PDA

View Full Version : DWG Places to stay

dmperkins74
05-01-2013, 05:56
Hey gang,

Anybody ever stay at the DeerHead Inn in Delaware Water Gap? If so, is it nice? Any other places to recommend in the DWG?

dp

mrcoffeect
05-01-2013, 07:17
church of the mountain hostel is your best bet in DWG.

Ablemob
05-02-2013, 16:48
The Inn is nice but pricey for a thruhiker. Have a pint of Lienenkuels Summer Shandy and a burger at the bar though, you won't regret it.

rocketsocks
05-02-2013, 16:58
Definitely stop in "The Bakery" you won't regret it...it's the real deal! the chicken pot pies were tasty and the coffee fresh, the turn overs looked heavenly...my only regret....not getting one, ok two.

mrcoffeect
05-02-2013, 17:27
Definitely stop in "The Bakery" you won't regret it...it's the real deal! the chicken pot pies were tasty and the coffee fresh, the turn overs looked heavenly...my only regret....not getting one, ok two.
yea and they have the hot dog and slice of pie deal for $2.50

Dogwood
05-03-2013, 01:32
Hostel, and bakery are musts. Wonder if the Deerhead Inn recovered from being flooded by the river the last time that happened? The hostel sits on gigher ground so I don't think they have ever been flooded out.

Rain Man
05-03-2013, 09:57

I've got to agree! Rocketsocks watched me eat half a chicken pot pie (they're so big, that's all I could handle) last month. YUMM!!!

And yes, the Presbyterian Church of the Mountain is one of the more well-known hostels along the AT. Not fancy, but a great place for hikers. I met the "new" Pastor (been there two years now?). Nice guy. Here are a few photos I took inside and out, below. Don't forget -- they operate on voluntary donations.

Don't overlook Stroudsburg and East Stroudsburg, which are very close and I think a lot of hikers go there for motels and/or better resupply.

Rain:sunMan

FarmerChef
05-03-2013, 11:10
+1 on Church of the Mountain Hostel. We really enjoyed our stay. We did not know about the bakery at that time but after the descriptions I wish we had! We ate at the pizzeria just down the street. Pizza was as good as any I've had on the trail. But the bakery sure sounds like a treat!

RED-DOG
05-03-2013, 11:21
The church of the Mountains hostel is a great place to stay. I stayed their on all three of my Thru-Hikes the Bakery is a Awsome place but the Greek Pizzeria are a bunch of A-holes

mrcoffeect
05-07-2013, 08:24
The church of the Mountains hostel is a great place to stay. I stayed their on all three of my Thru-Hikes the Bakery is a Awsome place but the Greek Pizzeria are a bunch of A-holesyes they had a bad attitude at the pizza place, a

mrcoffeect
05-07-2013, 08:25
and the pizza was nothing to write home about