PDA

View Full Version : Small-print paperbacks on ultra-thin paper?

Little Frog
07-07-2005, 23:49
Just wondering if anyone has a source for small-print novels. Would love to get a few classics (like Count of Monte Cristo or even a modern novel) in very small-print. That would be delightfully lightweight for ultralight backpacking. I'm a voracious reader at night (solo hiker), but the weight of the average paperback is too heavy to justify. Yes, I've cut thrift-store paperbacks in half to save weight, but they are still too heavy.

Anyone ever hear of a publisher making anything except bibles in tiny little print on ultra-thin paper?

The Old Fhart
07-08-2005, 00:10
I had 23 novels (including Moby Dick, Don Quixote, etc.), the Bible, plus the A.T. Databook on my 11oz. computer which I carried on my thru hike. It ran on 2 AA batteries and I could resize the fonts to read it with my glasses off. Google "Project Gutenberg" for free classic novels or Olivetree.com for free versions of the Bible in electronic form.

Tramper Al
07-08-2005, 10:22
Little Frog,

I have been using the Dover Thrift editions of classic books for years.
See if this link (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0486406547/qid=1120832186/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/104-1390888-1881545?v=glance&s=books) works. Basically, you can go to amazon and search "dover thrift".

These are very lightweight, very inexpensive editions of some of the best books ever written. There are also many collections of short stories and poetry. At this weight, I think you won't mind carrying one or two, and they will ship ahead cheaply in a mail drop. At this price, once read, you'll be happy to give them away to others. If you can find them in your local store, I think you will like what you see.

I hope that helps . . .

TakeABreak
07-08-2005, 15:00
Tramper Al, the link works, thanks for sharing. I did the search and Amazon says they carry over 400 titles, on dover thrift.