PDA

View Full Version : Camelbak resevoir locked

Van Lloyden
07-08-2005, 15:57
The woman I'm dating got back from iraq in December. She took her new camelbak over seas and has never been able to open it to fill it up. It has never been used as a result.

Could the Iraq heat have melted it shut?
Is there a locking mechanism that we are missing that would make it impossible to open?

It is a 2 quart resevoir with a wide mouth opening. Any ideas? or suggestions on how to open this?

Please lets avoid "contact the company" replies. It is the obvious method, but I've learned this forum is much faster for a response.

Thanks,
VL

Footslogger
07-08-2005, 16:04
I doubt that it's melted shut. More likely is that something sticky got onto the threads and the lid was screwed down tightly and left that way for a long time.

Water is the universal solvent ...so first off I would float the Camel Back in warm water over night and then try again to budge the cap. Use a huge channel lock pliers, if you have one, and apply moderate/constant pressure without squeezing too hard and forcing the cap to go out-of-round.

I've had this same thing happen to a standard 1 Liter Nalgene bottle that had been left for a long time with gatorade inside. The above method worked for me.

'Slogger

Skyline
07-08-2005, 16:32
Gently pour hot water (not quite boiling hot) on the opening. Then firmly turn to open, using a tool to help if necessary.

This has worked for me when I had various things stuck: the top handle part of an MSR Miniworks Filter, a Nalgene bottle knock-off, etc.

YMMV of course.

Moon Monster
07-08-2005, 16:52
unlikely to be the answer, but at least try to bite open the valve while trying to unscrew. Airplane pressure fluctuations can 'vacuum seal' some bottles.

I have an old-style Camelback bladder with the flip-lock valve and small mouth. The mouth lid sometimes gets very tight, but I can always get it open with muscle--but perhaps it is just abnormally tightly screwed.

Also, there might be replacement lids available, so you could maybe cut it off and repace.

Van Lloyden
07-09-2005, 10:35
Thanks, we'll give it a try.

Nightwalker
07-09-2005, 22:42
The woman I'm dating got back from iraq in December. She took her new camelbak over seas and has never been able to open it to fill it up. It has never been used as a result.
Blow some air in through the hose. That always helped mine. I've since switched to a Platypus because of the weight issue.