PDA

View Full Version : Beginning Hiker - Long Trail

Beeker3882
07-08-2005, 11:26
I'm a 23-year-old woman who is planning to hike the Long Trail (South to North) with a girlfriend of mine in August, and we are both beginning backpackers (this will be our first longer-term backpacking trip). We are both pretty physically fit, but I am nervous about the steep-sounding northern part of the trail. How difficult are the Camel's Hump and other steep climbs on the Appalachian Trail? Is it more like rock-climbing than hiking?

Also, we are planning to resupply about 4 times during the month, and are wondering how to get from the trail to town. I understand people hitch-hike quite often, but being 2 women, we are concerned about the safety of this. Any suggestions or wisdom?

Thanks so much for your input! Any other, unrelated words of wisdom are welcome, too! And thanks for running a helpful website!

LB

Tramper Al
07-08-2005, 11:35
Hi Beeker,

Is it more like rock-climbing than hiking?

It's more like hiking! Sure, there are some steep sections, but nothing coming anywhere close to being considered "technical". If you are going northbound, you'll be in great shape by the time you get to Camel's Hump and the like, one way or another.

I understand people hitch-hike quite often, but being 2 women, we are concerned about the safety of this. Any suggestions or wisdom?

In terms of getting from trail crossing to post office (and/or store) and back, I'm not sure you really have too many choices other than walking, hitchhiking or maybe taxi service. Some of the walks between trail and town are quite short, though, so good planning can go a long way. Definitely look at Manchester, Killington (P.O. or mail drops possible at Inn at Long Trail), and Johnson. Also, I have recently read that city bus service is running from Middlebury VT up through Middlebury Gap (and the LT crossing). That could make Middlebury a nice trail town without any long walk or hitch involved.

I'm not much of a hitchhiker either, but I'll bet others will come along and tell you they think it is perfectly safe.

Hope that helps, and I hope to see you on the the trail this summer . . .

DebW
07-08-2005, 11:57
I did the northern LT in 2003 with another woman. We hitched into towns several times, and in fact, that turned out to be some of the most memorable parts of our trip. People in Vermont are used to LT hikers hitching into towns, and we usually got rides within 30 minutes, always with interesting people. Don't worry about hitching - it's part of the trail experience, just use common sense and chat with the driver before you jump in the car.

The Hog
07-08-2005, 16:58
Yes, as Tramper Al says, the LT has steep sections, but no rock climbing. Still, it's an arduous trip for someone with little backpacking experience. I would concentrate on physical training (jogging, climbing stairs with a pack on, etc) and seriously reducing pack weight (see lightweight threads on this website for ideas) in the time remaining, before you start your trip. Get rid of all your cotten and be mentally prepared to get wet.

If you decide to hitchhike, hook up with a male LT hiker, or, failing that, look the car and driver over carefully before you decide to get in. Most Vermonters are great, but like everywhere, there are a few bad apples.

It's a good hike, with some wonderful views and a lot of good people. Be sure to stop at the Inn at Long Trail (Rt 4 crossing) for some cold Guiness. Enjoy, and welcome to Vermont!

Kerosene
07-09-2005, 13:21
If you're reasonably fit and aren't trying to conquer too many miles in a day, then you'll be fine. Faster hikers can do the 260+ miles in 2-3 weeks, so give yourself 3-4 weeks and enjoy. The northern section is certainly more difficult, notably for its steep climbs, roots, and flat rocks that you have to navigate. My 16-year old brother and I did the LT from north-to-south in '79. He had never backpacked before at all, and we did fine averaging about 12 miles per day with a max of 21. The challenge for us was the constant rain and sub-40 temps in August, not so much the terrain.

We didn't hitch during our hike, leaving caches in Jonesville (there used to be a store there), the Inn at Long Trail, and P.O. caches at Wallingford and Manchester Center. No one picked us up in either direction to Manchester Center, but I expect that two women would have an easier time of finding a ride if it's not raining too hard.

Use your head, don't push your limits, keep those packs light (no more than 35 pounds, and preferably less than 30!) and enjoy yourselves!

Beeker3882
07-09-2005, 16:34
Just wanted to say thanks for the input so far! It sounds like it's not too difficult, with good planning, to resupply at places close enough to the trail to make hitch-hiking unnecessary; but if it IS needed, it's just important to be smart. Thanks for the suggestions of places close to the trail - that really helps with our planning! And it sounds like the northern section is do-able for us beginners, so thanks for the words of encouragement!

Another question - I'd like to take a cell phone in case of emergencies. Does anyone know what cell phone services get the best reception along the Long Trail?

Thanks again!

DavidNH
07-09-2005, 16:59
HI,

As already said in this thread there is no technical or rock climbing on the Long Trail. However, Be advised that parts of the trail, especially around Mt Mansfield points north, are very strenuous. The trail gets very steep and there are lots of roots, and wet rocks to deal with. The section south of Route 4 that is contiguous with the AT is relatively easy at least compared to the northern sections. Oh, the section of trail that descents into Hazens Notch (way up north) goes straight down the side of the mountain over rocks (probably wet rocks) and lots of slippery routes. Even the whites don't have tread way like this (you gotta see it to really understand).

I would not worry about hitch hiking in and out of towns simply because you are two women. People on and near the trail I have found to be incredibly nice. However, you may have to wait a faire amount of time to get rides depending where on the trail you are hitching (easy on route 11 going into Manchester!).

Regarding cell phones..you will probably have good reception most of the way as the trail follows the ridge line and there is a straight shot for signals from their to Burlington or to Montpelier. However, I don't really see what good it will do. If You get in trouble in remote spots (ie Bamforth ridge on Camels Hump), on ridge near Mt Belvidere, and many other remote sections on the trail..if you get injured you could well be there for a while ( read many hours) till help 1) comes to you and 2) gets you out. The best way to avoid this is by hiking at reasonable speed and with care. basically take it easy and use caution. Also, as I discovered with a weather radio I brought a long, once wet it no longer works! extra weight.

All that said.. Just use common sense, and don't rush over those mountains. you should take your time any way cause it is just so beautiful

nhhiker

PS.. On my long trail hike I cursed the trail and the GMC a lot for the tread way and condtions but finally realized that I was waisting my breath and only draining my own energy. Finally I just accepted the trail for what it was and is and dealt with it. That made things easier and I think was an important lesson for me.

Rough
07-10-2005, 12:01
My wife and I did our end-to-end in the summer of 2003. We're in our late fifties and the most important things were just taking our time on the trail and travelling as light as possible. We were a little leary of hitchhiking but found that Vermonters recognize backpackers and are very supportive and generous. Our complete journal with photos can be viewed at http://www.47ipsd.us/Web_LTAlbum/welcome.html. Also, another version which includes our preparations is at http://www.trailjournals.com/roughandtumble. And we're still hiking on the Long Trail every summer! Best of luck and enjoy your hike.
Rough

Tramper Al
07-10-2005, 22:15
Regarding cell phones..you will probably have good reception most of the way as the trail follows the ridge line and there is a straight shot for signals from their to Burlington or to Montpelier. However, I don't really see what good it will do. If You get in trouble in remote spots (ie Bamforth ridge on Camels Hump), on ridge near Mt Belvidere, and many other remote sections on the trail..if you get injured you could well be there for a while ( read many hours) till help 1) comes to you and 2) gets you out. The best way to avoid this is by hiking at reasonable speed and with care.
Please, now Beeker was asking what cell phone service had the best coverage. I can't imagine why anyone would tell a novice backpacker who wanted to bring a cell phone 'for emergency use', and did not ask for this advice, that she should not? Because parts of the trail are 'remote'? She would be worse off how? I don't even understand this reasoning. It's just another tool, not inherently evil.

Beeker, cell phone reception on the ridges of the LT is pretty good. You won't have reception everywhere, obviously.

Incidentally, I know a young women who thru hiked the LT end-to-end just last summer. Do you want me to put you in touch with her? Me, I am an LT section hiker.

Beeker3882
07-14-2005, 00:14
Incidentally, I know a young women who thru hiked the LT end-to-end just last summer. Do you want me to put you in touch with her? Me, I am an LT section hiker.[/QUOTE]
Sure! Thanks! Is she a regular on this website?

Tramper Al
07-14-2005, 07:09
Sure! Thanks! Is she a regular on this website?

Hey Beeker,

She is still registered here, but it looks like she has not posted in a couple of years. She is still an active online discussant on hiking boards elsewhere, however, and we hike together a few times a year. I will send you a PM with her contact information.

Tin Man
07-14-2005, 08:02
I ran into two separate pairs of women finishing the LT 2 years ago. They did North to South and seemed very happy and had a great hike. One pair of ladies was just out of college, the other was a mother/daughter pair and the mother was 70! The m/d pair carried a Satellite phone that the younger one's husband rented for the 6 weeks they were out there - apparently he was more worried than they were! I also ran into a single lady AT through hiker heading southbound, I think her name was Ghost. She didn't have much to say other than her name was Ghost because people saw her register entries but rarely saw her! Enjoy your hike!

Casper
04-12-2006, 14:44
Beeker,

I'm a beginning (female) b-packer, too, planning to do the LT solo in August. E-mail me if you're interested in chatting or meeting up at the beginning if our hike dates are at the same time!

Haystack

Mags
04-12-2006, 15:16
The Long Trail was my first long hike back in 1997. I, too, was 23 years old (cue in "It was a very good year" by Frank Sinatra).

Doing the trail was what ultimately gave me the confidence to do the Appalachian Trail the following year. Also did the LT again in 1999 before moving to Colorado.

Safe to say, my life to this point is in a large part because of that hike on the LT nine years ago.

I had done my first backpacking trip in 1996...only a year before! But, became addicted ... went out for weekends, three day trips..solo. But I wanted more!

So I did the LT to see if I enjoyed backpacking for an extended time. Eighteen days later I had my answer at the Canadian border.

Anyway, think you'll do just fine. Take it easy, enjoy the trail. I agree with the 3-4 week estimate. That is a pace comfortable for anyone in decent shape, esp. if you do not have the 30lb base pack weight that I had. Oof! :)

I have my pics and other LT stuff online at:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=44&Itemid=34

JoeHiker
04-12-2006, 18:54
Anyone planning to hike the Long Trail should get two things (among others, of course).1. The End to Enders guide2. The Long Trail map (waterproof)Both available from the Green Mountain Club website. http://www.greenmountainclub.org/They were both indispensible to my hike.