PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag for Rainy Regions?

neuraljitter
04-30-2013, 00:38
Hello experienced hikers,
Up to this point, I've only used cheap synthetic sleeping bags. However, now I live in the region of the Cascades, where it is quite rainy most of the year. I want to get a sleeping bag that would be appropriate for the climate.

Now, while I certainly want to keep weight minimal, it is my understanding that down sleeping bags just do not work well when wet. There are times here where it will rain on and off for a week, meaning there'd be little drying time available.
Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of the lightest synthetic bags, say around 20 degrees? Or, if you have a different experience with down, some advice on the matter?

Thanks!

leaftye
04-30-2013, 01:59
Down sleeping bags are pretty hard to wet. Much more will come from sweat than from misting or external condensation, and that can be rectified with a vapor barrier.

Dogwood
04-30-2013, 02:11
Synthetic - CilamaShield Apex

Down - Down Tek, Dri Down

Generally, when rainy conditions are the norm it's time to rethink a down bag or at the very least make some REAL accommodations in the sleeping/insulation equation. Temps, shelter, kit integration, sleeping bag/quilt shells, storage, skill set, hiking duration, access to towns, etc play into the equation too.

staehpj1
04-30-2013, 09:14
I'd just use a down bag. Using one with DWR shell helps. That said, if you want to go synthetic in the temperature rating you mention, the North Face Cat's Meow is a nice bag as synthetic bags go.

Fog Horn
04-30-2013, 11:53
I'd just use a down bag. Using one with DWR shell helps. That said, if you want to go synthetic in the temperature rating you mention, the North Face Cat's Meow is a nice bag as synthetic bags go.

I have the Cat's Meow (long) and I love it. It's warm, even when wet. I find that the main issue with the synthetic Cat's Meow bag is that it does not compress nearly as much as my down bags/quilts. It's a great bag, and like I said, I love it, but it takes up about a third of my pack, even when I put it loose on the bottom of my pack and pile my heavy things on top of it.

Feral Bill
04-30-2013, 12:00
One issue with synthetic fill bags is that they slowly, steadily, lose loft over the years. Down can be kept dry enough, even in the Cascades, with due care.