PDA

View Full Version : Compton Gap to Harpers Ferry in 3 Days?

Coffee
04-29-2013, 11:48
I hiked from Thornton Gap to Front Royal this weekend and thinking about my next segment hike. I'm looking at Compton Gap in SNP (which is where I left the AT to hike in Front Royal) to Harpers Ferry. This should be about 58 miles. I'm thinking of spending the first night at the tent sites near the Manassas Gap shelter which would be a 16.3 mile day. The second night would be tenting near the Sam Moore shelter for a 19.8 mile day according to atdist.com. And the goal on day 3 would be to reach Harpers Ferry and probably stay at the Teahorse hostel, then take the train into DC the next morning.

My question is whether this plan is too aggressive given the "rollercoaster" section of the trail. I will have a 24-25 pound pack for the trip and I'm training for my JMT thru hike this summer. I want to push myself physically but also enjoy the trip. I would be open to a three night/four day trip as well but I want to stay in tent sites rather than shelters. I'm not sure if you can just camp anywhere along this segment since it isn't in a national park...

DeerPath
04-29-2013, 14:53
You can camp most every place except the Sky Meadows State Park area you pass thru, next to G.Richard Thompson WMA.

Malto
04-29-2013, 15:05
Nobody can answer if you can do this ...... but having done high mile days in this section I can tell you there wasn't anything out of the ordinary that I saw. The roller coaster IMHO is over-rated.

Coffee
04-29-2013, 15:50
The roller coaster IMHO is over-rated.

That's what I think as well after looking at the elevation profiles but it is good to have confirmation of this from someone who has done that section.

johnnybgood
04-29-2013, 16:48
Do this before it gets hot and humid for water can be an issue in this section
With increased daylight , it will stay light until 8 going on 8:30 , therefore more hiking hours if you start early.

If you can't make Harpers Ferry , the Bears Den is a good bail out option 20 miles south. The hostel provides shuttles .

marylandmymaryland
05-06-2013, 23:55
sam moore to HF is ~22miles. the first 5 are in the rollercoaster. the last 15 are virtually flat except the descent down to HF. at 2.5mph through the coaster and 3.5 through the flats, you could do the whole thing in like 7 hours.

i hiked this section this weekend actually.

fredmugs
05-07-2013, 08:12
Hahahahaha. The Rollercoaster.

No problem for me. You didn't provide any relevant information about you.

marylandmymaryland
05-07-2013, 16:30
Hahahahaha. The Rollercoaster.

No problem for me. You didn't provide any relevant information about you.

if there hadn't been a sign that said "warning: you are about to enter the rollercoaster" you wouldn't even know it was any different than most of the trail, but the section just north of it is certainly what i would consider to be flat.

RED-DOG
05-07-2013, 17:02
While you are in that area you need to stop in at the Bears Den Rocks Hostel that place ROCKS for sure, the Rollercoaster is more HYPE than anything. Good luck and happy Hiking.

Coffee
11-02-2013, 09:45
So I am finally looking at doing this section, possibly as soon as this coming week since the weather is looking pretty favorable. Has anyone been on this section recently? Any tips on water availability or conditions would be appreciated! I'm going to buy the relevant PATC maps/guidebook at REI today for planning purposes. Thanks.

johnnybgood
11-02-2013, 17:40
Hiked Sky Meadows to Bears Den in August, the water at both Rod Hollow and Sam Moore Shelters was flowing steady. I'll remind you however, the month of November historically is the driest month annually in Virginia. On another note; Bears Den had new caretakers this year, and they were not doing hiker shuttles when I inquired about in August.