PDA

View Full Version : pizza and pasta

Gorgiewave
04-30-2013, 14:02
Hello ladies and gents of whiteblaze,

I'm heading off tomorrow for four days of hiking in Madrid, Spain. I'm staying in a hostel every night and will have breakfast there, but I need to take the rest of my food with me. I was thinking of making a pizza and a tub of pasta with garlic, onion and cold meat. Will these things keep for the four days? I have no refrigeration, no way of cooking on the trail and I don't know how to dehydrate the food.

Can I eat it? Is there a simple way to dehydrate the food (I don't have any machines or anything other than a normal oven, hobs, grill and fridge and freezer).

I know I should have thought of this before, but my girlfriend has kind of arranged it without telling me.

imscotty
04-30-2013, 16:20
Gorglewave, Given the short time you have to get ready at this point I would be shooting for no-cook meals myself. Don't forget you cannot bring fuel canisters on the plane and perhaps don't want to be hunting for one once you get to Spain.

There are lots of no-cook meal ideas here on Whiteblaze and elsewhere. If you are hiking from town to town and hostel to hostel every night why not have both breakfast and dinner on the town? For lunch I would buy and carry just one day’s supply of the local cheeses, cured meats, bread and wine and restock at the next town. You could travel light and sample the local delicacies as you go. Sounds like fun to me.

Gorgiewave
04-30-2013, 16:53
Thanks for the answer, imscotty. I live here in Madrid and the idea is to try to separate us as much as possible from the comfort of having stores and being able to travel light. We'd camp, but in Spain it's illegal to camp out in most places, so we need to be in a hotel.

I've made pasta for tomorrow and I've packed a lot of cereal bars, breakfast cereal (to eat without milk) and sandwiches with cured meat and cheese. I'll try to have a big breakfast to cut down on how much I need to carry.

I'm less worried about going to the AT in August, because I'll have a stove and be able to carry dried foods.

imscotty
04-30-2013, 17:11
Oh, I see Gorglewave. It is a good idea to get some practice before you start your AT hike. Enjoy yourself tomorrow, you will quickly learn what works for you and what does not.