PDA

View Full Version : Peeing in the night

Gorgiewave
04-30-2013, 16:33
I am generally of a nervous disposition and usually have to get up several times in the night to pee. I'd really prefer to avoid having to get up and out the tent, because with all the rigmarole, I'd probably end up not getting back to sleep. Is there some kind of bottle or some way to pee inside the tent (I'm a man...). I know old folks in hospital can get something so they don't have to get up all the time.

Rocket Jones
04-30-2013, 16:39
Use an empty drink bottle (gatoraid, etc). Mine is wide-mouth because it's easier to deal with in the dark, and is shaped completely differently than my water bottles.

Kookork
04-30-2013, 16:40
I always pee in the bottle during the night. It is too difficult and inconvenient to get out of the tent in the middle of the night. any large mouth larger than 700 cc plastic bottle do the job for me.

Is this bottle the same bottle that I may carry water in it during the day? I pass answering it.:D

Gorgiewave
04-30-2013, 16:46
Thanks a lot for the answers. A normal plastic bottle with a wide opening is the best plan.

redseal
04-30-2013, 16:58
A gatorade bottle is your friend :-)

moytoy
04-30-2013, 16:59
I use a Gatoraid bottle to pee in and leave the G/A label on it. I use a power aid bottle to drink from and strip the label and label it PEE bottle with a magic marker. Never had a problem with anybody taking my water bottle.

moytoy
04-30-2013, 17:00
sp Gatorade

Gorgiewave
04-30-2013, 17:04
Gatorade it will be, then. I last saw a Gatorade bottle in 1991, on my last visit to the US (Maine and Florida).

Coffee
04-30-2013, 17:38
Try a 20 ounce Gatorade bottle. Drink the contents, rinse it out, and then do something to make it obvious that it is not a drinking bottle in the dark. Duct tape works pretty well since the feel of it is very different from a plastic bottle in the dark.

illabelle
04-30-2013, 18:35
I use a Gatoraid bottle to pee in and leave the G/A label on it. I use a power aid bottle to drink from and strip the label and label it PEE bottle with a magic marker. Never had a problem with anybody taking my water bottle.

That's pretty clever and very funny! Just hope you never get confused...

moytoy
04-30-2013, 19:20
That's pretty clever and very funny! Just hope you never get confused...
Never have confused the two that I know of. :)

Old Hiker
04-30-2013, 19:31
Carried two 12 (?) oz powerade bottles. Only had those in my tent with me, so I knew what they were. I have 16 oz bottles for water. The first 15-20 days, I was filling up both bottles at night. My brother, the nurse, was concerned enough with the volume that he asked his Dr bosses about it. Turns out, combined with high-intake and a LOT of exercise, I was producing and getting rid of a LOT of waste. It got to only one bottle after the first 30 days or so.

I STRONGLY recommend NOT doing the bottle thing with a hammock. Very dangerous, very prone to spillage. :eek:

WingedMonkey
04-30-2013, 19:42
You folks must have small...bladders.

I don't trust anything smaller than a wide mouth quart Nalgene.

;)

moytoy
04-30-2013, 19:46
Carried two 12 (?) oz powerade bottles. Only had those in my tent with me, so I knew what they were. I have 16 oz bottles for water. The first 15-20 days, I was filling up both bottles at night. My brother, the nurse, was concerned enough with the volume that he asked his Dr bosses about it. Turns out, combined with high-intake and a LOT of exercise, I was producing and getting rid of a LOT of waste. It got to only one bottle after the first 30 days or so.

I STRONGLY recommend NOT doing the bottle thing with a hammock. Very dangerous, very prone to spillage. :eek:
You bring up a good point but I use a single 32 oz bottle and usually fill it about 3/4 full. I never want to completely fill a bottle. When it gets too close to the top I get real uncomfortable if you know what I mean.

moytoy
04-30-2013, 19:51
You bring up a good point but I use a single 32 oz bottle and usually fill it about 3/4 full. I never want to completely fill a bottle. When it gets too close to the top I get real uncomfortable if you know what I mean.
I will add that 3/4 full is after going twice. I drink lots of water before going to sleep at night. If I don't my legs can cramp during the night.

T.S.Kobzol
04-30-2013, 19:59
Yeah. I use an old, retired Nalgene bottle. I put a hockey tape band around the middle so that it is clear even in the night that this is the 'urinaid' bottle. On productive nights I also go about 3/4 full. You want to allow enough space to be able to tip it and not dip it.

It is especially handy now that I sleep as much in a hammock as in a tent. Getting out of a hammock to go and pee is a major PIA. ;-)

Lone Wolf
04-30-2013, 20:56
I am generally of a nervous disposition and usually have to get up several times in the night to pee. I'd really prefer to avoid having to get up and out the tent, because with all the rigmarole, I'd probably end up not getting back to sleep. Is there some kind of bottle or some way to pee inside the tent (I'm a man...). I know old folks in hospital can get something so they don't have to get up all the time.

Depends.............

rusty bumper
04-30-2013, 21:45
I'm very careful at night not to drink too much water after taking my last "trip to the woods". However, there are times when that hasn't worked out too well, and I've had to relieve myself before sunrise. I'm not real keen on having to climb out of my bag and tent and head outside, so I discovered in desperation one night that a zip-lock freezer bag works out pretty well in an emergency. I use a quart bag with the slide closure since they seal up very well without much effort. I keep it in the vestibule outside the tent, and after use, it goes back to the vestibule. You've gotta be pretty careful during use, but so far so good! I dump it in the morning, rinse it out during the day at a stream crossing, and carry it in an outside mesh pocket in my pack. After using it for a while, I pitch it and start using a new one. It weighs next to nothing and takes up no pack space.

maybe clem
04-30-2013, 23:19
If it's likely to freeze overnight don't leave the pee bottle outside or you'll be stuck carrying around a bottle of frozen pee the next day until it melts and you can dump it.

rocketsocks
05-01-2013, 01:54
21394"You go boy"....Nuff said :)

wcgornto
05-01-2013, 03:08
Double zip gallon zip loc

springerfever
05-01-2013, 06:03
If it's likely to freeze overnight don't leave the pee bottle outside or you'll be stuck carrying around a bottle of frozen pee the next day until it melts and you can dump it.

Had not even considered that happening. I leave my bottle in the vestibule and never had that problem. I wonder what the freezing point is ? Probalby depend on the salinity. Anyway this is what I have been using for the past few years and it works great.

http://www.rei.com/product/670588/nalgene-wide-mouth-cantene-32-fl-oz?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-670588&mr:referralID=0eca760e-b245-11e2-9389-001b2166c62d

T.S.Kobzol
05-01-2013, 07:44
I'd also like to add to to this lovely discussion that the Nalgene wide mouth bottle is a good idea because you do need some clearance for the air to go in and out of the bottle while you pee. In my case I found that if the opening is a little too tight then the 'business' doesn't go a well as it should.

bigcranky
05-01-2013, 08:04
Let me add that as an old guy who does get up a couple of times to answer the call of nature, I rarely have any trouble getting back to sleep. It's actually kinda cool to walk out of the tent or hammock, and see all the stars, or the strong moonlight. It can be cold in the winter, of course, but that just makes the sleeping bag feel all the better. No way to mix up bottles if you don't pee in any of them :)

louisb
05-01-2013, 10:24
In a hammock you just lean to one side and shoot but make sure your tarp or shoes are not in the line of fire. :D

--louis

MDSection12
05-01-2013, 11:04
In a hammock you just lean to one side and shoot but make sure your tarp or shoes are not in the line of fire. :D

--louis

I was just gonna post this. It takes a little maneuvering, but I have been able to relieve myself while laying in the hammock many times. Usually I just get up, as I kind of enjoy a little midnight wander, but sometimes I'm just lazy.

daddytwosticks
05-01-2013, 15:53
I'd just rather get up in the night and go off in the woods to pee. Trying to pee into a bottle while in my bag on the top loft level of an AT shelter will result in a very bad experience...especially if the portion of the shelter immediatley below me is occupied. :)

T.S.Kobzol
05-01-2013, 18:05
I wouldn't do it in a shelter with others. That is a little weird.

Although this entire topic I a little off the charts. Lol.

I'd just rather get up in the night and go off in the woods to pee. Trying to pee into a bottle while in my bag on the top loft level of an AT shelter will result in a very bad experience...especially if the portion of the shelter immediatley below me is occupied. :)

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

Del Q
05-01-2013, 20:08
RamblingBladder ---------I am sorry, Hiker

Agree 100%

Duct tape, small amount

I carry 3

Pee

Booze

gatorade or whatever

Works for me...............a close friend who joins me for a few days every Fall who had prostrate cancer, shared that this was the BEST suggestion I had for crucial gear to carry

A Pee Bottle............speaking of which, is that trademarked?

Tuckahoe
05-01-2013, 20:44
This thread scares me. Maybe it has to do with memories of being a 8 year old on a road trip having to pee... mom expected me to use a Dr Pepper can, while in the backseat of the car. I am quite happy to get up, out of my tent, and go find a tree to go pee all over. This is one area where I am happy to leave a trace

T.S.Kobzol
05-01-2013, 21:11
RamblingBladder ---------I am sorry, Hiker

Agree 100%

Duct tape, small amount

I carry 3

Pee

Booze

gatorade or whatever

Works for me...............a close friend who joins me for a few days every Fall who had prostrate cancer, shared that this was the BEST suggestion I had for crucial gear to carry

A Pee Bottle............speaking of which, is that trademarked?

My bottle has the words "YOU'RE IN!" written on the yellow hockey tape taped around it.

WingedMonkey
05-01-2013, 21:27
There are so many variables as to rather or not I will or can use the bottle.

Some of my tents I can stand up in front of the door and clear the vestibule, some I can't. One of my tents (that I love to hate) I can't even get in and out without crawling in backwards, It's so tight I don't I could even sit up enough to use it, I can't even change shirts in that sucker.

Cold weather doesn't bother me enough to not get out and aim for a tree, pouring rain and I mean pouring does.

Here in South Florida mosquitoes are bad enough that you can't even open a screen door on the tent 11 1/2 months of the year from right before sunset until about an two hours after sunset. Doing so will fill the tent with the suckers. Aiming for the bushes in such skeeter clouds will acquire at least one bite in a place you can't itch in public.

Nice to have the option when needed.

:sun

HikerMom58
05-01-2013, 21:36
There are so many variables as to rather or not I will or can use the bottle.

Some of my tents I can stand up in front of the door and clear the vestibule, some I can't. One of my tents (that I love to hate) I can't even get in and out without crawling in backwards, It's so tight I don't I could even sit up enough to use it, I can't even change shirts in that sucker.

Cold weather doesn't bother me enough to not get out and aim for a tree, pouring rain and I mean pouring does.

Here in South Florida mosquitoes are bad enough that you can't even open a screen door on the tent 11 1/2 months of the year from right before sunset until about an two hours after sunset. Doing so will fill the tent with the suckers. Aiming for the bushes in such skeeter clouds will acquire at least one bite in a place you can't itch in public.

Nice to have the option when needed.

:sun

Ha Ha!! That's a funny word picture you just painted WM. I like the one where you are crawling in your tent backwards... LOL!! The skeeters in FL sound just like the clouds of those blood suckers we used to fight off in N.H.

jeffmeh
05-01-2013, 21:58
I get out of the tent if needed, but don't necessarily take too many steps from it, lol.

Now, wide-mouth gatorade bottles were extremely useful when we were making the 24-hour drive to FL for spring break, back in the dark ages when I was in college.

Invisible Man
05-01-2013, 22:45
Try a 20 ounce Gatorade bottle. Drink the contents, rinse it out, and then do something to make it obvious that it is not a drinking bottle in the dark.

Why rinse it? It wont make it taste better.

If I were desperate, a 1 quart Gatorade or powerade bottle would be the way to go. Cut notches in the lid and the neck of the bottle to mark it. Notches are more discrete and easy to tell by feel. I often drink during the night and need to be certain which is which.

Still, unless it's a blizzard outside... I am far too scared of overfills or spills. I opt for the five staggered steps outside.

pelenaka
05-01-2013, 23:45
Not a UL or how is the term for fugal gear, dirtbagging but this option doesn't require the hiker to even wake up let alone reach for a bottle. It does require that the backpacker be male.
Condom cath & foley bag set up.
No mistaking that set up for drinking water.

WILLIAM HAYES
05-02-2013, 00:28
I kinda of semi sit on the edge of my hammock and piss in a gatorade bottle I sleep under a top quilt so its not a big deal to roll out from underneath it and sit on the side of the hammock

WingedMonkey
05-02-2013, 07:46
Not a UL or how is the term for fugal gear, dirtbagging but this option doesn't require the hiker to even wake up let alone reach for a bottle. It does require that the backpacker be male.
Condom cath & foley bag set up.
No mistaking that set up for drinking water.

Tried that option as an experiment after learning of them from my hospice work, putting them on others.

Extremely uncomfortable, I'd have to be under hospice care to ever use one again.

max patch
05-02-2013, 08:57
Don't ever go backpacking with R Kelly.

magic_game03
05-02-2013, 10:13
Ugggh. I think I just threw up in my mouth. Just thinking about this topic is making me gag. I can't imagine anything keeping me from just going out side and peeing. Not a Georgia downpour nor Maine mosquitoes, not rime ice or hoar frost, not even if I were three layers deep in a warm mummy bag snowed-in in a sub-zero mountain-top snow cave would I think twice. Not in my bag.

Astro
05-02-2013, 11:01
Ha Ha!! That's a funny word picture you just painted WM. I like the one where you are crawling in your tent backwards... LOL!! The skeeters in FL sound just like the clouds of those blood suckers we used to fight off in N.H.

Yeah, but in South FL you do not get the cold weather to kill them off, so you have to put with it a lot more of the year. :(

yaduck9
05-02-2013, 13:03
Thanks a lot for the answers. A normal plastic bottle with a wide opening is the best plan.

Another good reason to use a bladder rather then a bottle, for drinking water............:-?

i apologise for the thread drift....:o

max patch
05-02-2013, 13:13
Nobody carries a "pee bottle".

Those are mastabatory aids.

hikerboy57
05-02-2013, 13:34
Another good reason to use a bladder rather then a bottle, for drinking water............:-?

i apologise for the thread drift....:o
try peeing into a bottle in an enclosed space, and youll probably conclude stepping outside your tent is a heck of a out easier.
what kind of bottle do you contemplate using for crapping in your tent?

yaduck9
05-02-2013, 13:42
try peeing into a bottle in an enclosed space, and youll probably conclude stepping outside your tent is a heck of a out easier.
what kind of bottle do you contemplate using for crapping in your tent?

yes, i have, no, i disagree, and no, that thought never crossed my mind ( thankfully )

hikerboy57
05-02-2013, 13:45
yes, i have, no, i disagree, and no, that thought never crossed my mind ( thankfully )

do you use the kneeling method or sidesaddle?

yaduck9
05-02-2013, 13:48
do you use the kneeling method or sidesaddle?

your a funny guy

HikerMom58
05-02-2013, 13:50
your a funny guy

He is that yaduck & I'm callin TMI!! Good call! ;)

hikerboy57
05-02-2013, 13:52
your a funny guy
whatever works for you, im good with.
personally i didnt find it to be a big deal, even when it was cold and rainy.
either way, id rather pee in a bottle or outside my tent. definitely beats peeing at home.
its all good.

MDSection12
05-02-2013, 13:54
your a funny guy

I think he was serious... In a tight space, like a tent, those are your options.

yaduck9
05-02-2013, 13:55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWINtUCshxY

jac115
05-02-2013, 13:56
Good advice, sounds good to me and I will make use of it. A friend and I are planning a 2014 thru-hike and I will turn 71 on the AT. Thanks. Andy

max patch
05-02-2013, 17:44
Use a floorless tent and just let it rip.

Another Kevin
05-02-2013, 18:05
Use a floorless tent and just let it rip.

Back in the day, a lot of tent floors came with a drawcord opening or semicircular zip in the floor (http://books.google.com/books?id=4uUDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA66&lpg=PA66&dq=tent+cookhole&source=bl&ots=R0L-W8fWjt&sig=b9iaRAfnp818Rq49Gp9Y9O5jtWM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=C-GCUZbuEdLi4AOBpYHYDw&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=tent%20cookhole&f=false) so that you could either set up a stove off the tent floor (many manufacturers used the term 'cookhole' - but doing so risks asphyxiation and bear visits) or else dig a cathole (and some manufacturers used another term, 'relief hole'). So the idea of a cathole (or more likely a snow hole) under the tent is not a new one. "Just let it rip" - I don't want to be putting the tent back in my pack after the outside of the tent floor is all wet with pee, thank you very much.

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 06:56
Back in the day, a lot of tent floors came with a drawcord opening or semicircular zip in the floor (http://books.google.com/books?id=4uUDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA66&lpg=PA66&dq=tent+cookhole&source=bl&ots=R0L-W8fWjt&sig=b9iaRAfnp818Rq49Gp9Y9O5jtWM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=C-GCUZbuEdLi4AOBpYHYDw&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=tent%20cookhole&f=false) so that you could either set up a stove off the tent floor (many manufacturers used the term 'cookhole' - but doing so risks asphyxiation and bear visits) or else dig a cathole (and some manufacturers used another term, 'relief hole'). So the idea of a cathole (or more likely a snow hole) under the tent is not a new one. "Just let it rip" - I don't want to be putting the tent back in my pack after the outside of the tent floor is all wet with pee, thank you very much.
I still have my Slumberjack dome tent with the famed half moon relief zipper....but it never felt right to pee under my tent...so I just peed out the door.

Meg Wilson Author
05-03-2013, 07:25
Sounds like some of you guys could learn a thing or two from the ladies. I will gift a copy of my upcoming book to the gentleman who started this thread.
While sailing on Outward Bound in Maine six years ago, I had to learn how to pee off the bow in 15-knot winds. Of course, being a woman, this meant hanging my naked butt within a swordfish's reach of the spray.
In my upcoming book, WANDER WOMEN: What Ten Thru-Hikers Taught One Angel about Pleasure, Pain, and Pink-Blazing, the ladies I followed discuss the triumph of peeing with a full pack on - without sprinkling their precious undergarment.
Sneak preview of the book at Trail Days this year, along with a handful of Wander Women. Hope to see some of you guys there! Meanwhile, follow my blog for more about these amazing females, all members of the class of 2012!
www.megwilsonauthor.com/blog (http://www.megwilsonauthor.com/blog) I will have postcards available to self-address so I can let you know when the book is published.

mrcoffeect
05-03-2013, 07:29
Just wear some huggies pull-ups to bed. your a big boy now.

Capt Nat
05-03-2013, 07:40
This is to help our esteemed Mr. HB.... Set the bottle on the other side of the tent and aim at it, why not make it fun!

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 07:48
Sounds like some of you guys could learn a thing or two from the ladies. I will gift a copy of my upcoming book to the gentleman who started this thread.
While sailing on Outward Bound in Maine six years ago, I had to learn how to pee off the bow in 15-knot winds. Of course, being a woman, this meant hanging my naked butt within a swordfish's reach of the spray.
In my upcoming book, WANDER WOMEN: What Ten Thru-Hikers Taught One Angel about Pleasure, Pain, and Pink-Blazing, the ladies I followed discuss the triumph of peeing with a full pack on - without sprinkling their precious undergarment.
Sneak preview of the book at Trail Days this year, along with a handful of Wander Women. Hope to see some of you guys there! Meanwhile, follow my blog for more about these amazing females, all members of the class of 2012!
www.megwilsonauthor.com/blog (http://www.megwilsonauthor.com/blog) I will have postcards available to self-address so I can let you know when the book is published.21435 I'm sure I've been doin it wrong for fifty years. Congrats on the new book, sounds.....interesting.

MuddyWaters
05-03-2013, 08:47

;)

not small bladders, just large prostates.

WingedMonkey
05-03-2013, 09:29

I can understand that. My father has been dealing with prostate cancer, he carries a bottle or jar everywhere.

daddytwosticks
05-03-2013, 15:43
Now for another thread splitter...what about pooping in the night? :)

T.S.Kobzol
05-03-2013, 16:23
never had the need or pleasure

Kookork
05-03-2013, 17:41

You mean a Poo canister or something?:rolleyes:, I am going to pass this one but thanks for the suggestion:banana.

Tuckahoe
05-03-2013, 17:43
And in the immortal words of LW... "it's just pissing!" :D

maybe clem
05-03-2013, 18:31
Does the thread title make anyone else think of the song, "Strangers In The Night?"

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 18:48
Does the thread title make anyone else think of the song, "Strangers In The Night?"well yes it do...hey now!

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 18:49
Now for another thread splitter...what about pooping in the night? :)In the night....all night.

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 18:50
I can understand that. My father has been dealing with prostate cancer, he carries a bottle or jar everywhere.Sorry to hear that WM....I can relate.

HeartFire
05-03-2013, 21:48
A quart size ziplock bags works fine for women - just squat on your knees, hold the bag open between your legs and go - zip up the bag, place it outside the door. I have never had an accident in the tent with this method.

SwissGuy
05-04-2013, 07:48
I was tent bound for nearly 3 days due to a huge storm system a few years ago, going outside even for a moment meant everything was going to get very wet, very quickly, and it was already rather cold due to elevation... So I unfortunately had to turn my rather small vestibule into a latrine. Dug a 5x5x12in hole in the ground and used it for all my necessities. Would throw another layer of dirt over it every use, but still, was a very smelly 3 days. Collected water using the ventilation on my fly, just opened it and held a bottle up for 5min or so.

But normally at night I use a spare 1gal ziplock... Haven't busted one open yet, and I pray that I won't.

And I'm not saying I've done this of course ;), but a 1gal ziploc full of warm fluid really does keep your feet warm on a cold night.

FatHead64
05-04-2013, 08:03
And in the immortal words of LW... "it's just pissing!" :D

That's better than giving him the opportunity to say "It's just missin'....."

Old Hiker
05-04-2013, 08:09
Does the thread title make anyone else think of the song, "Strangers In The Night?"

RIGHT before I read your post, I thought of that !!

How about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyQVjGdJ60g esp. for us with the enlarged prostates?

As for the previous pooping question: not until after my A.M. coffee, 2 miles up the Trail.

Capt Nat
05-04-2013, 10:25
Poop? Use a slingshot!

max patch
05-04-2013, 12:03
Here's some hikers talking about this. Funny video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I03UmJbK0lA#!

atmilkman
05-04-2013, 12:11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I03UmJbK0lA#!
That is pretty good.

Old Hiker
05-04-2013, 14:54
Poop? Use a slingshot!

Make sure your tent flap is open.

QiWiz
05-04-2013, 16:57

;)

I have personally (on rare occasions) exceeded two liters. My pee bottle now is a 3-liter container salvaged from a coffee shop coffee carton bladder. Weighs about the same as a platy or Evernew but has a wide mouth like a Gatorade. It can also serve as a backup water container (once rinsed out) should I need it.

QiWiz
05-04-2013, 17:02
You mean a Poo canister or something?:rolleyes:, I am going to pass this one but thanks for the suggestion:banana.

You can get a WAG bag that will allow you to (carefully) poo in your shelter without leaving it. I routinely bring WAG bags on winter trips when ground is frozen and there is no snow cover to thaw it so that a cathole can be dug. I have used one successfully inside my shelter as a test. Just sayin' it can be done, not that it would be my first choice.

Gorgiewave
05-04-2013, 17:16
I hadn't expected this thread to run to four pages. People need to unburden themselves I guess.

rocketsocks
05-04-2013, 18:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I03UmJbK0lA#!I totally just shipped myself...very funny:D

Hairbear
05-04-2013, 19:26

--louisThis ,only be careful last time the wind blew the saddle bag on my ridge runner up at the worst moment,resulting in an indoor pool in the saddle bag.

T.S.Kobzol
05-04-2013, 19:57
For the past year I carried a wag bag to sea kayaking camping spots yet I managed to remain a wag bag virgin. One day I will pass this frontier...

You can get a WAG bag that will allow you to (carefully) poo in your shelter without leaving it. I routinely bring WAG bags on winter trips when ground is frozen and there is no snow cover to thaw it so that a cathole can be dug. I have used one successfully inside my shelter as a test. Just sayin' it can be done, not that it would be my first choice.

pgustaf249
05-04-2013, 23:18
If you have confidence in the seal on the cap of your Gatorade bottle, it can help keep you warm inside your sleeping bag or under your top quilt!

Capt Nat
05-05-2013, 10:50
If you have confidence in the seal on the cap of your Gatorade bottle, it can help keep you warm inside your sleeping bag or under your top quilt!

I have really really thought about that a couple of times but just don't have the courage...

pgustaf249
05-05-2013, 22:26
I have really really thought about that a couple of times but just don't have the courage...

Must say that I haven't tried it yet either. In fact, my first experience of taking a Gatorade bottle into my hammock with me will likely come on an overnight next month.

pgustaf249
05-05-2013, 22:52
It's not a tent/hammock story but it relates. An acquaintance of mine used to drive from Amarillo to Houston on a regular basis in the 60s and 70s. In order to make good time he would put a cooler on the front passenger seat, fit himself with an external catheter, toss the bag on the floorboard, stop only at full-serve gas stations and never get out of he car until he got to Houston. I guess he never had to poop.

HankHill
05-10-2013, 11:07
It's not a tent/hammock story but it relates. An acquaintance of mine used to drive from Amarillo to Houston on a regular basis in the 60s and 70s. In order to make good time he would put a cooler on the front passenger seat, fit himself with an external catheter, toss the bag on the floorboard, stop only at full-serve gas stations and never get out of he car until he got to Houston. I guess he never had to poop.

Hilarious!

Cookerhiker
05-10-2013, 12:07
Too much of a hassle - if I have to go, I leave the tent. Sure it's a nuisance in some ways but it's quick and I usually get back to sleep soon. Always make a point to enjoy the night stars & moon.

No one's mentioned that along the AT corridor in hot weather, snakes are out at night hunting so you need to shine your light where you're stepping. Yes, it has happened that a hiker out for the call of nature was bitten by a copperhead. And K1YPP related in his book Three Hundred Zeroes how some hikers approaching a shelter in the dark almost stepped on a rattlesnake.

Yes, that's my understanding of why guys need to go more often (with less results per shot) as they get older.

I was tent bound for nearly 3 days due to a huge storm system a few years ago, going outside even for a moment meant everything was going to get very wet, very quickly, and it was already rather cold due to elevation...

On my Colorado Trail thruhike in '11, I awoke in the middle of the night during a heavy downpour but really needed to go. I took off all my clothes and exited the tent naked to do my business, figuring my body would dry faster back in the tent than "dry" clothes which would have gotten soaked. It worked.

Theosus
05-12-2013, 09:07

I really wish the hammock makers would have a velcro flap in the bottom center of the hammock... that would solve a lot of problems, unless it's raining and you put your gear under you.