PDA

View Full Version : Shoes or boots?

Tree Nerd
05-04-2013, 15:05
Getting ready for my AT thru and my Danner SOBO mids are on their last leg. I have always used mid sized boots due to the ankle support and versatility of them for work and play, but I don't think I need it anymore. Any preference from you all? Stay with boots or go with shoes?

rocketsocks
05-04-2013, 15:55
I don't know, I love my boots, but I also love my trail runners....your choice I spose :) ...but I guess I'd go with the trail runners as they are more likely to fit-in in more situations than the mids would.

MuddyWaters
05-04-2013, 17:04
If you are happy with boots, and they work for you, stick with them, especially if you carry a heavy pack.

If you feel a need to make a change to improve your footwear situation, then try trail runners.

Only you can decide what you like best.

I do believe, generally, that boots are unneccessary for hiking on trails, and that they are a detriment for most people with reasonable packs.
I also believe, that they sometimes do have their place, and may actually be needed by some people as well.

redseal
05-04-2013, 17:40
I prefer trail runners for their light weight, breathability and quick drying properties. If you get the right fit you should have plenty of ankle support.

Chair-man
05-04-2013, 22:44
Stay with boots or go with shoes?

I got a pair of La Sportiva Wildcat trail runners recently and while they are the most comfortable shoes I find them to be very unstable. They have no lateral support. I rolled my ankle a few times with them and fell again. It maybe due to my weight (203) and I'm training with a 30lb pack.
Personally, for me, there is no way I'd hike with trail runners. I now have a pair of Merrell Moab mids and I don't have to worry about turning my ankle every time I step on a pebble or uneven surface. I think trail runners are a joke but that's just my opinion.

Tree Nerd
05-05-2013, 09:58
I do believe, generally, that boots are unneccessary for hiking on trails, and that they are a detriment for most people with reasonable packs.
I also believe, that they sometimes do have their place, and may actually be needed by some people as well.

My base weight before food and water is 20-25 lbs and dropping every time I go backpacking. I plan to be down to less than 20 before I start. Besides that, the only reason I had boots is, because college and work. While most of my walking is on sidewalks, I spend a lot of time working outside or inventorying forests, doing transects in eastern Kentucky mountains. They worked well with the ankle support and keeping mud and other crud out of my shoes. First off, they Danner sobo mids were the only boots I could find at local outfitters that were not goretex, they are super lightweight for what they are, and really comfortable. I'm a Danner boots man and goretex is a freaking joke so I went with them, but after two pair I am coming up with several problems. There is too much room in the footbox (not a problem for working, but when I start long distance hiking it gives me blisters), if I dont lace them just right they hurt my ankles (problem with any mid boot), and mid boots get really hot in the summer and dry out slower.

Anyway, I am going to go to some outfitters tomorrow and try on some trail runners and see what I can come up with.....If I end up not liking hiking in them I can always use them as shoes for around the city and stop killing my boots on the pavement.

redseal
05-05-2013, 13:28
I got a pair of La Sportiva Wildcat trail runners recently and while they are the most comfortable shoes I find them to be very unstable. They have no lateral support. I rolled my ankle a few times with them and fell again. It maybe due to my weight (203) and I'm training with a 30lb pack.
Personally, for me, there is no way I'd hike with trail runners. I now have a pair of Merrell Moab mids and I don't have to worry about turning my ankle every time I step on a pebble or uneven surface. I think trail runners are a joke but that's just my opinion.

This is a meaningful post. There are certain times to wear trail runners and certain times you should not. One situation where you should not is when you are carrying heavy loads. The best advice is try out several options and find something that works well with your body and hiking style.

hikerboy57
05-05-2013, 13:41
La sportiva raptors have more torsional rigidity than the wildcats,good for 400 miles so far carrying 26-28 lbs.

Venchka
05-05-2013, 14:02
REI sells a Lowa all leather no Gore-Tex boot. Renegade maybe? They are listed online and I saw them in the Houston store. I wish I had found them before I bought Asolo G-T boots. I need to wear out these G-T boots so I can go back to all leather.
Good luck with boot shopping & your hike.
I don't understand folks who buy 4 pairs of disposable shoes vs. 1 pair of real boots for an AT Thru hike.

Wayne

Old Boots
05-05-2013, 16:07
I hiked last year in Oboz Windrivers which were relatively lightweight and stable. I had no blisters hiking @ 480 miles. This year I am preparing to hike in La Sportiva Raptors and find they are equally comfortable and lighter weight. It really depends on your individual needs and desires.

MuddyWaters
05-05-2013, 17:06
I don't understand folks who buy 4 pairs of disposable shoes vs. 1 pair of real boots for an AT Thru hike.
Wayne

All shoes are disposeable. So is all gear for that matter.

Boots are heavy, clumsy, slow, hot, and dont dry because of thick padding.
In my opinion, they create more problems than they solve for most people.
Fortunately, everyone can use what they like and prefer.

Heavy, slow hikers wont find fault with their boots.
Fast , light hikers wouldnt think of wearing them.

redseal
05-05-2013, 19:08
La sportiva raptors have more torsional rigidity than the wildcats,good for 400 miles so far carrying 26-28 lbs.

Good to know. I have been looking at these for quite some time, but I have been very happy with my Wildcats.

hikestofish
05-05-2013, 21:01
REI sells a Lowa all leather no Gore-Tex boot. Renegade maybe? They are listed online and I saw them in the Houston store. I wish I had found them before I bought Asolo G-T boots. I need to wear out these G-T boots so I can go back to all leather.
Good luck with boot shopping & your hike.

Wayne

I wore the Lowa GTX mids for my most recent trip to Afghanistan. They are awesome boots for carrying 60# plus, up and down mountains and if you really need boots I definitely recommend Lowa. Very light and very rugged but they are not cheap but they will last for hiking around here. Mine still have plenty of life in them and I wore those things everyday on patrol and walked an average of 20km per day. Some guys in my platoon wore Salomon boots and they did very good too. The guys that wore Merrell's ended up ordering more boots (not to say they're not good boots, just not made for Afghanistan). Just my .02

James

hikerboy57
05-05-2013, 22:19
Good to know. I have been looking at these for quite some time, but I have been very happy with my Wildcats.

I blew out my wildcats on the right outside toe,ripped thru the mesh.the raptors are a bit sturdier,although heavier as well.i replaced the wildcats at noc.

Tree Nerd
05-05-2013, 23:58
Thanks for all the input guys! I am going on a two and half day trip in the red river gorge after I get off work tomorrow, but when I return I will be on the search for shoes. I'll try on a bunch at the local outfitters.

redseal
05-06-2013, 19:13
I blew out my wildcats on the right outside toe,ripped thru the mesh.the raptors are a bit sturdier,although heavier as well.i replaced the wildcats at noc.

Yep that seems to be the weak spot. I have went through 3 pairs of Wildcats in about 1,400 miles. The first spot to go in all of them was the outside mesh. The second thing to go was the toe protector coming undone.

Chair-man
05-17-2013, 15:42

I am editing my post. I now believe a lot of my problem was due to the gel insoles I was wearing. I got rid of the gel insoles and got some green Superfeet insoles (a lot stiffer). While not quite as comfortable as the gels the Superfeet give me a lot more support and are much more stable.
I hiked 8 miles the other day. The first 4 miles were with my Merrell Moab mids then after lunch I switched to the LaSportiva Wildcats both with the green Superfeet insoles. No problems and I didn't fall all day!:D
I'd like to bring both pairs of shoes when I do my AT hike this fall.

Coosa
05-18-2013, 10:27
WHATEVER you chose ... INSOLES are extremely important.

And on the ROCKS [Maryland and following] you'll want extra padding. I put another insole under my green Superfeet in my Wildcats.

fredmugs
05-21-2013, 12:28
WHATEVER you chose ... INSOLES are extremely important.

And on the ROCKS [Maryland and following] you'll want extra padding. I put another insole under my green Superfeet in my Wildcats.

It's also important to not add insole thickness at the expense of cramping your foot in the shoe (or boot). I don't remember what I did but it was a bad mistake.

Venchka
05-21-2013, 13:17
All shoes are disposeable. So is all gear for that matter.

Boots are heavy, clumsy, slow, hot, and dont dry because of thick padding.
In my opinion, they create more problems than they solve for most people.
Fortunately, everyone can use what they like and prefer.

Heavy, slow hikers wont find fault with their boots.
Fast , light hikers wouldnt think of wearing them.

You may buy disposable gear. I do not.
YMMV.

Wayne

MuddyWaters
05-22-2013, 18:41
You may buy disposable gear. I do not.
YMMV.

Wayne

Nope, you do, you just dont admit it.
How many people are using gear from 30 yrs ago? 20 yrs ago? even 15 yrs ago?

Even when unused, gear becomes obsolete. It has no value, you cant sell it if you try.

Use it, or dont, your choice. It is becoming worthless day by day, year by year.

Dr. Professor
05-22-2013, 21:04
Personally,

I like trail runners, insoles, and low gaiters. Some people hate gaiters. I love them because they keep things out of your shoes and add support while weighing very little.

jeffmeh
05-23-2013, 07:44
Personally,

I like trail runners, insoles, and low gaiters. Some people hate gaiters. I love them because they keep things out of your shoes and add support while weighing very little.

I have nothing against gaiters, but how do they add support?

Spirit Bear
05-23-2013, 07:52
Getting ready for my AT thru and my Danner SOBO mids are on their last leg. I have always used mid sized boots due to the ankle support and versatility of them for work and play, but I don't think I need it anymore. Any preference from you all? Stay with boots or go with shoes?
I switched from boots to shoes. I would get a blister or hot spot after 8-13 miles in my boots. Just finished 60 miles in my sportiva wildcats with zero hotspots or blisters. The key is finding the boot or shoe that fits your foot perfect to where you can hike 10 plus mile days with minimum foot problems. The wildcats work for me.

Deacon
05-23-2013, 20:51
The key is finding the boot or shoe that fits your foot perfect to where you can hike 10 plus mile days with minimum foot problems. The wildcats work for me.

Agree with this. Must hike 10 miles before the effects of the shoe on the foot is known.

rocketsocks
05-23-2013, 20:56
Agree with this. Must hike 10 miles before the effects of the shoe on the foot is known.+1, the in-store try-on is just a formality.

JocasseeGorge
08-16-2013, 13:20
Nope, you do, you just dont admit it.
How many people are using gear from 30 yrs ago? 20 yrs ago? even 15 yrs ago?

Even when unused, gear becomes obsolete. It has no value, you cant sell it if you try.

Use it, or dont, your choice. It is becoming worthless day by day, year by year.

I find this largely to be true, but with a caveat.

I try to buy a product that is going to give me many years of reliable use, in one capacity or another. For example, the REI Half Dome that I carried for years is no longer in my kit for any backcountry, but I still use the heck out of it for car camping, etc. It's obsolete -- for some uses -- but still completely serviceable for others.

I still have the Sundowners I tore to pieces in RMNP and Pikes Nat'l Forest when I was a teenager. They look good with jeans and a sportcoat, but no longer do any real walking duty.

"Value" vs "worthless" is a very, very subjective spectrum with a lot of room on it, IMHO.

88BlueGT
10-17-2013, 10:00
This is really a personal opinion. I've always worn boots and have been waiting for my last pair to burn out before I picked up a pair of trail runners that I have been wanting for a LONG TIME. Well, the time came and I got them... hated them. Tried 2 different pairs. All of the benefits/reasons to use trail runners are definitely there and definitely true.... but they need to work for you. I think the type of terrain, pack weight, etc. will weigh heavily on the comfort of trail runners vs boots. I do a lot of my hiking in NJ/PA where softball size rocks are plentiful on the trail and the ankle support is an absolute must (for me anyway). Most stores have great return policies. Pick up a pair and try them out.

Namtrag
10-17-2013, 11:17
I started backpacking just in the fall of 2012 with light shoes, and got my first pair of boots just last month. I prefer boots. I was feeling every sharp stone, and my feet were getting sore when I wore shoes. I am sure if I weren't so heavy, I would have an easier time with shoes, but for now, I am loving my Oboz Yellowstone's