PDA

View Full Version : Best camping spots nobo

Zmaidment
05-04-2013, 12:03
So I'm thru hiking and am right around a third of the way but still haven't found the perfect camp site. Seems I always find them a half mile from where I camped the following morning. Was wondering if anyone had any special spots they could let me in on. Water, views, hidden spots, even wifi are all good qualities. If you could let me know where to find them I'd appreciate it. Just let me know the mileage and a brief description. Thanks. Ps I'm already at mile 727

Dogwood
05-04-2013, 14:16
If we publically posted the BEST Camping Spots, in short order, they would soon cease to be the BEST camping spots. And, even IF this info was to be shared by me it would be quite an extensive list too long to post here. Besides, there are tons of AT materials already available that describe GREAT campsites.

"Seems I always find them a half mile from where I camped the following morning." I sometimes give into that feeling too which is why I always carry a journal with me so I can write down AWESOME campsites I passed by or missed camping at for future reference. When I start getting this feeling it makes finding and camping at these sites that much more appreciated! You can't camp at ALL the great campsites on an AT thru-hike.

On the AT there can sometimes be excellent less used campsites slightly north/south of shelters. If you are hiking with maps and know how to read them well you can VIRTUALLY ALWAYS locate excellent places to camp that ARE NOT directly at AT shelters! You got to look ahead though and have a good estimate of where you want to end up at the end of the hiking day. When I have maps or trail descriptions I glance over them the night previous to give myself some idea of where I want to camp the following night. I like to have at least two or three alternative camping areas to adjust for how my hiking day goes.

Another thing I do is cowboy or bivy alot(whenever conditions dictate it) so I can wander up to a summit, edge of an escarpment, ledge, rock formation, cave, island in a river, grove of trees, etc OFF THE MAIN ROUTE(trail) and just sleep there with complete solitude without having to camp at established beaten down campsites. The AT is also a basically forested trail so it can be a GREAT PLACE to employ a hammock. Use of a hammock on the AT can open up a whole new world of possible places to count sheep. Whenever I do this I PRACTICE STRONG LNT PRINCIPLES! Got to be mindful of H20! ATers tend to congregate around H20 sources.

Luddite
05-04-2013, 14:24
If we publically posted the BEST Camping Spots, in short order, they would soon cease to be the BEST camping spots.

Exactly what I was going to say.

RED-DOG
05-04-2013, 14:30
I agree with Dogwood. No way i am giving away my spots. Good Luck and have a nice hike.:dance

Luddite
05-04-2013, 17:07
Where are right now?