PDA

View Full Version : Overmountain Shelter

JTDawg
07-08-2005, 15:50
I see no note in any of my books of a road to Overmountain Shelter, however, was told by someone that hiked that area that there was a road close by. Does anyone have any information about this?

MDSHiker
07-08-2005, 16:18
I don't know how to get to the road, but there is a gravel road there. The movie "The Winter People" was filmed on that site so there must be a road there. Someone help us out here !

trippclark
07-08-2005, 16:39
Yep, I ran into some local hunters near the shelter who said that the road was near. I think they said that it was about a mile or so, but might be remembering wrong.

trippclark
07-08-2005, 16:49
I found the GPS coordinates for Overmountain shelter on the web and loaded these into Google maps . . .

Here is what I got. You can zoom in or out and pan around to find what you need.

http://tinyurl.com/b89lr

Looks like Roaring Creek Road off of 19E is what you are looking for.

Tripp

SGT Rock
07-08-2005, 17:27
You can drive to within about 1/4 mile of the shelter. I've done it before. Cool part is the bathtub near the trailhead.

sherrill
07-08-2005, 17:36
Roaring Creek Road, left off US19E, about 6-8 miles outside Spruce Pine (maybe less it's been a few years). I believe you park all the way at the end. We hiked up an old jeep road to the Overmountain Victory Trail and then hiked left until we found it. On that old jeep road we literally found dozens of buckeyes.