PDA

View Full Version : Water quality

Gorgiewave
05-05-2013, 06:47
I'm going for a section hike in August from Delaware Water Gap to Pittsfield, MA. I've read that the water sources are not always plentiful. Is that true?
I was also wondering about the turbidity of the water. I will boil water to kill microorganisms, but is the water usually clear? Or is it cloudy and full of silt and other inorganic particles.

moldy
05-05-2013, 08:23
This section of the trail has the worst water in terms of turbidity and bacteria especially during the late Summer and early Fall on the entire Appalachian trail. Most of the active creeks will drain from 1 or more ponds or beaver dams. There are also many cow pastures that drain into these creeks. Late summer heat and poor flood runoff will cause huge spikes in the bacteria population as this water is in shallow warm ponds. In many places you will see "black ponds". These are pools of foul looking water that is colored black by the color of the soil. What to do? Prior to departing locate all the locations that have, well water and piped in water, also annotate all stores and other businesses near the trail that you can get good water. This of course is, not enough. You now are left with filtering or chemically treating or using an UV water sterilizer. Few people will drink this creek water untreated. Turbidity is a "look" issue and can't hurt you. Small chunks of material suspended in the water can be filtered. You should also bring extra containers so you can carry more of the good water that you find.

Gorgiewave
05-05-2013, 08:28
This section of the trail has the worst water in terms of turbidity and bacteria especially during the late Summer and early Fall on the entire Appalachian trail. Most of the active creeks will drain from 1 or more ponds or beaver dams. There are also many cow pastures that drain into these creeks. Late summer heat and poor flood runoff will cause huge spikes in the bacteria population as this water is in shallow warm ponds. In many places you will see "black ponds". These are pools of foul looking water that is colored black by the color of the soil. What to do? Prior to departing locate all the locations that have, well water and piped in water, also annotate all stores and other businesses near the trail that you can get good water. This of course is, not enough. You now are left with filtering or chemically treating or using an UV water sterilizer. Few people will drink this creek water untreated. Turbidity is a "look" issue and can't hurt you. Small chunks of material suspended in the water can be filtered. You should also bring extra containers so you can carry more of the good water that you find.

Thanks for that. I only expect to be walking for about three weeks, so the idea of going down with diarrhoea doesn't appeal much.

LIhikers
05-06-2013, 00:15
I was out doing some trail maintenance yesterday.
The spots in my section that are usually wet were drier than I've seen them in a lot of years.
Be prepared to get water from where ever you can.

Dogwood
05-06-2013, 12:22
I'm going for a section hike in August from Delaware Water Gap to Pittsfield, MA. I've read that the water sources are not always plentiful. Is that true?
I was also wondering about the turbidity of the water. I will boil water to kill microorganisms, but is the water usually clear? Or is it cloudy and full of silt and other inorganic particles.

If my calculations serve me correctly that's upwards of 250 miles between DWG and Pittsfield Rd in Mass. There is NO WAY I, or I think anyone, could make a fair generalization about water quality or specific availability of water in that long of a section that covers three states(NJ, NY, CT, and part of MA). Hike with the AT Thru-Hikers Companion for your hike and the water sources will be noted! There will be ADDITIONAL water sources available on your hike NOT LISTED in the Companion. There is really NO NEED to get stressed over the water quality or its availability on your hike. Just treat your water if you are concerned about what it MIGHT contain, be aware of listed water sources in the Companion, and adjust getting water as needed. IMHO, the AT, in its entirety including the section you will be hiking, IS NOT a DRY trail. Reliable water sources on the AT are WELL documented!

Malto
05-06-2013, 13:37
I just hiked MA last weekend and I was more nervous about the water in this area than any section south to GA. Many of the water sources come from the beaver ponds. It completely changed by view on the generalization about treating water on the AT. In that area I will as well as adjacent areas. I have had giardia and don't care to have a repeat.

FarmerChef
05-06-2013, 13:39
I have hiked in both dry and wet seasons and have never had trouble finding water. Finding it when I wanted it was more the challenge. A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand. Stock up on good water when you can, don't always assume there will be water where the guide or map indicates it's available.

As for water quality - I had no problems with the water in that section last year (did the whole thing on two separate weeks in the summer). Plenty of springs, streams and lots of potable water sources in towns, hostels, restaurants, etc. Don't worry about the water as Dogwood said, just be smart about where you get it. Moldy is spot on in his assessment of the water in the streams - it often drains from ponds and pastures. But it doesn't mean you can't find good water either. In either case, I would treat or filter. If the color of the water or crusteze in the water bug you, just use your bandana or a piece of cloth (even your shirt corner) as a prefilter.

Moldy - I loved your reference to black water. We call it "swamp tea" from hiking in the U.P. of Michigan where there were lots of peat bogs and peat ponds. Love those tannins! :P

magic_game03
05-06-2013, 14:38
If my calculations serve me correctly that's upwards of 250 miles between DWG and Pittsfield Rd in Mass. There is NO WAY I, or I think anyone, could make a fair generalization about water quality or specific availability of water in that long of a section that covers three states(NJ, NY, CT, and part of MA).

I disagree Dogwood. It is my opinion that the availability of naturally occurring potable water throughout this section is very limited. The only way to characterize this is to say, "the water is awful here." I'd suspect that about half of the water consumed through this section by AT hikers comes from public sources and not from springs. Yes, there is plenty of water; No, most of it is not good to drink even if you have a filter.

Good news, there are lots of places to get water in these sections at crossings and public areas. If you keep it short and sweet the locals will give you water if you ask. Even better, most of them already have bad water so they drink bottled water and will just hand you a few bottles.

Feral Bill
05-06-2013, 14:42

Boiling is effective for treating water, but uses a lot of fuel and leaves you with hot water. Consider using a filter or chemical treatment.

Dogwood
05-06-2013, 16:47
We're spitting hairs. NEVER said anything specific about ONLY NATURALLY OCCURRING water sources in this 250 + mile section. NEVER said or implied the AT Thru-Hikers Companion ONLY lists naturally occurring water because it also mentions spigots/fountains from public water supplies on a few occasions if I'm not mistaken. It's WHY I said this above: "There will be ADDITIONAL water sources available on your hike NOT LISTED in the Companion."

"Good news, there are lots of places to get water in these sections at crossings and public areas. If you keep it short and sweet the locals will give you water if you ask. Even better, most of them already have bad water so they drink bottled water and will just hand you a few bottles. - Magic_game03

Absolutely! And it's also WHY I said what I said above and just reposted it.

As a rule, and as others have wisely mentioned, treat your water around pastures, beaver ponds, agricultural areas, or basically where you encounter higher levels of human activity. OR, if you feel so inclined, treat your water ALL THE TIME. This section DOES have some of these types of areas. I really DO NOT want to get into a whole other long winded and already extensively covered topic on when, where, and how to treat water. To the OP, you already said you will bring your water to a full boil. That should suffice.

*Reliable water sources on the AT are WELL documented! AND, the Companion makes mention of the quality of water on a few ocassions by recommending to treat or NOT take drinking water from some sources. GET THE AT THRU-HIKERS COMPANION AND USE IT FOR THE 250+ mile section you are hiking. It lists water sources as well as a whole lot more relevant and helpful info on a thru or section hike! Let me repeat myself. The water sources listed in the Companion WILL NOT be the only sources of water on your section. I don't think you should have to be told to treat your water and know that you can take advantage of ANY or ALL water sources.

It really should not be a BIG DEAL! Enjoy the journey.