PDA

View Full Version : High Sierra Sniveller?

Water Rat
04-30-2013, 15:28
I am looking to switch from a sleeping bag to a quilt. I really like the looks of the Jacks R Better High Sierra Sniveller. Has anyone out there tried one? If so, what would you list as the pros and cons for this quilt.

Thank you!

jeffmeh
04-30-2013, 17:23
I don't have one, but Jacks R Better has a great reputation. I have used a Warbonnet Mamba and was very pleased with it. The best value out there at this point seems to be the RevX from Enlightened Equipment. It's worth comparison shopping.

As far as pros and cons, most of the discussions focus around bag vs. quilt. If you are convinced about the quilt (as I am), your decisions are around whether you want one where you can fully open the footbox, and what kind of temperature rating you want.

My son did his entire thru, starting in February, with the 20F Mamba (long, wide), and with good insulating clothing said he had a couple of uncomfortable nights early on. He had no problem using it in warmer temperatures by regulating the venting, even on some pretty hot nights, but he finished in June so never hit summer in the southern or middle states.

Water Rat
04-30-2013, 17:44
Thanks for your input! I do have my eye on the RevX, as well. :)

I figured it couldn't hurt to ask if anyone has had any experience with this particular quilt. I've been slowly doing my research on the quilts that interest me and have not seen a lot of user reviews on the High Sierra Sniveller.

I sleep cold, so I definitely am looking for a warmer quilt. I need to be able to fully open the footbox. Yes, I am ready to convert to a quilt for the majority of the year. I don't find sleeping bags to be as comfortable as I once found them to be.

bear bag hanger
05-01-2013, 08:14
I've been using a Sierra Sniveller for quite a while. I use two of them, one as a top quilt and the seconded as a under quilt below my hammock. Before they came out with the Snivellers, I used a JRB Nest with a Hennessy Hammock since about 2001? Did a thru hike in 2004 with the JRB Nest. I've been very happy with them and would recommend them to anyone. The High Sierra has a bit more loft and is a little bit heavier than the standard one. I've been warm down to 20 degrees with the standard snivellers, would probably be able to go much colder with the thicker High Sierra, but don't really like hiking in the cold that much, so the standard one works fine for me. One of the things I like about the Sniveller is the head hole so you can use it as a very warm poncho in the morning before you set out for the days hike.

Water Rat
05-04-2013, 11:08
I've been using a Sierra Sniveller for quite a while. I use two of them, one as a top quilt and the seconded as a under quilt below my hammock. Before they came out with the Snivellers, I used a JRB Nest with a Hennessy Hammock since about 2001? Did a thru hike in 2004 with the JRB Nest. I've been very happy with them and would recommend them to anyone. The High Sierra has a bit more loft and is a little bit heavier than the standard one. I've been warm down to 20 degrees with the standard snivellers, would probably be able to go much colder with the thicker High Sierra, but don't really like hiking in the cold that much, so the standard one works fine for me. One of the things I like about the Sniveller is the head hole so you can use it as a very warm poncho in the morning before you set out for the days hike.

Thanks, Bear! It is definitely helpful for me to hear about the JRB line of quilts. I hadn't even thought about the fact that the Sniveller can be used as a poncho. I'd better put that down as a "pro" for the High Sierra Sniveller. Yes, it is a bit heavier than the Sierra Sniveller... But, I do sleep cold. For me - It is so much easier to cool off, and regulate the temp (by kicking covers off), than it is to try and get warm in a bag that is not quite warm enough for me. I also like to hang out in the high desert, where temps can drop by 40+ degrees at night. Warm hiking during the day, but a tad chilly at night.

wcgornto
05-04-2013, 11:21
I have a High Sierra Sniveller that's going with me to the High Sierra this year for a JMT hike. This will be its first trip.

Water Rat
05-04-2013, 11:26
I have a High Sierra Sniveller that's going with me to the High Sierra this year for a JMT hike. This will be its first trip.

If you don't mind my asking... What was the thing that stood out - for you - about the High Sierra Sniveller? What made you decide to go with this quilt? This is my first venture into the world of quilts, and there are many good ones to choose from. I really like the design, as well as the warmth of the HSS. I have also heard nothing but wonderful things about Jacks R Better quilts.

Oh, and congratulations on your choice! I hope you have a wonderful hike!

Dogwood
05-07-2013, 23:24
I do have my eye on the RevX, as well.

EE Prodigy 50* on order. Nice to have a 30*+ rated quilt without the permanently closed footbox so it can lay flat or be used in other ways.