PDA

View Full Version : Packing Tips

Goonky
04-29-2013, 19:12
I'm headed out for my first section hike of the season - 8 days in North Carolina. Super pumped. I'm a relatively new hiker, just did my first real section hike last summer (about 60 miles in the 100 mile wilderness in Maine). Having a blast hiking and hope to continue for a long time.

I'm pretty happy with my gear, I just struggle getting everything in the bag. I have:

Osprey 65 backpack
a microlite tent from LL Bean
LL Bean 20 degree bag
Jetboil Stove
Platypus Gravity Water Filter System
Rei Women's Core lite sleeping pad

I know I could go lighter with my base gear and probably will at some point when money allows. But for now this is what I have.

Any tips on packing more compactly? It's all in there, including food, clothes, medical stuff and day to day stuff. It's just packed to the brim. Is that normal?

My clothes are all in a stuff sack, all food is in a stuff sack, and I have a couple smaller sacks with the medical, kitchen, etc stuff. I've tried really hard to cut back.

Please don't recommend new gear that's lighter and more compact. That will just bum me out :) since I can't get it right now.

I'm going to go through it all again tomorrow, but welcome any advice before I attack the pack again.

Wise Old Owl
04-29-2013, 19:35
The biggest Gorilla in the middle of the room in your list is your sleeping bag. 2nd is the stove.. and that is OK When you get a few $ try a down 1lbs bag or helium. they compact to a basket ball! Then play with making alcohol stoves or even better Qwiz wood stoves.

Goonky
04-29-2013, 20:01
Yeah, the sleeping bag is big, no question. I do compress it down and that has helped. It's in the bottom of my bag. I also throw my sleep clothes in the bag so they aren't in a clothing bag. Seems to take up less space.

I'm anxious to get a smaller sleeping bag and maybe a tarp tent. I want to hike more before replacing the good gear I have so I can be really sure what I want next time. :)

bigcranky
04-29-2013, 20:35
You could carry the tent outside the pack. That's not a large tent, I think, and if you can get it in a longish tube shape you can carry it upright lashed to the back of your pack. When I carry our 2-person tent, it goes in one of my large side pockets, but my wife has been able to carry it on her Osprey Ariel pack. That might free up some room inside, and also keeps a wet tent outside where it won't soak your other gear.

Goonky
04-29-2013, 20:57
Great suggestion, thanks!

slbirdnerd
04-29-2013, 21:05
+1 on the tent outside in a pocket or something. Just because it comes in a handy stuff sack doesn't mean it needs to stay in it. I have an Osprey Kestrel 58 and my tent and fly (Fly Creel UL2) are going in one size zipper pocket, poles and stakes in the other=no tent in the pack. Everything fits in my pack and I swear it's like I must be forgetting something, I can't believe it's all in there. I have a synthetic 20 degree bag too but can't shop any more right now!

swjohnsey
04-29-2013, 21:59
It's what you leave behind that will make the difference. You should be able to wear all you clothes at the same time except for some extra socks. You will need 1 top, 1 bottom, 3 socks, a wind/waterproof top and bottom, a fleece hat and mittens. You need 3 days food, 5/6 lbs, quart water. I would probably ditch the platypus and go with Aqua Mira. Snag a couple of Gatorade bottles.

Goonky
04-29-2013, 22:24
It's what you leave behind that will make the difference.

Wise advice. I'll remember that tomorrow when I repack it again! :)

shakey_snake
04-29-2013, 23:53
You need to list everything, because what you think you need, you probably don't.

New hikers pack their fears, because they don't know what to expect. If you can give estimates of the weather and temperatures you'll be facing, experienced hikers here can help alleviate some of those fears and help you pare your list down.

e.g. about a month ago there was a guy here attempting to thruhike that insisted on carrying 2 packs of fishing bobbers and a full sized axe.

Goonky
04-30-2013, 09:44
You need to list everything, because what you think you need, you probably don't.

New hikers pack their fears, because they don't know what to expect. If you can give estimates of the weather and temperatures you'll be facing, experienced hikers here can help alleviate some of those fears and help you pare your list down.

e.g. about a month ago there was a guy here attempting to thruhike that insisted on carrying 2 packs of fishing bobbers and a full sized axe.

Thanks. :) I assure you I am not carrying anything like that. I did write everything out and made a gear list. It's a similar list that I used last year and I had someone from WB look through it. They said it was pretty good. I decided to walk away from it last night, but plan to review and repack again tonight pulling out what I can. I'll try to be brutal with what I really need.

You're right about packing fears though, you should have seen my medical kit last year. This year, it's much smaller. :)

srestrepo
04-30-2013, 10:45
before i bought my down bag, what i would do is pack the sleeping bag inside of the backpack at the bottom NOT IN A STUFF SACK. my rationale was the the bag, albeit big, would better conform to the space of the pack and take up less room. it worked for me, i ended up packing my tent body and fly the same way separated only by a plastic bag.

then i saved up and bought down. you dont have to spend an arm and a leg to get more compressible stuff. you just have to bide your time and look for deals. i bought my sleeping bag - sierra designs 30 degree bag. very light very warm extremely comfortable for just a hair over 100 shipped.

try the forums goonky, surely you'll come up with some lightweight and inexpensive alternatives to some of teh gear that you have. that tent is nice, however there are equally inexpensive and lighter options available. good luck!

HooKooDooKu
04-30-2013, 13:56
The only way I can get everything in/on my pack is to stuff the sleeping bag and all the cloths together in one dry bag. That did much better than trying to squeeze the sleeping bag into its stuff sack that would then not conform to the backpack.

From what I can tell looking at some pictures of various Osprey packs (you don't say exactly which Osprey 65 you have), it looks like they have some lashing straps at the bottom (the snap straps on the bottom). You should be able to use those straps to lash the tent to the bottom of the pack if nothing else.

msupple
04-30-2013, 23:58
The only way I can get everything in/on my pack is to stuff the sleeping bag and all the cloths together in one dry bag. That did much better than trying to squeeze the sleeping bag into its stuff sack that would then not conform to the backpack.

From what I can tell looking at some pictures of various Osprey packs (you don't say exactly which Osprey 65 you have), it looks like they have some lashing straps at the bottom (the snap straps on the bottom). You should be able to use those straps to lash the tent to the bottom of the pack if nothing else. I agree this is the best solution. Putting compressible gear (including your tent) into separate stuff sacks creates lots of dead airspace in your pack. I stuff everything such as hammock, underquilt, sleeping bag and sometimes clothes into one huge dry sack. All that gear compresses down and conforms to the shape of your pack, eliminating dead airspaces. Try it and you'll see. Cat in the Hat

Goonky
05-01-2013, 21:24
I agree this is the best solution. Putting compressible gear (including your tent) into separate stuff sacks creates lots of dead airspace in your pack. I stuff everything such as hammock, underquilt, sleeping bag and sometimes clothes into one huge dry sack. All that gear compresses down and conforms to the shape of your pack, eliminating dead airspaces. Try it and you'll see. Cat in the Hat

I ditched the stuff sack the tent was in and the sleeping bag. It did seem to create more space. Thanks to everyone for their help! I'll start saving for UL gear! :)

Bear Cables
05-02-2013, 10:50
My sister and I both have the Osprey Aura 65, is that what you are packing? If so your gear sounds very similar to what my sister packed. Same tent and a similar bag. What are you bringing clothing wise? You might cut some bulk out by leaving extras at home and packing what you need for warmth and rain, plus socks. I pack my Osprey like this..Hood - kitchen items, steripen, bear line, pack cover... Sleeping bag compartment - tent, ground cloth and 7x9 cuben fiber tarp. Internal (from bottom up) clothes in a compressed vacuum bag, pad and sleeping bag , food bag or canister, Back split pockets - one side has first aid and toiletries the other side stores my fleece pullover, gloves and beanie ( for colder weather), Back stretch pocket - rain gear and map. I seal my map in a zip lock. Water bottles in side pouches. Hope this helps.

magic_game03
05-02-2013, 11:35
I've seen a few people here suggest stuff being lashed to the outside of your bag. While I don't wish to say they are wrong but I strongly suggest you avoid lashing anything to the outside of your bag. For the last few years I've been packing my Osprey Aether 60L for me and my two dogs. I pack a Tent, a Bivy, 2 (yes, two) Sleeping bags, an Air Pad and full Foam Pad and all the rest of my gear and it fits into my 60L bag, which 5 liters smaller than your pack. Loose gear hanging off a pack creates a loss of energy in your hiking and while it may not seem like much it adds up just like your footsteps add up to miles at the end of a day.

For my gear list I use 5 groups: Main 4 (pack, bag, pad, tent), Clothes, Cooking, Food Bag, & Extras. First, the Main 4 (sl. bag, air pad, & tent) go in. Second, cooking gear. Third, clothes. Fourth, food. Last, extras. food and extras go in last because they are used the most throughout the day.

springerfever
05-02-2013, 18:51
Sounds like you got a good game plan as far as purchasing new gear. Most of us that have been around a few years have extra packs, sleeping bags, stoves, boots/shoes, you-name-it, that are gathering dust. I would definately recommend that you get an inexpensive digital scale that measures up to about 20 lbs. This can help greatly in your decision making. Hope you enjoy your hike.

katypaty
05-03-2013, 05:38
Sleeping bag is too big. Go for another one. Seriously sleeping bag is an essential but no a heavy one of course.