PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Washington Conditions

Rasty
04-30-2013, 19:50
How are the trail conditions on Mt. Washington today? Planning a 18 mile Pinkham Notch to Mt Washington to Mt. Madison and back to Pinkham day hike loop. Would microspikes be needed now?

HikerMom58
04-30-2013, 20:26
http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/trail/nh/

Hey Rasty... don't know if this will help ya out or not.... Never mind... the info is old... Bump!!

lumberjaime
04-30-2013, 20:30
www.mountwashington.org

Incredibly detailed weather reports, info on trail conditions, avalanche warnings, and more! Enjoy your hike, that is a great loop. But, this time of year, don't expect to make your average pace. Right now they are in a "corn cycle," meaning soft, sometimes slushy snow, and plenty of running water. Also, be cautious of steep-angle snow hazards such as icefall and crevasses.

HikerMom58
04-30-2013, 20:39
http://trailsnh.com/New-Hampshire-AMC-Huts.php

Maybe this link could help as well...

Driver8
04-30-2013, 23:08
This is a good site: http://newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/

You'll want to bring spikes along, as I mentioned in my Cafe post just now. Tuckerman Ravine Trail will be closed on the headwall, so the standard approach would be the Lion Head Winter route, which is quite steep and rough but gives gorgeous views.

Rasty
04-30-2013, 23:21
This is a good site: http://newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/

You'll want to bring spikes along, as I mentioned in my Cafe post just now. Tuckerman Ravine Trail will be closed on the headwall, so the standard approach would be the Lion Head Winter route, which is quite steep and rough but gives gorgeous views.

Would the Boote Spur avoid the falling ice issues?

Feral Bill
04-30-2013, 23:25
That wold be a long, challenging day hike. You might consider returning via Boote Spur for a less daunting route, depending on conditions on site.

Rasty
04-30-2013, 23:44
That wold be a long, challenging day hike. You might consider returning via Boote Spur for a less daunting route, depending on conditions on site.

I'm estimating it will be around 13 hours. I will try to start at 5 am which should help with the monorail ice. This is starting to sound like fun. I'm comfortable doing 16 to 20 with a full pack so carrying a 14 liter day pack should be nice.

Mountain Mike
04-30-2013, 23:49
18 miles is a long day even in the summer. Strong winds on the ridge is more the norm, like 50 mph or stronger. Check the snow depth in the Great gulf for your return. Postholing through miles of snow after the long climb & traverse can be exhorting I don't want to put a damper on your plans but know bail options. Consider descending to rt via Valley Way trail if conditions deteriorate & remember there is a caretaker at RMC Cabin. Have fun but be safe! AMC site is about a week behind http://conditions.outdoors.org/search/label/New%20Hampshire but they do have a phone number for current info.

Rasty
04-30-2013, 23:52
18 miles is a long day even in the summer. Strong winds on the ridge is more the norm, like 50 mph or stronger. Check the snow depth in the Great gulf for your return. Postholing through miles of snow after the long climb & traverse can be exhorting I don't want to put a damper on your plans but know bail options. Consider descending to rt via Valley Way trail if conditions deteriorate & remember there is a caretaker at RMC Cabin. Have fun but be safe! AMC site is about a week behind http://conditions.outdoors.org/search/label/New%20Hampshire but they do have a phone number for current info.

Where is the Valley Way trail? I couldn't find it earlier on the National Geographic map.

Mountain Mike
04-30-2013, 23:55
North end of Presi Range. Most direct way to Rt 2 from Madison.

Mountain Mike
04-30-2013, 23:58
I should have said Madison Hut.

Rasty
05-01-2013, 00:03
North end of Presi Range. Most direct way to Rt 2 from Madison.

I found it on regular Topo maps. Its going straight North. Chances are this hike will happen in about 2 weeks or after June 3rd. I have to go to NH for three weeks of the next five weeks.

Rasty
05-01-2013, 00:06
Any info on the Daniel Webster trail as an bail point?

Mountain Mike
05-01-2013, 00:09
Oh, I thought it got moved up. Lower snow should be gone by June , just depend on the day & weather on ridge. This was 1st week of June in 052139021391

Mountain Mike
05-01-2013, 00:11
Never hiked it but have heard it is a popular family hike from the Dolly Cobb CS. Not to strenuous.

Rasty
05-01-2013, 00:13
Oh, I thought it got moved up. Lower snow should be gone by June , just depend on the day & weather on ridge. This was 1st week of June in 052139021391

Either May 16th or June 3rd. If June I may do as an overnight.

Rasty
05-01-2013, 00:14
Never hiked it but have heard it is a popular family hike from the Dolly Cobb CS. Not to strenuous.

Sounds like a great bail out trail off of Madison to road.

Mountain Mike
05-01-2013, 00:19
If you make it an overnight consider THe Perch (RMC Cabin) Below Mt Sam Adams2139221393

Driver8
05-01-2013, 00:25
Would the Boote Spur avoid the falling ice issues?

It would. Quite a rugged and rough trail, and longer than Lion Head by about a mile, but a beaut. I got up it just over half-way to Washington two summers ago before turning back due to leg cramps just above Split Rock. Gorgeous trail.

Personally, though, I'd recommend Ammo for the ascent. It's gorgeous with its great waterfalls. To see Tuckerman Ravine from this option, you can do the Tuckerman Crossover Trail from the Lakes of the Clouds Hut, to the Tuckerman Ravine Trail, thence to W's summit, or further to the Alpine Garden Trail, from which you can work to the summit via Lion Head Trail and T.R.T. Choose whatever route you please, of course, but just know that Ammo is, imo and that of many, a special one.

Driver8
05-01-2013, 00:35
Of course, the Pinkham Loop notion allows you to rely only on yourself for transport. Looks like the AMC Shuttle doesn't start until June 1. Maybe you could arrange a shuttle with a fellow White Blazer.

Mountain Mike
05-01-2013, 00:40
But he could do the Ammonusic & traverse of Southern pres. & back to Highland Center. Not to far from RR station & should be able to get a hitch from there.

Driver8
05-01-2013, 00:53
But he could do the Ammonusic & traverse of Southern pres. & back to Highland Center. Not to far from RR station & should be able to get a hitch from there.

If stuck with one car, based on what I've seen so far and what's available, Tuckerman being closed at the Headwall, if looking to do a loop, the one he proposes is pretty awesome, and an abbreviated one from Ammo to the Hut, tapping Monroe, up Crawford to W, then Gulfside to Jefferson, doubling back to Jewell and back to car, traipsing over for a look at Tuck's Ravine from the west if so desired, would be beauteous and fun, too.

Rasty, I know you're a strong, fit hiker, but it's important to keep in mind that the Whites are legendary for good reason - they're a lot harder than the rest of the A.T. corridor. The A.T. descent from Madison to the Great Gulf is reknowned as a knee- and ankle-crusher, and you're proposing to take it on at the end of a long, tough day with about 7000' of rocky climb. One thing the western hike has to recommend it is that the Jewell Trail is a gentle, easy descent by comparison. You lose about 2600' in about 3.2 miles. Plus, you have options - skip Jefferson if getting leg weary, for instance. Or if feeling strong, hit Clay (via its loop option, which has a great view into the Great Gulf, so I hear), or, heck, if making good time and feeling strong, add on Adams to Jefferson, then double back to Jewell.

Food for thought for what it's worth.

Chaco Taco
05-01-2013, 05:53
Yes to Microspikes and possibly still snowshoes. The woods still have a significant amount of snow. Once you get above treeline, you wont need anything more than microspikes. There are avalanche warnings for the area with quick snowmelt. Probably wont need an ice axe for Tucks depending on what you take up.
Park at Appalachia and hike up one of the many trails there. Also Crawford Path is pretty clear and easy. The snow is melting really fast so be prepared for very wet and slushy conditions. Mud season is here!

Chaco Taco
05-01-2013, 05:54
Chaco the 4000 footer club on facebook, they always have trail updates. trailsnh is another good resource.

Chaco Taco
05-01-2013, 05:55
meant to say check, not chaco

peakbagger
05-01-2013, 06:03
Conditions are changing rapidly week by week but there is something referred to the "rail" or the "monorail" you need to be familiar with. On trails hiked in the winter, the snow packs down and turns into ice over the winter. As things melt the rail is the last thing to go especially in the woods. As the snowpack drops, the rail can get 3 to 4 feet above the surrounding snow cover or ground. As it melts it becomes a mound that is curved on top. Even with traction in the aftenoon whne things soften up, it can be impossible to walk on top of the rail and if you step to the side you can sink through the remaining snow pack. In these conditions, progress is very slow. Two years ago I went down from Wildcat E to the AT junction near Carter Notch, it took me about 1-1/2 hours on what normally takes 30 minutes and I fell down and went rolling into the woods several times.

Any of the above treeline stretches are basically clear with some occasional snow patches, but in the woods its a totally different story. Last weekend I went down off of Franconia ridge on Falling Waters trail and once I dropped into the trees I was on a mix or hardpacked snow/ice and the rail wasnt even starting to form but down lower it was and even lower than that it was a choice of either the rail or postholing in spots. The folks going up hill I encoutered without traction were not happy as it was two steps forward, one step back.

I would guess the trails into the Great Gulf still have significant snow pack although they are less popular in the winter so the rail may not be an issue and then all you have to deal with is postholing. I expect you run once above treeline will go quickly but once you drop off of Madison you will encouter slow going. The Daniel Webster Scout trail is steep and rocky until its hits treeline, it does face east but I would still expect some snow pack. I actually recomend the Airline down off Madison in the spring, it has better exposure than Valley way which is sheltered in the woods and prone to hold onto snow and ice later than the airline (plus the views are better. Pine Link off of Madison is not recomended as the trailhead is out in middle of nowhere and the road to it is seasonal (it should be open but no guanrantees.).

A hint is leave as early as possible in the AM. Shoot for 5:15 AM (sleep in your car just south of Pinkham Notch. By heading out early the snow pack is still hard from the overnight and you shoudl be able to get up Lions Head and out above treeline with solid snow. Note that a trail report from this past weekend was that th Lions Head winter route was still open and crampons were recomended). Even when the summer route opens, there is still a couple of snowfields across the trail that are hairy without traction.

Chaco Taco
05-01-2013, 06:39
We are doing Crawford Path up the southern Presi's on Sunday :banana

Rasty
05-01-2013, 10:21
Which route would be better?

Clockwise
- Pinkham Notch Parking
- Tuckerman to Lionhead
- Mount Washington to Madison
- Madison Gulf Trail or Osgood trail
- Pinkham Notch Parking

Counter-Clockwise
- Pinkham Notch Parking
- Osgood Trail
- Madison to Washington
- Lionhead to Tuckerman
- Pinkham Notch Parking

Both plans with a bailout point of Mount Jefferson goingdown the Six Husbands trail to the Great Gulf Trail.

Driver8
05-01-2013, 10:48
I've not done it, but the Six Husbands Trail is legendarily difficult, so it may not be your best bailout. Clockwise, I would assess at the top of Washington and consider coming back down via Boott Spur if in doubt. I hated descending Lion Head in mid-summer, it was a knee crusher. I was, though, at the limit of my fitness, so that was probably a factor.

As to which is better, I'll leave that to others with more experience. My instinct says counter-clockwise. You can always catch a Cog ridge or Auto Road ride down from Washington if need be, and you get all those Northern Presi's in. If I were to do it CCW, I'd start at first light, maybe earlier.

Important to remember is that Mid-April to Mid-May is Big Melt time. If you're up in Manchester in a few weeks, Rasty, it will be a totally different animal than now. The monorail Peakbagger spoke of will be gone in a lot of places, minimal to negotiable in most others. Microspikes should make the trip with you, for sure, though.

Rasty
05-01-2013, 10:50
Thanks for all the info!

peakbagger
05-01-2013, 12:00
Madison Gulf trail is not to be messed with in less than ideal conditions, Osgood is a far better alternative.

MamaBear
05-01-2013, 13:21
+1, Peakbagger. I was on the Carters ("across the street" from the Presis) earlier this week, and the white blazes I saw were about 1-2 feet from the snow pack. Stepping off the already forming monorail resulted in postholing to the crotch. There's definitely still quite a bit of snow in the woods above 2500ft.

jeffmeh
05-01-2013, 13:38
Which route would be better?

Clockwise
- Pinkham Notch Parking
- Tuckerman to Lionhead
- Mount Washington to Madison
- Madison Gulf Trail or Osgood trail
- Pinkham Notch Parking

Counter-Clockwise
- Pinkham Notch Parking
- Osgood Trail
- Madison to Washington
- Lionhead to Tuckerman
- Pinkham Notch Parking

Both plans with a bailout point of Mount Jefferson goingdown the Six Husbands trail to the Great Gulf Trail.

Either route would be fine, but I always prefer the ridge traverse from north to south, so my vote would be for counter-clockwise. You will likely be too early to take the Great Gulf all the way to Spaulding Lake, given high water, but that is absolutely spectacular, being surrounded for about 270deg by the headwall. So many trails, so little time, lol.

Feral Bill
05-01-2013, 16:04
Do be careful of bail out routes. A friend and I once descended into the Great Gulf on a "trail" that was mostly a knee deep waterfall. A fast snow melt could make some trails very dangerous.

peakbagger
05-01-2013, 16:39
Six husbands and sphynx are probably a big ice flow at some point on the descent for the next month. They fill up with snow all winter and are shaded from sun. Folks havent seen ladders on a trail until they have seen the ones on six husbands. There are probably folks sking on the great gulf trail. If in doubt bail towards RT2 (north)and hitch

this is random shot I found from google and yes the ladder is vertical.

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&biw=1680&bih=935&tbm=isch&tbnid=W8p1uE3D64CJMM:&imgrefurl=http://dailey7779.blogspot.com/2010/05/steep-ing-it-up-six-husbands-trail-to.html&docid=tue4pkGqLchjIM&imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Va5g7JvEYJU/TAPwspoKPqI/AAAAAAAABMs/VHgYTHila_Y/s1600/100_6197.jpg&w=506&h=675&ei=hnyBUdAItKngA7HbgHA&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:0,s:0,i:85&iact=rc&dur=953&page=1&tbnh=183&tbnw=139&start=0&ndsp=31&tx=59&ty=73

lumberjaime
05-01-2013, 18:28
Counter-clockwise is the way to go. The descents will be much more stable, and you avoid the really gnarly downhills. To reemphasize the point that several others have made, I strongly suggest you not descend via Madison Gulf or Six Husbands. I have ascended both these trails under what I would describe as perfect conditions (peak hiking condition, blue skies, low wind, mild temps, dry ground) and they put me to the test. Both of those hikes occured during my tenure as a backcountry employee for the AMC, so I'm no stranger to the Whites. Like Huntington Ravine, the AMC trail guide says that the Six Husbands trail is not a safe route of descent. IMO, it is an even harder trail than Huntington with more objective hazards.

peakbagger- is that the ladder right above the rock you have to scramble under/through?

Rasty
05-01-2013, 20:02
Counter-clockwise is the way to go. The descents will be much more stable, and you avoid the really gnarly downhills. To reemphasize the point that several others have made, I strongly suggest you not descend via Madison Gulf or Six Husbands. I have ascended both these trails under what I would describe as perfect conditions (peak hiking condition, blue skies, low wind, mild temps, dry ground) and they put me to the test. Both of those hikes occured during my tenure as a backcountry employee for the AMC, so I'm no stranger to the Whites. Like Huntington Ravine, the AMC trail guide says that the Six Husbands trail is not a safe route of descent. IMO, it is an even harder trail than Huntington with more objective hazards.

peakbagger- is that the ladder right above the rock you have to scramble under/through?

Thanks! Two votes for counterclockwise. Hopefully the weather cooperates. I'm assuming there will be plenty of water down lower.

Chaco Taco
05-01-2013, 21:55
Thanks! Two votes for counterclockwise. Hopefully the weather cooperates. I'm assuming there will be plenty of water down lower.
Water will not be an issue for quite a while

jeffmeh
05-02-2013, 07:40

Minor amendment: [Lack of] water will not be an issue for quite a while.

Rasty
05-02-2013, 08:10

Minor amendment: [Lack of] water will not be an issue for quite a while.

So flippers and a wetsuit are the uniform of the day?

Rasty
05-03-2013, 09:14
Looks like I'm off on Monday with what is forecasted as perfect weather in the 40's at 6000'.

Feral Bill
05-03-2013, 11:18
Looks like I'm off on Monday with what is forecasted as perfect weather in the 40's at 6000'. Have fun, be safe, and let us know how it goes, please.

Rasty
05-03-2013, 15:57
Looks like I'm off on Monday with what is forecasted as perfect weather in the 40's at 6000'. Have fun, be safe, and let us know how it goes, please.

Will do! :D

jeffmeh
05-03-2013, 16:18
Looks like I'm off on Monday with what is forecasted as perfect weather in the 40's at 6000'.

Have a great experience. Incidentally, I do not put much faith in any weather forecasts up there, at least until the day prior to the hike.

Rasty
05-03-2013, 16:52

Have a great experience. Incidentally, I do not put much faith in any weather forecasts up there, at least until the day prior to the hike.

I'm packing for winter and summer.

HikerMom58
05-03-2013, 16:59
Have fun, be safe, and let us know how it goes, please.

Yes Rasty, what he said!! :D

jeffmeh
05-03-2013, 18:49
I'm packing for winter and summer.

Smart man. The Northern Presidentials is on my short list of favorite places.

peakbagger
05-04-2013, 07:11
Thats why I live here :)!

Chaco Taco
05-04-2013, 07:19
We are heading up to Crawford Notch in a couple of hours and gonna camp at Nauman tonite then walk the Southern Presi's tomorrow. Picture perfect up here today!

Chaco Taco
05-04-2013, 07:25
So flippers and a wetsuit are the uniform of the day?
Id count on walking through quite a bit of water with the rapid snow melt and some very loose wet melting snow.

Driver8
05-05-2013, 21:42
Id count on walking through quite a bit of water with the rapid snow melt and some very loose wet melting snow.

Bingo. Rasty, bring snowshoes if you can. They're a must amid the mush. Pinkham night be able to rent some out to you. Above treeline you'll be fine, but in the trees between 3ish- and 4K is a mess.

Driver8
05-05-2013, 21:45

Bingo. Rasty, bring snowshoes if you can. They're a must amid the mush. Pinkham night be able to rent some out to you. Above treeline you'll be fine, but in the trees between 3ish- and 4K is a mess. Snowshoes help a lot - mine did once I got them properly strapped in. I was in the same neck of the woods as Chaco - I liked Jackson yesterday, stayed overnight at Mitpah Spring Hut, traversed Pierce today and returned to my car via the Crawford Path. Super-slushy in that 3-4K zone.

Chaco Taco
05-05-2013, 22:00
Bingo. Rasty, bring snowshoes if you can. They're a must amid the mush. Pinkham night be able to rent some out to you. Above treeline you'll be fine, but in the trees between 3ish- and 4K is a mess. Snowshoes help a lot - mine did once I got them properly strapped in. I was in the same neck of the woods as Chaco - I liked Jackson yesterday, stayed overnight at Mitpah Spring Hut, traversed Pierce today and returned to my car via the Crawford Path. Super-slushy in that 3-4K zone.
wait did we see you???? We camped at Nauman last night.....

Driver8
05-05-2013, 23:29
wait did we see you???? We camped at Nauman last night.....

I was on Crawford Path from 12:15 or so until about 4, passed Mitpah cutoff at about 2:30 - I moved gingerly in the 1.5 snowy upper miles, even though I had snow shoes on. Picked up pace about 2800' when the snow fell apart (that was a relief!). I saw a lot of people, and I think I vaguely remember your dog.

To give you an idea of how Jackson-Pierce was yesterday evening, it was similar to the stretch between Pierce's two summits, but was slushy and unstable after a long, warm day in the sun. Postholes, sliding off the sides - I splayed out several times. Had snowshoes but, being new to them, didn't know how to secure the heel straps adequately, so they kept coming off. It was a nightmare. I survived, though, and joined AMC at Mitpah Hut on the spot. All hail the AMC and the huts, which I, for one, love! :sun

Rasty
05-06-2013, 19:55
Had to shorten my hike to be back in Manchester by 6 pm for a pop-up meeting.

Went straight up Tuckermans ravine to the summit of Washington. The ascent was really steep on the far right side of the snow/ice field. Went to the far right to avoid two crevasses.

I wanted to decend through the snow field and got about 25% down and couldn't see the upper crevasse so I retreated and decended the Lion Head trail which was very snowy going down.

There is something special about being in shorts a t-shirt, gaiters and microspikes and sliding down the snow.

Until below Lion head on the decent I only saw one person. I had the mountain to myself for much of the day.

I'll post pictures when I can.

Driver8
05-06-2013, 20:22
There is something special about being in shorts a t-shirt, gaiters and microspikes and sliding down the snow.

I swear I damn near stripped down to my skivvies both Saturday and Sunday. Went in shorts Sat with no shirt, except for summit photos, put on rain pants for butt-sliding off of Jackson over to Pierce. Turned out my shorts had shredded on the hike up Jackson, so I had to wear the rain pants over the skivvies Sunday, though I went shirtless again. Only about 50 times during the two days did the idea of a skivvies hike appeal to me. Maybe next time.

Chaco Taco
05-06-2013, 20:45
I swear I damn near stripped down to my skivvies both Saturday and Sunday. Went in shorts Sat with no shirt, except for summit photos, put on rain pants for butt-sliding off of Jackson over to Pierce. Turned out my shorts had shredded on the hike up Jackson, so I had to wear the rain pants over the skivvies Sunday, though I went shirtless again. Only about 50 times during the two days did the idea of a skivvies hike appeal to me. Maybe next time.
June 1 aint that far off:-?

Rasty
05-06-2013, 20:49
Pictures!21483214862148721488214842148521485

Driver8
05-06-2013, 21:27
Nice pics, Rasty! Here are some from Saturday. Battery ran out Sat evening and I had no charger, so no pics from Pierce or the rest of Sunday.

Mountain Mike
05-06-2013, 21:41
Great pics Rasty. Make me homesick!

rocketsocks
05-06-2013, 21:41
Real nice photo's you guy's, I gotta get up there one day...ok a few days.

gaiters, microspikes, and shorts......Nice, just like the pictures in the mags.

HikerMom58
05-07-2013, 06:29

Beautiful Rasty!!

Nice pics, Rasty! Here are some from Saturday. Battery ran out Sat evening and I had no charger, so no pics from Pierce or the rest of Sunday.

Nice ones Driver!

Great pics Rasty. Make me homesick!

It makes me homesick too!!

coach lou
05-07-2013, 07:52

Very nice fellas, Hope to do this again in June, when Rasty comes back up here!

Chaco Taco
05-07-2013, 07:57
Driver8, we passed you. I just realized it when I saw the picture of you on Pierce.

Chaco Taco
05-07-2013, 07:59
You were talking to the young woman that would not move off the trail as we passed and I feel into the posthole....

coach lou
05-07-2013, 08:15
You were talking to the young woman that would not move off the trail as we passed and I feel into the posthole....

Driver8 talking while hiking? no way, you must have saw the guy on the planet that looks just like him. Driver talking.....no no could not have been him!:D

Chaco Taco
05-07-2013, 08:16
Driver8 talking while hiking? no way, you must have saw the guy on the planet that looks just like him. Driver talking.....no no could not have been him!:D
Yep running off his trail resume to a young lady.. :)

Driver8
05-07-2013, 10:17

Oh crap! (I'd use stronger language if the board would let me, lol.) You were Posthole Guy! Worship the monorail! You really were motoring, then - the team of fellow Nauman campers I mentioned earlier was pretty fast, and they passed me about 0.3 after you did.

thought I remembered your dog from that spot - I'd had a nice chat with that lady from Mass. Sorry we took up too much space, that was my fault, not hers. Your dog is even more adorable in person.

Wish I'd known it was you, Chaco, and look forward to meeting up with you again before too long.

Chaco Taco
05-07-2013, 10:19
Oh crap! (I'd use stronger language if the board would let me, lol.) You were Posthole Guy! Worship the monorail! You really were motoring, then - the team of fellow Nauman campers I mentioned earlier was pretty fast, and they passed me about 0.3 after you did.

thought I remembered your dog from that spot - I'd had a nice chat with that lady from Mass. Sorry we took up too much space, that was my fault, not hers. Your dog is even more adorable in person.

Wish I'd known it was you, Chaco, and look forward to meeting up with you again before too long.
HAHA, yea I about threw a snowball at you when you said that to me........:)

Driver8
05-07-2013, 10:54
HAHA, yea I about threw a snowball at you when you said that to me........:)

Thanks for the laugh, Chaco. Heaven forbid, a Chaco Chuckle. Speaking of such things - man is Chocorua a beauty from Jackson and from West Pierce's southward ledge. I thought of you, having seen your registry entry that night, as I admired it.

I was the true Posthole Guy. I slid, fell, tumbled butt over teakettle, punched through, you-name-it, easily 100 times over the weekend, mostly Saturday. I was fortunate that the Hut was there and available for me. It all worked out well, thank goodness.