PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Mountain Road Parking??

klpicktown
04-30-2013, 10:35
I have a few friends meeting me for a couple days on my Damascus-Carvers Gap section this summer and am wondering if there is any parking near the trail off Walnut Mountain Road crossing (is right before Mountaineer Shelter in TN)? Thanks for any info

Tennessee Viking
04-30-2013, 11:27
Walnut Mountain Road is basically a gravel road in that area. Its about 2 miles north of Mountaineer Falls Shelter. There is a small turnout immediately next to the trail. What I remember, it fits about 2 cars. Then other turnouts not too far.

I would discourage any overnight parking in between 19E and USFS 293. This is the Buck Mountain area. The whole area is known for vandalism. People have had their tires slashed after a 5 minute walk within the area. Though I have not heard of any incidents for this specific trailhead; parking overnight is highly discouraged. You might want to check with Abby's Place Hostel , its just a little tad further. Or Mountain Harbour @ 19E. Or at Kincora or Black Bear Resort at Dennis Cove.

GoldenBear
04-30-2013, 12:10
http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=10%20&sectionID=70

Walnut Road is noted fourth from the top -- note that this site lists parking places in the order that a SOBO would use them.
Also note the VERY clear warning about parking there!!

klpicktown
04-30-2013, 14:35
Thanks for the resource! guess we will be rethinking that plan

Alleghanian Orogeny
05-01-2013, 09:09
I was recently advised of parking available for a modest fee at Mountain Harbour Inn and Hostel. Actually, my inquiry was related to overnighting in a small popup camper and the fee quote from the operators was entirely reasonable. I'd suggest phoning or emailing them to see about overnight parking.

AO