PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Elk Garden

Bonepile2
04-30-2013, 12:46
I'm planning a section hike on the AT around the Mt. Rogers area. Thinking of parking at Elk Garden, but seem to remember reports of vehicle vandalism there. Anybody know?

bigcranky
04-30-2013, 12:56
There have been reports of vandalism and even stolen vehicles. Not sure about recent reports. I usually park in the state park - costs a couple of bucks but safer.

Captain Skivvies
04-30-2013, 16:42
We camped just passed the parking lot last summer. Several cars were left there overnight without incident. (there when we came there when we left) but there have been reports on this forum of incidents in the past

moldy
05-04-2013, 13:42
I did not have any problems there at, this year or last. This is a good spot for a box of trail magic. Carry it about a hlaf mile North of the parking lot.

Appbrookie
05-12-2013, 21:17
I live within an hour of Elk Garden, I inquired at the Mt Rogers NRA Head Qtrs about problems here, was told that they had a a lot of problems a couple of years ago, but lately very few/no problems. Hopefully the good run continues.

bigcranky
05-13-2013, 07:38
I live within an hour of Elk Garden, I inquired at the Mt Rogers NRA Head Qtrs about problems here, was told that they had a a lot of problems a couple of years ago, but lately very few/no problems. Hopefully the good run continues.

Glad to hear that, thanks for the update.