PDA

View Full Version : What did we learn today?

moytoy
05-01-2013, 16:31
I learned that not washing my shirt for 100 days might not be normal. And that maybe that's why my wife will not let me in the house.

What did you learn?

coach lou
05-01-2013, 16:53
I learned that I should get a Bear Canister so I can pee at nite, without getting out of the hooch!:D

Train Wreck
05-01-2013, 17:08
I learned that I should get a Bear Canister so I can pee at nite, without getting out of the hooch!:D

I just learned a surprising fact (or not:D) about Coach Lou!!

rocketsocks
05-01-2013, 17:22
I just learned a surprising fact (or not:D) about Coach Lou!!to not let him carry your books? :D

I'll carry your books TW...in my book bag, just don't ask me what it's second use is.....;)

rocketsocks
05-01-2013, 17:24
to not let him carry your books? :D

I'll carry your books TW...in my book bag, just don't ask me what it's second use is.....;)
oh alright....I use it to carry my monkey...and he ain't house broke. :D

HikerMom58
05-01-2013, 17:54
I learned that a lot of guys pee in a bottle, of some sort, at night on the trail. I did not know this... :eek: I can't say that I blame them.. :p

Wise Old Owl
05-01-2013, 17:56
I learned not all bees sting... ran into a swarm of Hornfaced Bees in Philadelphia....

HikerMom58
05-01-2013, 17:57
oh alright....I use it to carry my monkey...and he ain't house broke. :D

Does ur monkey have wings, RS? We learned they can earn them! :D

Train Wreck
05-01-2013, 18:00
I learned that a lot of guys pee in a bottle, of some sort, at night on the trail. I did not know this... :eek: I can't say that I blame them.. :p

I learned that a lot of them lie about the size of the bottle opening they require :rolleyes:

coach lou
05-01-2013, 18:03
I just learned a surprising fact (or not:D) about Coach Lou!!

Facts are facts:o

HikerMom58
05-01-2013, 18:04
I learned that a lot of them lie about the size of the bottle opening they require :rolleyes:

Wooo Hoooo!! Laughing. Out. Loud!!!

I learned that ChinMusic is 55 years old TODAY!!!

Sarcasm the elf
05-01-2013, 18:07
I learned that Colorado mountains can still have heavy snow when it's spring in Connecticut... wait, that was information that was actually useful to me, is that allowed in this thread? :rolleyes:

treesloth
05-01-2013, 18:31

Ha! How did you find out? Sounds like someone wishes they could pee in a bottle..... ;-)

treesloth
05-01-2013, 18:35
Oops.. I guess to keep with the jist of the thread: Today I learned that the ability to pee in a bottle without leaving your shelter should not be taken for granted.

Kookork
05-01-2013, 19:05
I learned somebodies hammock's set up can kick A$$( aren't hammocks supposed to be a place to rest a$$) !!!???

I learned that I am not the inventor of peeing in Gatorade bottle ( I was in the process of a patent for it, not anymore)!!!

Learned sadly that I can't be a dependable and trustworthy scout master (ever) since I have no child.

I learned that To be or Not to be is not a question anymore, to bladder or not to bladder is much more important.....

I learned that I learned a lot today.

moytoy
05-01-2013, 19:08
I learned that Colorado mountains can still have heavy snow when it's spring in Connecticut... wait, that was information that was actually useful to me, is that allowed in this thread? :rolleyes:
Actually I created the thread with posting useful information in mind. That's why I didn't put it in the humor forum. Useful and comic seem to fit.

moytoy
05-01-2013, 19:10
I learned that GrayBlazer hit a bear to protect his wife. And that's awesome.

Kookork
05-01-2013, 19:12
Actually I created the thread with posting useful information in mind. That's why I didn't put it in the humor forum. Useful and comic seem to fit.

Sorry, I retract all I learned today. The only thing I learned today was that I still need to pay attention to the forum section before I post. Which is still a lot to learn in one day.:D

HikerMom58
05-01-2013, 19:19
Sorry, I retract all I learned today. The only thing I learned today was that I still need to pay attention to the forum section before I post. Which is still a lot to learn in one day.:D

Funny Koko :D ... You need to unlearn #3..".Learned sadly that I can't be a dependable and trustworthy scout master (ever) since I have no child"... Nada.. Not true!

kayak karl
05-01-2013, 19:25
i learned the "What's new " button just brings up the same old, same old. nuttin' new! :)

WingedMonkey
05-01-2013, 19:31
I learned that the new invasive non-native lizard that ran across my garden at 50 mph is called Jesus Christ.

Sarcasm the elf
05-01-2013, 19:58
I learned that the new invasive non-native lizard that ran across my garden at 50 mph is called Jesus Christ.

You've got Green Basilisks in your neck of the woods?

The question I've always wondered, is it called the Jesus Christ lizard because of its ability to "walk" on water, or simply because that's the first thing most people exclaim when they see them running?

Kookork
05-01-2013, 20:06
You've got Green Basilisks in your neck of the woods?

The question I've always wondered, is it called the Jesus Christ lizard because of its ability to "walk" on water, or simply because that's the first thing most people exclaim when they see them running?

Hmmm,I learned that Jesus Christ walked on water.

Kookork
05-01-2013, 20:24
Funny Koko :D ... You need to unlearn #3..".Learned sadly that I can't be a dependable and trustworthy scout master (ever) since I have no child"... Nada.. Not true!

I stand corrected HMKD:About #3 I learned that Paranoia is not as rare as I thought it should be.
Thank you HMKD , you have a heart of gold( but ultra light version of it that suits your hiking carrier:)) .

Wise Old Owl
05-01-2013, 20:26
i learned the "What's new " button just brings up the same old, same old. nuttin' new! :)

took a long time! 2007-2013!

WingedMonkey
05-01-2013, 20:41
You've got Green Basilisks in your neck of the woods? The question I've always wondered, is it called the Jesus Christ lizard because of its ability to "walk" on water, or simply because that's the first thing most people exclaim when they see them running? The words I exclaimed on the first sighting were not so kind. I wasn't expecting a baby dinosaur to drop out of the tree. We must have at least twenty kinds of lizards around here now, most of them not native, haven't seen an Iguana for a few years since the last frost. I had though I'd seen a Basilisk on the local bike trails, this was the first time up close and in my yard.

jeffmeh
05-01-2013, 21:08
I learned that if I sit on my front steps conversing over mobile phone with my son, then the woodpeckers' peckings are loud enough for him to hear them.

Wise Old Owl
05-01-2013, 21:16

You are FOS... :rolleyes:

Another Kevin
05-01-2013, 21:30

Yeah, we all think our aim is much better than it is, and use too narrow a bottle. ;)

rick2911
05-01-2013, 21:47
I too learned that I should have an empty bottle with me at night. And I also learned that I can use my treadmill carrying my full pack to prep for a hike.

jeffmeh
05-01-2013, 21:52
Woah, that water's cold!

Yeah, and it's deep too!

:)

coach lou
05-01-2013, 21:55
I know we all learned that the sleepy alligator in the noon-day sun, is always, sleepin' by the river just like he usually done:D

FarmerChef
05-01-2013, 22:04
I learned that I should not use my bladder to pee in when I have to go at night. Or was it that I should use my bladder. I thought I had to use my bladder to do either but now I'm thinking I use my bottle. Oh well, it was to be or not to be or something like that...I also learned that some gatorade bottles come in wide mouth and regular...;)

chris too
05-01-2013, 22:09

Haha, Yeah HM and there is more of a process than I ever would have suspected...

Train Wreck
05-01-2013, 22:50
I know we all learned that the sleepy alligator in the noon-day sun, is always, sleepin' by the river just like he usually done:D

I learned that you can use a Sponge Bob Square Pants bandaid to patch up a small nip :o

coach lou
05-01-2013, 22:53
I learned that you can use a Sponge Bob Square Pants bandaid to patch up a small nip :o

Ouchie!!!:rolleyes:

Capt Nat
05-01-2013, 22:57
I learned that thru hikers and boy scouts write on shelter walls and that the pee bottle and the drinking bottle should be separate bottles.... Who'da thunk it...

Train Wreck
05-01-2013, 22:58
I learned that thru hikers and boy scouts write on shelter walls and that the pee bottle and the drinking bottle should be separate bottles.... Who'da thunk it...

not if you're Bear Grylls! :D

Capt Nat
05-01-2013, 23:08
I learned that there are 7 things I didn't know about peein in a bottle while slack packing and that some folks from out west don't want to pee on the AT...

Gray Blazer
05-02-2013, 07:50
I learned that GrayBlazer hit a bear to protect his wife. And that's awesome.

I'm kinda mean if you wake me up by sitting on me in the middle of the night.

I learned that someone's been hangin' out in the women's forum. :)

HikerMom58
05-02-2013, 08:27
I've learned that there are a lot of humorous peeps on this site. The funniest ones are sometimes the funniest when they don't mean to be.:D

I've also learned that I am totally hooked on WB and have withdrawal symptoms if I try to stay away. (no surprise there, I'm sure ;))

Gray Blazer
05-02-2013, 08:29
I am always serious.

perdidochas
05-02-2013, 09:57

I think it would be more accurate to say some guys pee in a bottle at night.

HikerMom58
05-02-2013, 10:07
I think it would be more accurate to say some guys pee in a bottle at night.

Ha!! Yes, u are correct ;) While reading that thread, I have to admit, I was relieved to see that not all of y'all do it. Like I said before tho, I don't really blame the ones that do but I feel I would be one that would just "man up" and get out of the tent, shelter or hammock.( unless the conditions were as WM described) That's prob. because I don't have a choice. I think I'm glad I don't. :p I do everything in my power to make sure I won't "feel the need" before :sun up. It's been working for me. :>)

Train Wreck
05-02-2013, 10:32
I learned that men in red trucks are not your friend :eek:

Gray Blazer
05-02-2013, 10:41
I learned that men in red trucks are not your friend :eek:

Pickup trucks, not fire trucks.

yaduck9
05-02-2013, 11:50
I learned somebodies hammock's set up can kick A$$( aren't hammocks supposed to be a place to rest a$$) !!!???

I learned that I am not the inventor of peeing in Gatorade bottle ( I was in the process of a patent for it, not anymore)!!!

Learned sadly that I can't be a dependable and trustworthy scout master (ever) since I have no child.

I learned that To be or Not to be is not a question anymore, to bladder or not to bladder is much more important.....

I learned that I learned a lot today.

I learned that *******5.56 is buggy and hangs up, better to wait for version 6.00

importman77
05-02-2013, 12:43
I've learned that pee bottle opening envy exists.

Kookork
05-02-2013, 12:56
I learned that *******5.56 is buggy and hangs up, better to wait for version 6.00

LOL, We might have to wait for a loooooong time for a better version since Old habits die hard .

To be honest,I love drama in WhiteBlaze from time to time and it seems *****5.56 is a potential source of drama.

Kookork
05-02-2013, 13:04
I've learned that pee bottle opening envy exists.

True but According to ultra light folks, the lighter the better, so hikers with heavier" plumbing system " are in a disadvantage position here.

HikerMom58
05-02-2013, 13:10
True but According to ultra light folks, the lighter the better, so hikers with heavier" plumbing system " are in a disadvantage position here.

Oh boy... *shaking head*.... once again UL takes on a whole new meaning. :D I'm learning these things...

Train Wreck
05-02-2013, 13:14

Gives a whole new meaning to "gram weenie"

Tuckahoe
05-02-2013, 14:12

That would actually be version 7.62...

rocketsocks
05-02-2013, 15:27
That would actually be version 7.62...in 39mm or 54mm;)

treesloth
05-02-2013, 15:45
Today I learned, much to my surprise, that this thread is still in the General and not the HH Forum.

treesloth
05-02-2013, 15:46
in 39mm or 54mm;)

One more post to 7K dude! Only 20K or so more to go to catch up to the Wolf.

Teacher & Snacktime
05-02-2013, 16:57
I learned that you can't escape statistics: 95% of all (home) accidents occur in the bathroom, so of course my section hike was curtailed from an injury from a fall on the way to the bathroom facility(shower) at a state park...go figure.

rocketsocks
05-02-2013, 17:03
One more post to 7K dude! Only 20K or so more to go to catch up to the Wolf.Hey nice catch..didn't even notice that and hey it gives me somthin to look forward to

today I learned I have 20,000 more post to catch up to Lone Wolf, I might could do that by years end......

Chaco Taco
05-02-2013, 17:04
I learned that alot of people pee in bottles. I have never done such a thing, I just pee in my sleeping bag, jack daniels was involved, dont hassle me :0
I am reminded of another dumba** moment when I started long distance hiking. I was in The Smokies and thought someone had just left a nice nalgene bottle behind at Spence Field. Being the newbie hiker I was then, I thought this was a score. I took the bottle and rinsed it out really well with Bronner's. No matter what anyone says, Dr. Bronner's will not take the smell of piss out of a plastic bottle. Glad I didnt filter water into it. Ha, I filtered water....What a newb :)

Chaco Taco
05-02-2013, 17:08
Yea and why have you guys gotta pick on us ULer's? Not our fault you guys are glutons for punishment and think you need to carry stuff you wont use. You freaks and your camp shoes :D

Kookork
05-02-2013, 18:06
That would actually be version 7.62...

Then trail Name: AK 47 fits the bill.

Tuckahoe
05-02-2013, 18:07
in 39mm or 54mm;)

And dont leave out 63mm, 51mm or 35mm :D

max patch
05-02-2013, 18:34
I learned that people will not take toothpaste to save weight. I learned that people will cut the handle off their toothbrush to save weight. I learned that people will cut the margins off their maps to save weight. I learned that people will cut an inch off a strap on their pack to save weight.

And I learned that the same people will carry an extra nalgene just for the pleasure of pissing in their tent.

I'm done learning. My head hurts.

Chaco Taco
05-02-2013, 18:46
I learned that people will not take toothpaste to save weight. I learned that people will cut the handle off their toothbrush to save weight. I learned that people will cut the margins off their maps to save weight. I learned that people will cut an inch off a strap on their pack to save weight.

And I learned that the same people will carry an extra nalgene just for the pleasure of pissing in their tent.

I'm done learning. My head hurts.

Best post in this thread. No one will ever match this!!!! Thread closed! :)

Sarcasm the elf
05-02-2013, 19:56
I learned that people will not take toothpaste to save weight. I learned that people will cut the handle off their toothbrush to save weight. I learned that people will cut the margins off their maps to save weight. I learned that people will cut an inch off a strap on their pack to save weight.And I learned that the same people will carry an extra nalgene just for the pleasure of pissing in their tent.I'm done learning. My head hurts.
Best post in this thread. No one will ever match this!!!! Thread closed! :)I second that!

HikerMom58
05-02-2013, 20:05
Ha Ha!! I third that on the best post but don't close the thread... I loveee it!! :)

Alligator
05-02-2013, 22:23
I learned that if you double click on the folder icon next to the thread title it closes the thread.

Alligator
05-03-2013, 09:21
...and if you repeat that it opens it back up. Neat!

Train Wreck
05-03-2013, 09:26
I learned that alligators are extremely adept at the keyboard :D

WingedMonkey
05-03-2013, 09:26

Exploring are we?

;)

HikerMom58
05-03-2013, 09:47

Hummm.... not sure what to think of that...:confused::-? I just learned that I'm not a fan of the first action, on this thread, for sure.

atmilkman
05-03-2013, 09:53
I learned that if you double click on the folder icon next to the thread title it closes the thread.

I learned that this doesn't work on my computer.

Gray Blazer
05-03-2013, 09:54
I learned that this doesn't work on my computer.

You have to be an alligator.

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 11:58
I learned that if you double click on the folder icon next to the thread title it closes the thread.Cool, now I get the chance to say..."Now that right there is funny"

HikerMom58
05-03-2013, 12:23
Cool, now I get the chance to say..."Now that right there is funny"

I just learned something from my buddy RS --- I think it's cool how he (and others) find humor in things that I don't. I like how we are all different/take things differently and still can get along, when we really want too. ;) #youguysrock

BuckeyeBill
05-03-2013, 14:02
ILearned things in the female forum, that shouldn't be repeated here

Old Hiker
05-03-2013, 14:09
You are FOS... :rolleyes:

First on Springer??

moytoy
05-03-2013, 19:38
I learned it's smart not to overreact. I think the reptile will understand what I mean:)

coach lou
05-07-2013, 09:30
I learned this weekend that Damascus is a cool little town....and I can't wait to visit again!

Sarcasm the elf
05-07-2013, 09:59
I learned this weekend that Damascus is a cool little town....and I can't wait to visit again!Even better than Kent?

Chaco Taco
05-07-2013, 10:03
Even better than Kent?
he said cool, not uncool.......:)

coach lou
05-07-2013, 10:06
Even better than Kent?

he said cool, not uncool.......:)

I'll bet Marsha, the Kent Lady, is a pussy cat just like the Wolf!

Chair-man
06-05-2013, 02:26
I learned that some people get beat mentally before they ever set foot on the trail.
I learned that you just can't dwell only on the negatives before you ever get started.

moytoy
06-05-2013, 05:55
I learned that a picture is truly worth a thousand words. I learned that there is a Washington Monument on the AT. I surly have read that fact before but had forgot it. Today I read it and saw a picture. I won't forget that fact now:)

Edro
06-05-2013, 07:05
I learned.... uhhh.... im so full of new knowledge i caint seem to sort one single thing out.

HikerMom58
06-05-2013, 10:00
I'll bet Marsha, the Kent Lady, is a pussy cat just like the Wolf!

I want to learn today who ,Marsha, the Kent Lady is/ er was........she kicked me when I was down. Alligator stepped in- I haven't seen her since.

Was she always rude or just sometimes?

coach lou
06-05-2013, 10:07
She makes periodic appearances, advertises herself(?:rolleyes:) as a trail angel. I:rolleyes:, because some think she is just trolling. After she trashed you and others, maybe she healed the gator bites and chilled. No matter, you have other friends in the Nutmeg state that will help you out how ever you need!:sun

HikerMom58
06-05-2013, 11:01
She makes periodic appearances, advertises herself(?:rolleyes:) as a trail angel. I:rolleyes:, because some think she is just trolling. After she trashed you and others, maybe she healed the gator bites and chilled. No matter, you have other friends in the Nutmeg state that will help you out how ever you need!:sun

Thanks Coach. :) I may be needing your help or at least a visit when I start hiking further North. I've always wondered about her and who she was. I hold no ill feelings towards her any more, I don't know her at all.

So today I learned about Kent lady, thanks to my friend, Lou. :)

Gray Blazer
06-05-2013, 11:34

Not to mention the :sun state.

daddytwosticks
06-05-2013, 15:41
I learned many on Whiteblaze like to talk about pee, poop, and getting sick. :)

MDSection12
06-05-2013, 16:02
I learned that a picture is truly worth a thousand words. I learned that there is a Washington Monument on the AT. I surly have read that fact before but had forgot it. Today I read it and saw a picture. I won't forget that fact now:)

Add this fact; that Washington Monument is a prime location for watching the Spring and Fall raptor migrations! :)

Teacher & Snacktime
06-05-2013, 19:02
Even better than Kent?

I learned that while TMobile works at the top of Schagticoke Mountain at 11pm. it does not work anywhere in the town of Kent, CT at any hour.

I learned that there is only one public telephone in the town of Kent, and it is out of order. I learned that Kent has no Police Dept. of it's own. And finally I learned that if you sit on a park bench in the center of town from 8:00pm to 3:00am on a Monday night, locals will sit with you for hours on end keeping vigil until your husband and daughter arrive to take you home.

HikerMom58
06-25-2013, 13:00
I learned today that I like the new WB username - question. :cool:

I learned (from Winged Monkey) that he and max patch are not the same person. (not a surprise) ;)

I learned that Chin is the BEST resource for "real time" info on "Joe to Go"... I'd say it's a "GO"!! But we'll see....:D

I learned that I miss Chaco Taco posts along with some others. :(

Last but not least- I learned that I'm glad moytoy started this thread. :p