PDA

View Full Version : Carvers Gap Parking/Shuttle

klpicktown
05-01-2013, 08:46
I am trying to help a few friends that want to meet up with me on my section this summer so I told them I would work out all the logistics so they can just show up and hike.

We need to get off the trail at Carvers Gap, so this is where I want hem to leave their car so they can shuttle me back to mine in Damascus.
so: 1) recommendations for them to park in/near Carvers gap?
2) they will need shuttled up to meet me at Walnut Mountain Road/trail crossing: shuttle services near that area?

Thanks!

FlyPaper
05-01-2013, 10:23
I am trying to help a few friends that want to meet up with me on my section this summer so I told them I would work out all the logistics so they can just show up and hike.

We need to get off the trail at Carvers Gap, so this is where I want hem to leave their car so they can shuttle me back to mine in Damascus.
so: 1) recommendations for them to park in/near Carvers gap?
2) they will need shuttled up to meet me at Walnut Mountain Road/trail crossing: shuttle services near that area?

Thanks!

Don't know about a shuttle, but Carver's Gap has great parking. There are lots of day hikers in the area.

klpicktown
05-01-2013, 10:29
good to hear. Thanks.

Hiking Man
05-01-2013, 11:43
I would not park your car overnight a Carver's gap. Lots of break ins there. I would park at the Mountain Harbor bed and breakfast hostel on 19E. Abourt 14 trail miles north. They also shuttle.

Ewker
05-01-2013, 13:23
ditto to above post

Tennessee Viking
05-01-2013, 14:59
Carvers Gap has had some history of break-ins. Bad people know its a popular spot, and they can get out in/out fairly quick. But I haven't heard anything bad as of late when I lived in the area. Usually people are wise enough to hide their valuables out of sight. Just call the Pisgah Office in Mars Hill, or Cherokee Office in Unicoi, or the local hostels.

Mountain Harbour B&B/Hostel is indeed safer, and they provide shuttle services.

Check with Scott at Abby's Hostel. Its fairly close to Walnut Mountain Road. Not sure of shuttle services.

I would highly discourage any overnight parking at Walnut Mountain Road.

joshuasdad
05-01-2013, 15:29
Mountain Harbour should be able to handle parking and both shuttles. I finished a section at Walnut Mountain Road over Xmas break. I concur that parking at a very lonely Walnut Mountain Road would be inadvisable.

Other notes:

1) I think Abby's Hostel was closed when I went by, but maybe it reopened. The memorial bench was much appreciated though.

2) I recall having poor cell service near Walnut Mountain road, be sure to call from the ridgeline (perhaps from the bench) if you need to meet up with your group.

3) I hope your group likes long uphills, 19E to Carvers has quite a bit of elevation gain!

redseal
05-01-2013, 17:37
Culver's gap has a good parking lot. For overnight use you need to register at the ranger station a short distance down the road. As for a shuttle, check out the shuttle list on ATC's site. I had no problem finding someone that was willing to help off of that list.

Tennessee Viking
05-02-2013, 08:31
its Carvers Gap TN/NC