PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike Advice: Hog Gap Camp to Lynchburg Reservoir

skell23
04-29-2013, 22:29
I am planning to do a section hike from Hog Gap Camp Parking Area to Lynchburg Reservoir for my inaugural backpacking trip with my 12 year old son. I'm thinking we will over-night at Brown Mountain Creek Shelter. Does this sound reasonable or am I being to aggressive? We have done plenty of hikes and will do a couple of prep hikes with packs prior to hitting the trail.
Any advice or intel on this section of the trail will be greatly appreciated.
(Hopefully this is in the right section)

skell23
04-29-2013, 22:31
Should be Hog Camp Gap - oops!

scudder
04-29-2013, 23:57
It shouldn't be a problem. Great views on Cold Mt and then a long downhill. If you're concerned about too much mileage, You could "basecamp" at Hog Camp and do loop hikes . The AT and Old Hotel trail makes a loop over Cold Mt and back to the Gap. And the Henry Lanum Trail takes you up Mt Pleasant (nice views there too), by Mt Pompey and back . Both Hikes are about 5.5 miles. Check out the "hiking upward "site for maps and detailed descriptions of Cold Mt and Mt Pleasant hikes.

aficion
04-30-2013, 07:23
That is a good overnight plan. You'll find the shelter and spring to be right on the trail by a pretty creek. 2nd days hike will be almost all gradual downhill to the lake.

skell23
04-30-2013, 15:09
Thanks for the replies - that is what I hoping to hear!

twilight
04-30-2013, 22:33
Skell, my friend and I just hiked through this area last week. Trail is was very clear as I remember, water was in abundance and the shelter was in nice shape. Don't know when you plan to head out but we saw very few NOBO's during out hike.

Twilight