PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle services: Frederick MD to Harpers Ferry

Praha4
04-30-2013, 17:39
A couple questions which hopefully someone in that area can answer:

a. Is Frederick, MD the closest Greyhound bus station to Harpers Ferry, WV ?

b. Recommendations on shuttle or taxi from Frederick MD bus station to Harpers Ferry ?

any help appreciated. Another option I considered was take Greyhound to Union Station, Wash DC, catch the Amtrak daily commuter train to HF, but it only runs once a day, departure DC around 4 pm... and my bus would get in around 9 am.... didn't want to spend a day at Union Station waiting on the Amtrak. Bus fare is same to Frederick or to Wash DC from florida.....

tia

MDSection12
04-30-2013, 17:45
A couple questions which hopefully someone in that area can answer:

a. Is Frederick, MD the closest Greyhound bus station to Harpers Ferry, WV ?

b. Recommendations on shuttle or taxi from Frederick MD bus station to Harpers Ferry ?

any help appreciated. Another option I considered was take Greyhound to Union Station, Wash DC, catch the Amtrak daily commuter train to HF, but it only runs once a day, departure DC around 4 pm... and my bus would get in around 9 am.... didn't want to spend a day at Union Station waiting on the Amtrak. Bus fare is same to Frederick or to Wash DC from florida.....

tia
I'd say go the Amtrak route... Shuttle options here in Frederick are basically non-existent. Killing a few hours in DC is really easy anyway. There is a cab company here 'Yellow Cab' but I'd imagine that's a pricey fare.

When will you arrive? Depending on timing I may be able to give you a lift down there... I plan on making many trips to HF for smallmouth bass fishing this spring and summer. :)

Praha4
04-30-2013, 19:18
MDSection:

thanks for the advice ... exact travel date will hopefully be in the next week... not sure yet.. still wrapping up some stuff here.

thanks for the info, u confirmed my suspicions... I looked in the AT guide, and couldn't find any easy shuttles in that area between Frederick and HF, and I'm guessing any taxi would be expensive......

The bus arrival at Union Station, DC is 8:50 am (23H)..... the bus arrival in Frederick, MD is at 2:05 pm daily (28H) ..... same price for both trips, but they are different bus routes and transfers en route ..... Amtrak runs from Union Sta to HF daily around 4 pm, and it's cheap ticket

I will think on the options, but 5 hrs less on the bus, then the cheap amtrak ride out to HF may be how I go. appreciate the offer on the ride, but I'm leaning toward the amtrak route

wnderer
04-30-2013, 20:59
Check out the MARC train

http://mta.maryland.gov/marc-train

I don't think it runs on the weekend but during the week there is a couple of trains a day from Union Station to West Virginia and would add another option.

Pitbull410
04-30-2013, 21:10
Capital hill is only a 10 minute walk form union station in Dc, and all museums are free admission. Enjoy some site seeing in DC while you wait

Studlintsean
04-30-2013, 21:24
Also if your going south from HF consider the VRE Manassas line to Bristow Va. It's about 30 min from Bears Den. It's each morning and all afternoon from DC during the week. Also keep posted here the dates. In headed to HF in about 10 days.

Alligator
04-30-2013, 21:29
A possibility is to consider another bus line, you might be able to piece together a trip on Megabus, for instance Mobile>Atlanta>Charlotte, NC>DC. Or sub Knoxville in for Charlotte. Plus Amtrak runs out of Charlotte, may get you to DC. I find that as long as I am not waiting around at a station, I don't mind the trip as much but if you do use Megabus, you need to leave a little cushion as you are not guaranteed to get there on time and your connecting bus may leave. I left too tight a connection once and missed my bus in DC, ended up on a train to NY instead of the bus and the fare was considerably higher. At least the Megabus ticket was cheap. One of the above alternatives might get you to DC at the correct time.