PDA

View Full Version : Spring overcrowding in South?

ksdave48
07-09-2005, 09:08
Question for spring starters and thrus- Is the trail or shelters, campsites, townsites, waterholes,etc. overcrowded or unpleasant because of the amount of people starting NB nearly together? I lived in Pa. most of my life and spent lots of time on the trail. Did 1000+ in "82 and some sections but never with a "community" of hikers. It sounds great for friendship and support. Are there any real problems and can you or would you avoid them with alternate planning?

dickdurk
07-09-2005, 10:02
In 2000 I went southbound the Georgia section of the trail starting 2nd week in March, a week or two before the start of the big rush. I kept track of how many people I met going northbound-60-80 per day.

I avoided staying in shelters (stealth camped mostly) and did not feel any of the resources were over crowded.

I planned my trip that direction purposely to avoid travelling in a set group; it was the first time I had spent any time on the trail, but having section hiked for the last 4 years (somewhere around 400 miles now) I have to say the concern of staying with the same group of people was unfounded. 1. Every person I have met on the trail was worthy of sharing a site with for multiple days-and coming from me says a lot; I am a loner by nature. 2. Everyone travels different distances, so there is a normal exchange of faces. That might be different for those who travel from shelter to shelter; I prefer to set up camp when I get tired of walking for the day, sometimes shelter, sometimes not.

So, no, I wouldn't avoid the community thing- to me, it's the best part of the ATC.

Michael

Kerosene
07-09-2005, 13:32
I did Georgia NOBO starting the first week of April 2004. If you want to avoid the crowds, consider starting on Sunday instead of Saturday, as we seemed to miss the big groups that camped at Springer Mountain and Hawk Mountain Shelters (25-60 people according to the caretaker!). You can avoid a lot of the crowds by camping at other sites, such as the summits of Ramrock Mountain, Sheeprock Mountain, a mile or so past Neels Gap, etc.

I also found that, as a section hiker, I was doing more miles in a day than most aspiring thru-hikers, so I missed some of the camaraderie from sticking with the same group for multiple days.

It was frustrating to pass someone (I tend to walk faster than most), and then leapfrog with them repeatedly throughout the day. Sometimes I wouldn't let myself stop for a scheduled break because I just blew by a few hikers...a little weird, I know.

DMA, 2000
07-09-2005, 19:14
If you really want to stay in a shelter, it's a problem...get there by 2 PM or you're out of luck. If you'd like to stay near a shelter for the company and camaraderie, but don't mind actually sleeping in a tent, it'll be great. If you want to be by yourself at night, that should not be a problem at all, as long as you aim for spots that aren't shelters or listed as campsites.

In 2000, I actually had two Georgia nights in shelters with only 2 other people and no one else in the vicinity. I also had a camping night alone and two others with only a few people nearby. On the other hand, one night there were like 100 of us in and around Low Gap Shelter.

One way to avoid crowds at the very start would be to leave from Springer in the afternoon and spend your first night at the Stover Creek shelter 2.5 miles down the trail. Most people tend to stay at Springer on the first night or press on to Hawk Mountain.

jackiebolen
07-09-2005, 19:47
I started Feb. 22/2004 and thought it would be early enough that I wouldn't see too many people. I was wrong...almost every night there was enough people to fill up the shelters and the hostels for most of GA/NC. Then we got spread out a bit more.

However, I never did have to camp out because there wasn't space in a shelter so that was good.

weary
07-09-2005, 20:17
I started Feb. 22/2004 and thought it would be early enough that I wouldn't see too many people. I was wrong...almost every night there was enough people to fill up the shelters and the hostels for most of GA/NC. Then we got spread out a bit more.

However, I never did have to camp out because there wasn't space in a shelter so that was good.
I started April 13, 1993 and thought it would be late enough that I wouldn't see too many people. I was wrong...almost every night there was enough people to fill up the shelters and the hostels for most of GA/NC. Then we got spread out a bit more.

However, I rarely had to camp out because there wasn't space in a shelter so that was good.

I guess my message is that it doesn't matter when you start. The trail in the south is a busy place February through May. It's also a wonderful place with ever-changing spring flowers, ever-changing companions. Even a loner like weary enjoyed it all.

Weary