PDA

View Full Version : Work boots

erieite
05-02-2013, 22:03
I have worked construction for most of my life (58yrs) I have always been comfortable in a good pair of work boots. I have never had problems with blisters, hot spots or any other ailments. I have never found a hiking boot as comfortable as work boots. Is it crazy to think of a thru-hike wearing work boots?

Chaco Taco
05-02-2013, 22:06
I have worked construction for most of my life (58yrs) I have always been comfortable in a good pair of work boots. I have never had problems with blisters, hot spots or any other ailments. I have never found a hiking boot as comfortable as work boots. Is it crazy to think of a thru-hike wearing work boots?
best thing to do is to find out for yourself....

FarmerChef
05-02-2013, 22:09
Have you tried to go hiking for a considerable distance in them? Say 10 or 15 miles over trail with roots and rocks. I suppose it could work but curious if you've tested it out. Might be perfect for you but the best advice I can give is to echo Chaco and recommend you try it out first.

erieite
05-02-2013, 22:14
I haven't worn them hiking 10-15 miles a few times hiking 4-5 miles, I have worn them for some 15 hrs and 90+ degree days and other than my feet being hot and really tired there was no problem.

FarmerChef
05-02-2013, 22:20
Good to know. If you can, try throwing on a pack and going for a good day hike or, even better, an overnight weekend hike. The mechanics of walking miles on end is a bit different from walking then stopping repeatedly. I've done similar distances to you in work boots while in Scouts and I didn't get blisters but I'm just not sure what would happen if I tried it on the longer hikes I do now. That's not to say these couldn't work for you. They could be great! But I would recommend that you get out there and try it out. Maybe an out and back style hike in case you wind up running into an unforeseen problem.

Something I can tell you is that I've rarely seen something approximating a work boot on the trail outside of trail maintainers. I've seen plenty of hiking boots but can't say that I've seen thrus hiking with work boots. Perhaps someone else on WB has done it and could post here?

RF_ace
05-03-2013, 05:16
I made the mistake of hiking 12 miles in my danner super rainforest boots; never again! Now did the same in red wings, minor hotspots

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 06:41
I have worked construction for most of my life (58yrs) I have always been comfortable in a good pair of work boots. I have never had problems with blisters, hot spots or any other ailments. I have never found a hiking boot as comfortable as work boots. Is it crazy to think of a thru-hike wearing work boots?I too have lived in boots my whole adult carreer, and though the work boots of today are better than the boots of yesteryear, they are still pretty heavy as far as boots go. Today's newer hiking type boots, shoes, trail runners are typically lighter by comparison to construction boots that most of us wear on the job. A study was done by the military that stated something like for each lb. of weight on the feet...5 lbs. is felt on the back....or something like that. But hey whatever works for you, there is no hard rule with something like this...give it a shot and see if it works for you. Again if you look at older photographs (70's) you'll see plenty of folks wearing work boots...I did.

Another Kevin
05-03-2013, 08:33
I still wear work boots - nowadays with a titanium toe box rather than stieel - in cold weather or on talus. I tried hiking on talus in trail runners and it made hamburger of my toes. I stub my toes a lot. The boots are heavy, but lots lighter than steel, and my toes thank me for them. In summer on a dirt, mud, or slabby treadway, with a "modified traditionalist" pack (I'm not down to "ultralight", but gradually moving in that direction), I'm fine with trail runners. If I expect a lot of talus, I'm back to the work boots. In cold weather, I don't switch to pac boots until I'm already using snowshoes or crampons.

Work boots and gaiters stand up to sloshing through freezing mud or bushwhacking through a laurel meadow or the tangle of spruce, viburnum, and blackberry that we get in my part of the world above about 3500 feet. Work boots are bombproof. I have years of use on my pair. (I've walked through multiple sets of insoles.) I'm really, really, not looking forward to breaking in a new pair, but that time is near. The toes are badly enough worn that I can see metal at one spot.

But I don't put in big miles. I typically plan 8-12 mile days if there's a lot of up and down. And I don't do more than about a 4-day section. I might have to go to other options if I were to attempt a really long section or a thru.

BirdBrain
05-03-2013, 09:38
I have worn steel toes work boots for 33+ years at work. For 9 years prior to that I wore rubber boots digging clams and trapping. I have never worn boots hiking though... until last Saturday. In preparation for a Maine hike, I did a shakedown hike in the Camden Hills. I wore leather boots. I figured I would need the extra protection for the longer hike I am planning. I have never had a problem with my feet. I came back with a black toenail on 1 foot and a sore 1 on the other. I would advise against it. Until you have walked downhill for a few miles in leather boots, you will not have your answer. Typically work boots are bought for fit and hiking are bought for expansion. My hiking boots were 1 size too big (as advised by many) and laced properly. I would venture a guess that your work boots are not a size too big. Leave the boots home and get some good trail runners. I have hiked in trail runners or sandals for decades without an issue. 1st day (and last day) in boots and I have a big issue.

attroll
05-04-2013, 02:00
Moved thread/topic to the "General" forum.

q-tip
05-04-2013, 11:20
Big problem I found with leather boots-they never seem to dry. I use to use Asolo leather boots, they were 5+ lbs when wet, now use trail runners with heavy duty ankle braces...Also-the tread on the bottom may not give you the necessary stability on wet surfaces.