PDA

View Full Version : Need help pulling the trigger!

Wandering Deer
04-29-2013, 22:56
I'm looking for a backpack that's generally capable of carrying 35+ pounds (upwards of 50), but isn't actually heavy (frame, etc), pseudo-UL, or UL. I prefer internal frames. Right now, I'm torn between Granite Gear Blaze A.C. 60, and Osprey EXOS 46. I'm getting it for a long section hike, but could see myself living out of it depending on how long my hikes become down the road (hence my desire for storage). Storage, weight, and comfort are the most important to me. Are there any packs you can recommend that would accommodate me in this regard, or are one of the packs I'm looking at exactly what I need?

perrito
04-29-2013, 23:10
No way that the Exos 46 should be taken past 35 pounds. I have the 58 and 35 pounds is it's comfort limit in my opinion.

Meriadoc
04-30-2013, 02:17
The Blaze AC 60 cannot handle more than 35. I consider the weight limit (that the frame can handle) to be closer to 30.

Consider the ULA Catalyst, it's a workhorse. I have put 45 in it, although it is not as comfortable with that much weight.

Dogwood
04-30-2013, 02:29
No way that the Exos 46 should be taken past 35 pounds. I have the 58 and 35 pounds is it's comfort limit in my opinion.

Perrito is spot on! 30 lbs is about the max I would haul in the Exos 46. If you feel an exception should made to this rec I would like to know how you come to that conclusion.

patman25
04-30-2013, 08:01
I've carried up to 40lbs in my Blaze AC 60 and was perfectly comfortable. My normal pack weight is usually 30-32 lbs for that pack and I find it's always super comfortable.

The Cleaner
04-30-2013, 08:20
Check out packs by Kelty or Gregory...

bigcranky
04-30-2013, 09:06
No way on the Exos 46. Take a look at the ULA Catalyst.

Studlintsean
04-30-2013, 18:41
Deuter ACT 65

handlebar
04-30-2013, 19:10
The Blaze AC60 is a close cousin of the Nimbus Meridian that I've been carrying. I'm looking to replace the Meridian with the Blaze. From what I can tell, the Blaze suspension is very similar to the Meridian in that it uses a frame sheet. I've had upwards of 60 lbs in the Meridian and it carried OK.

What I recommend is finding a gear store that carries both the Osprey and Granite Gear packs that you're looking at. Take all your gear (or use the weighted bags that any decent gear shop will have) to test that your choice will hold your kit, then walk around for a half mile or so with each to tell which, if either, you like.

Wandering Deer
05-01-2013, 15:59
I'm definitely aware of the limitations of my two-of-choice. I'm not sure which is better, but I'm leaning on the EXOS based on how it looks. I've also been looking at Hyperlite's Porter Pack (as it weighs less than 2 pounds), and is rated to carry 50 pounds, but the price is outrageous, and I don't know enough about it to even consider it. I've had weird experiences with frameless bags.

Beuhler
05-01-2013, 17:30
Deuter ACT 65

+1

Great pack.

Wandering Deer
05-01-2013, 21:08
+1

Great pack.

That's a very sexy pack, and even at almost 4 pounds, I would still be under 10lbs. Is it better than the one's I've been looking at? It looks more comfortable.

MuddyWaters
05-03-2013, 22:58
If you plant to carry those wts, the weight of the pack is not a factor.
The ability of the pack to comfortably carry those weights is however.
You dont need, or want, a UL-ish pack.

Swordpen
05-04-2013, 00:10
If I was going to need a pack to live out of (not just hike), that could carry 80#, you need an external frame.

I have a Kelty Trekker 65 external frame. It weighs 4.5 pounds. But it will carry anything, you could even tie on a shot deer carcass with it & carry it, if you are strong enough. It retails for $149 at REI, but this is a workhorse pack!!

You don't want to be thinking internal frame backpack, or ultralight backpacks. Not for the job you are talking about.

This Kelty, is even better than the military frameless packs (I have a 5.11 Tactical Rush 72 backpack - its a $179 backpack & weighs 6#!) Its heavy, too heavy, & still can't carry as much as the Kelty, & without a frame, the Rush 72's options are limited (even tho it can carry 2 weeks worth of clothing for a overseas trip).

HTH

carophil
06-07-2013, 00:05
i've got a gregory jade 70, and it carries forty pounds very nicely. it hardly feels like there is anything there. it is a little on the heavy side, at about 4 pounds, though.

stranger
06-07-2013, 05:46
I'm looking for a backpack that's generally capable of carrying 35+ pounds (upwards of 50), but isn't actually heavy (frame, etc), pseudo-UL, or UL. I prefer internal frames. Right now, I'm torn between Granite Gear Blaze A.C. 60, and Osprey EXOS 46. I'm getting it for a long section hike, but could see myself living out of it depending on how long my hikes become down the road (hence my desire for storage). Storage, weight, and comfort are the most important to me. Are there any packs you can recommend that would accommodate me in this regard, or are one of the packs I'm looking at exactly what I need?

Any pack can more or less carry any weight, but they will obviously perform differently and if you overload a pack you risk blowing out the seams or suspension system. I don't know how you would get a 50-60 litre pack to weigh 50 lbs but I'm sure it can be done.

If you want to carry weight, don't get a light pack, makes no sense. It's FAR easier to carry 40 lbs in a 4-5lb pack with a good suspension system then carrying 40 lbs in a 2lb pack...you will do MUCH more work in the LIGHTER pack generally speaking, because most of the weight will be carried on your shoulders and back, rather than your hips.

Do what you want, but for 35lbs or more, you are no where near lightweight, accept what you are doing and get the right pack for the job, not the lightest pack.

moytoy
06-07-2013, 06:43
I pretty much agree with Swordpen about the Kelty 65 External. I use mine even with 30 lb load in the summer heat. But you ask about internal frame which I have also and you should at least look at this pack. http://www.elementalhorizons.com/aquilo-pack.aspx

moytoy
06-07-2013, 06:49
He He I think we may be talking to the wind. I just noticed the date on the OP and I think WD may have wondered off. He hasn't posted since 5/01.

Praha4
06-07-2013, 10:54
I've tried Osprey, Granite Gear and Gregory packs.

But my favorite by far is still the Deuter ACT Zero 50+15. Weighs just a bit over 3 lbs. Deuter's Vari-quik harness is the best, allows you to very easily adjust it for your individual torso length.

kidchill
06-07-2013, 17:33
Do you really need to carry that much weight? Not trying to be a dick, but you really gonna carry 50lbs of weight? I mean, I guess if you're gonna carry that weight, you shouldn't be looking at UL packs. I have an HMG pack and it's great, but my base weight is also around 15lbs. I would seriously consider dropping some pack weight...I mean, these packs you're looking at are gonna be about 5lbs, and that's just your pack. I would look at ULA packs if the weight is appropriate (everyone I've seen with them had good things to say about them). The HMG southwest or whatever that I have is a great pack, but I couldn't use it with that kind of weight. I second checking out the Deuter/Gregory packs.

FamilyGuy
06-08-2013, 10:17
The Blaze AC 60 cannot handle more than 35. I consider the weight limit (that the frame can handle) to be closer to 30.

Consider the ULA Catalyst, it's a workhorse. I have put 45 in it, although it is not as comfortable with that much weight.

That is strange. I found the opposite to be true. Are to sure you had the torso adjusted optimal on the Blaze? I found the Catalyst to be very uncomfortable at those weights.

Just goes to show how personal pack fitting is.