PDA

View Full Version : Mental pep pills

Gorgiewave
05-04-2013, 16:44
What do you ladies and gents do to pull you through hours, days or weeks when you don't feel you have the strength to continue? I was out on Wednesday here in Madrid, Spain, and by the end of the day I had several blisters, I was carrying too much weight and I was quickly demoralised. The only thing I found to pull me through was to sing football (soccer) and military songs at the top of my lungs. I also sometimes recite some inspirational speeches (by Martin Luther King, Jr., mostly).

I'm not talking about taking any actual drugs (legal or illegal), just ways to "put you back on a heavenly plain".

atmilkman
05-04-2013, 16:53
You said it when you said "on a heavenly plain". I talk to "THE MAN". He keeps me going.

Gorgiewave
05-04-2013, 16:57
You said it when you said "on a heavenly plain". I talk to "THE MAN". He keeps me going.

Good thinking. Do you take a Bible on your hike? I have a very small Bible that doesn't weigh a lot and I might include that from now on.

atmilkman
05-04-2013, 17:02
Good thinking. Do you take a Bible on your hike? I have a very small Bible that doesn't weigh a lot and I might include that from now on.
I never have taken a Bible but have hiked with friends who do and have borrowed it at night at camp. But hiking during the day I've been known to carry on full blown conversations with "HIM" to the point of where people ask who are you talking to. (LOL)

rocketsocks
05-04-2013, 18:16
You pick em up Lord and I'll put em down.

realdeal64
05-04-2013, 19:06
Hey,I walk and talk to HIM all day when walking !!

FatHead64
05-04-2013, 19:29

Kindle! :banana

BuckeyeBill
05-05-2013, 01:54
I'm with you fathead64. I have a Bible on my smartphone kindle.

daddytwosticks
05-05-2013, 10:21
Eat a Snickers bar. :)

SwissGuy
05-05-2013, 11:35
Trick I learned in the Army: When feeling at the end of your rope due to weather, fatigue, etc, think of a song you know but don't know very well, and then try to remember/sing all the lyrics to it. This alone will distract you enough to kill 15 or so minutes, repeat until you can rest.

It doesn't have to be a song of course, poetry, bible verses, or whatever. The key is to distract your mind with hard thinking in trying to remember something verbatim.

johnnybgood
05-05-2013, 11:52
I go for the big calorie boosters, loaded wirh carbs like Nutella spread thick on a granola bar. Snicker or Milkyway bars are also great for that extra fat/carb load that fuels the fire to the engine.

Hey gorgiewave ; my daughter did a week long homestay in Madrid as a student ambassador and absolutely loved Spain.

Gorgiewave
05-05-2013, 12:03
Trick I learned in the Army: When feeling at the end of your rope due to weather, fatigue, etc, think of a song you know but don't know very well, and then try to remember/sing all the lyrics to it. This alone will distract you enough to kill 15 or so minutes, repeat until you can rest.

It doesn't have to be a song of course, poetry, bible verses, or whatever. The key is to distract your mind with hard thinking in trying to remember something verbatim.

I think this is a good idea, though it's not always easy to do. I try to go into a mindless trance and just walk. I find the more I think about my blisters, aching back or wet clothes, the more I suffer.

Gorgiewave
05-05-2013, 12:05
I go for the big calorie boosters, loaded wirh carbs like Nutella spread thick on a granola bar. Snicker or Milkyway bars are also great for that extra fat/carb load that fuels the fire to the engine.

Hey gorgiewave ; my daughter did a week long homestay in Madrid as a student ambassador and absolutely loved Spain.

I've lived here for six years. The countryside around Madrid is great for hiking, with its own mountain range and lots of other trails. The only bad point is that camping out is illegal in most places (unfortunately, people can't be trusted to respect their surroundings and take their rubbish home). Spain in general is a place any hiker should look at as an option.

Darwin13
05-07-2013, 14:51
Add Content

Sara
05-07-2013, 18:09
I try to distract my mind. I plan Hallowe'en costumes, create new endings to my favourite films and think about what I would do if I won the lottery.