although i've spent the last 6 weeks hiking amidst the bubble, many days ive been lone the whole time.

Dogwood
05-02-2013, 14:21
More good stuff(IMHO - right attitudes) from ALL of you. I'm with the right crowd! Thank you everyone! Some REAL HIKERS posting on this thread. Where's LW?

MuddyWaters
05-03-2013, 08:02
Its easy to get to.
Has easy , frequent access, as well as lots of services that facilitate hiking it.
Works well for dayhikers, sectioners, or thrus.
It also has ample, frequent , water sources most of the time.
Often lots of people, so that no one feels alone.
Well travelled and maintained.

Its just easy to hike most of it.

susiecruise
05-05-2013, 12:37
Listening to the aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombings, I am once again reminded how lucky I am to be physically able to get out on the trail (any trail) and wander. I am thankful that the AT and all the surrounding land that protects it exists for all those that have the inclination to get out and explore instead of watching youtube.

10-K
05-05-2013, 13:07
The best trail to hike is the next one. I've hiked the AT and am looking forward to the PCT because I've never set foot on it.

Personally, I like something with a bit more challenge than the AT but all in all it's a great trail.

Even
05-05-2013, 20:45

I've done the best so screw the the rest is pure bull! He is a cyber hiker if you ask me! I love throwing a pack on and doing an overnighter! Am I hiking or backpacking? I don't know but I have my pack and I'm hiking so to my thought I'm doing both! Closed minds miss so much in life!!!!!

Dogwood
05-06-2013, 01:40
Does he live in a BIG city in FL? Guess it's OK to live surrounded by civilization that's in his face daily but when it comes to backpacking the AT it's too civilized for him?

Praha4
05-06-2013, 11:34
I think all of us have our own reasons for backpacking. From what I've read, the AT navigates thru or adjacent to 26 Federally designated Wilderness areas from GA to ME.... I recall passing many, many "Wilderness Area" signs while hiking on the AT. I don't usually give it a lot of thought, but Federal law protects these wilderness areas, trail maintainers have to abide by regulations, no power tools allowed for one thing.

But 0f course hiking the AT is not hiking thru a continuous 2,000+ mile hike thru wilderness. So next time I get this question....

Q. "How wild is the AT?"

here's the answer from the ATC website:

A. The well-known plaque at Springer Mountain in Georgia describes the A.T. as “a footpath for those who seek fellowship with the wilderness.” What does that mean? The Trail will indeed take you deep into some of the wildest and most remote woodlands of the eastern United States. But true “wilderness,” in the sense of untouched wild country, is rare, even on the A.T. Much of the land that the Trail follows was once farmland—even the steep, stony, remote slopes—and nearly all of it has been logged at some time during the last four centuries. Except for bears, bobcats, and coyotes, most large natural predators have been exterminated.

In the twentieth century, though, much of the formerly settled land was incorporated into state and national parks and forests. On that land, forests and wildlife have returned. As you walk through what seems like primeval wilderness, you're likely to run across old stone walls or abandoned logging roads or the foundations of nineteenth-century homesteads. The federal government has designated some of those areas as protected wilderness areas, which strictly limits the ways in which they can be used. Today, the mountains teem with creatures of all sorts, from microbes to moose. To the casual hiker who knows only the woods of a suburban park, it can seem very wild indeed.

One good way to look at the “wilderness” of the A.T. is as a series of long, skinny islands of wildness, surrounded by a sea of populated valleys inhabited by working farms and suburban communities. In the vast national forests of the South and the spreading timberlands of northern New England, those “islands” are somewhat broader. But, even in its wildest places, the A.T. hiker is rarely more than a strenuous day's walk from the nearest highway or community.

Dogwood
05-06-2013, 11:56
Thar you go.

Feral Bill
05-06-2013, 11:58
The richness, beauty, and diversity of the eastern forest ecosystems through which the AT passes is more than enough justification for hiking here. I enjoy the vast alpine vistas of the west as well as anybody, but to not appreciate eastern forests is based on pure ignorance.

sbhikes
05-06-2013, 20:08
I have heard people say similar things but about the Los Padres National Forest where I live. They live within an hour of some awesome backpacking places in the Los Padres but will only hike in the Sierra. The JMT is very beautiful and it is very much out in the wilderness, if you measure wilderness by lack of development. But you pass other people every 15 minutes. It's not really solitude. I suppose if you get off the beaten path then it is, but mostly I've seen more people there than lots of other places I have been.

Dogwood
05-06-2013, 23:41
Hike the Sierras in Sept and into Oct and the crowds - PUFF - disappear. Stay off the JMT in summer and hike elsewhere in the Sierras bushwacking or trail hiking. PLENTY a PLENTY of other WONDERFUL maintained and signed trails in the Sierras VERY WORTHY of experiencing WITHOUT THE CROWDS!!! Just look at trail maps for Yosemite NP, Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP, and Ansel Adams Wilderness and there are 100's upon 100's of miles of trails in the Sierras worthy of exploration. Go into the light. Go into the light. Don't be afraid of the light.

Dogwood
05-06-2013, 23:47
The richness, beauty, and diversity of the eastern forest ecosystems through which the AT passes is more than enough justification for hiking here. I enjoy the vast alpine vistas of the west as well as anybody, but to not appreciate eastern forests is based on pure ignorance.

FB, you get it!

Meg Wilson Author
05-07-2013, 07:24
Why hike the AT? Ask these ten thru-hiking women from the Class of 2012
http://megwilsonauthor.com/?p=946

See you at Trail Days!

Cookerhiker
05-07-2013, 12:44
It may be true that compared to trails in the west, the AT is closer to civilization, even in the so-called 100 Mile Wilderness. But if you want the experience of hiking with less fellow trail users and minimizing town impacts, hike the AT off-season. Better yet, hike some of the East's other trails that see a faction of the usage the AT receives - Allegheny Trail, the trail networks in Monongahela National Forest (Otter Creek, Cranberry Wilderness), BMT, the northern part of the Long Trail.

rant over

I've noticed that arrogance a few times from western hikers who, for the most part, have LIMITED or NO eastern hiking experiences. But, those who hike a lot in MANY different locals across the U.S. and who are IN LOVE with hiking in general DO NOT typically have this arrogance. I don't often observe this attitude from TCers for example. Ignorance mixed with pride is fertile ground for arrogance. I used to get upset about these attitudes but I've learned to let it go by being calmer about it and attempting to enlighten people with these attitudes about the joys of hiking across the U.S. Thank goodness not all hikes are the same! I find beauty in redheads as much as in blonds and brunettes! Grey can be beautiful too!

Any time I see references to westerners disrespecting Eastern trails and hikers, my response is the following: Block out 2-3 weeks, fly to Boston, catch a bus to Pinkham Notch and a shuttle to the AT trailhead at Gorham. Start hiking north. And after you reach Caratunk, tell me how easy and unchallenging these Eastern "foothills" were and how they're overrun with civilization, and how despite the myriad lakes and evergreens and mountaintops with alpine flowers and moose sightings and wild blueberries and lush, multi-colored mosses and fragrant balsam firs - the AT is boring and not up to Western standards.

garlic08
05-07-2013, 15:42
...Any time I see references to westerners disrespecting Eastern trails and hikers, my response is the following: Block out 2-3 weeks, fly to Boston, catch a bus to Pinkham Notch and a shuttle to the AT trailhead at Gorham. Start hiking north. And after you reach Caratunk, tell me how easy and unchallenging these Eastern "foothills" were and how they're overrun with civilization, and how despite the myriad lakes and evergreens and mountaintops with alpine flowers and moose sightings and wild blueberries and lush, multi-colored mosses and fragrant balsam firs - the AT is boring and not up to Western standards.

Funny, that's exactly my first AT experience. I joined my wife on her AT thru hike in '02 for the last 300+ miles from Crawford Notch (well, almost exactly--why not add Mt Washington to your proposed section?) to Katahdin. We were living in Colorado at the time, had just hiked the CT, and no way was I going to enjoy the AT, uh uh. Well, I changed my mind with that section. Two years later I thru hiked the PCT. It took another four years to get back and thru-hike the AT. I loved every day of it, if not every step.

hikerboy57
05-07-2013, 15:53
Funny, that's exactly my first AT experience. I joined my wife on her AT thru hike in '02 for the last 300+ miles from Crawford Notch (well, almost exactly--why not add Mt Washington to your proposed section?) to Katahdin. We were living in Colorado at the time, had just hiked the CT, and no way was I going to enjoy the AT, uh uh. Well, I changed my mind with that section. Two years later I thru hiked the PCT. It took another four years to get back and thru-hike the AT. I loved every day of it, if not every step.
maine-the way life should be

Mags
05-07-2013, 16:23
Maine is one of the most beautiful places in the US. Being on top of the ridge in the Barren-Chairbacks and seeing nothing but large lakes and woods as far as the eye can see....simply awesome.

Stolen from here on WB...ah:

http://www.2000milehike.com/images/week%2018/sept%2013/19_14long-pond-chairback_fs.jpg

Another Kevin
05-07-2013, 16:36
As well say that none of the US is wilderness, because mastodons, dire wolves, and sabre-toothed cats have been eliminated by humans.

Mags
05-07-2013, 16:51
As well say that none of the US is wilderness, because mastodons, dire wolves, and sabre-toothed cats have been eliminated by humans.

http://wallpaperswa.com/thumbnails/detail/20120319/wolves%20monochrome%20game%20of%20thrones%20stark% 20winter%20is%20coming%20banner%20direwolf%20arms% 20song%20of%20ice%20and%20fire%20h_www.wallpaperhi .com_45.jpg

/could not pass up the GOT reference... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN8PKcNGcuI) :D

kofritz
05-07-2013, 17:17
why hike, surely the blue hills, and more blue hills...

jeffmeh
05-07-2013, 19:40
Not to mention that New England during fall foliage is about as spectacular as it can get.... Yes, I am biased, but that does not make me wrong. :)

Cookerhiker
05-08-2013, 08:30
Not to mention that New England during fall foliage is about as spectacular as it can get.... Yes, I am biased, but that does not make me wrong. :)

I agree but I'd also say the foliage is spectacular throughout the entire AT corridor and surrounding mountain chains. My 6 day mid-October hike on the Allegheny Trail last year features every color imaginable. And I've spent many a Fall day in Shenandoah NP enjoying the foliage.

We who have lived in the East our entire lives often take for granted the wonders of the Eastern deciduous hardwood forests.

Edro
05-08-2013, 11:32
Why Hike ANY trail... Because We Like the Outside more than the Inside!

AggieAl
05-08-2013, 22:43
AT, PCT, CDT
Blondes, Redheads, Brunettes
Any reason why I can't love them all?

Astro
05-09-2013, 00:04
AT, PCT, CDT
Blondes, Redheads, Brunettes
Any reason why I can't love them all?

You can love them all, but probably safer to focus on "one at a time". ;)

Feral Bill
05-09-2013, 12:21
You can love them all, but probably safer to focus on "one at a time". ;) Safer, yes. But...

moytoy
05-16-2013, 06:46
My stock answer is that " I've always wanted to see the White Mountains" .

Dogwood
05-16-2013, 13:02
You can love them all, but probably safer to focus on "one at a time". ;)

Especially if the one you are currently with is a spirited green eyed redhead.