PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks on the trail???

DaTwiztedOne
05-05-2013, 13:11
hey yall i was wondering how any of you that may have panic attacks deal with them on the trail? i do good sometimes and can go 2-3 days out on the trails and not have one then il have one at night and it will keep me up all night :( ive gotten up and walked around and did jumping jacks and anything else i could think of to relieve the symptoms but to no avail, and the bad part is it wears me down so bad that the next day im beat before i even start ... so any help would be great, even if i have to take a pill to help i will (i dont like taking anything but if i have to i will) thanks

Water Rat
05-05-2013, 13:49
A friend of mine has panic attacks... But, his tend to stop when he is outdoors. While I don't know what it is like to endure panic attacks, it would seem to me that the best place to start would be to figure out what is causing the panic attacks. Is it hiking related, leftover stress from "normal" life, or do they just happen without any apparent trigger? Yes, there are pills you can take, but have you tried relaxation techniques before the panic attacks occur?

I imagine you probably have "been there, done that" already. I hope others have something better to offer!

HikerMom58
05-05-2013, 13:59
hey yall i was wondering how any of you that may have panic attacks deal with them on the trail? i do good sometimes and can go 2-3 days out on the trails and not have one then il have one at night and it will keep me up all night :( ive gotten up and walked around and did jumping jacks and anything else i could think of to relieve the symptoms but to no avail, and the bad part is it wears me down so bad that the next day im beat before i even start ... so any help would be great, even if i have to take a pill to help i will (i dont like taking anything but if i have to i will) thanks

Are your panic attacks limited to hiking? That would seem strange if that were the case. You didn't mention your feelings leading up to the attack... Does it happen only a night on the trail?

DaTwiztedOne
05-05-2013, 14:01
thanks, there dont seem to be any "triggers" they just pop up. i have even been asleep and woke up having one :( ive tried a lot of the exercise and breathing things ive read to help but they dont do much,,,,

DaTwiztedOne
05-05-2013, 14:05
they mostly happen at night/early evening, as far as whats going on when they hit.. thats a big mystery, ive been sitting around a camp fire with other people and one hits other time im just sitting alone and poof there it is, dont seem to be anything to set them off, i know some people say they have them when they get scared of something but so for in life i havnt found anything im scared of. (other than my x wife!) LOL

Water Rat
05-05-2013, 14:08
I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Since panic attacks can be caused by everything from anxiety to head injuries (specific portion of the brain) to illness (again, specific portion of the brain)... It might be a good idea to talk to a doctor about this. They might be able to help you pinpoint the cause, or maybe offer you better guidance as to what you can do to stop the panic attacks.

I hope you are able to find some answers that help!

rocketsocks
05-05-2013, 14:13
Dude, just pop a xanny

davidmorganrn
05-05-2013, 15:05
if you are used to some booze at night it would be alcohol withdrawl.

Luddite
05-05-2013, 15:36
I had the worst anxiety a few years ago and would have multiple panic attacks a day. The trail actually cured me of my anxiety. You have to figure out what is causing them. Anxiety is basically negative thoughts, it's all in your head, and panic attacks are usually caused from incorrect breathing that triggers all kinds of scary feelings. It does help to talk to a shrink/therapist and maybe consider getting some CBT. The pills are very addicting if you abuse them, but maybe just knowing that you have some xanax in your pack that will rid you of your panic will be enough. Also, there are a lot of good books out there on the subject...buy a book on correct breathing exercises, you have no idea how much it will help.

MuddyWaters
05-05-2013, 17:15
I would think you would want to have such issues under control in your daily life, before hitting the trail.

DaTwiztedOne
05-05-2013, 19:23
thanks for the info...

Del Q
05-05-2013, 20:04
I had a serious attack last March (2012), on the trail 3 days later, felt fine. Made some major life changes, OK so far.

Agree on the meds, they are there for a reason.

Unless there are other medical issues, my gut feel, if you are having panic attacks on the trail and your are OK being alone in the woods, there are other issues that need to be resolved.

chris too
05-05-2013, 20:21
I would think you would want to have such issues under control in your daily life, before hitting the trail.

I agree with muddy. It might be pretty rough if you were on the trail and your symptoms worsened. Have you been officially diagnosed with panic attacks; are you sure you're medically healthy. And sometimes past traumas -- even ones that date clear back to childhood -- can trigger emotions in a way we might not understand. You say you aren't being triggered, but how do you know that for sure. Some people are triggered by something as ambiguous as feeling out of control. Therapy wouldn't hurt. Oh and you might try researching lemon balm. Good luck and I hope you are able work through what is causing your panic and have a great hike.

MuddyWaters
05-05-2013, 20:51

Heres the reason I say that.

Panic kills.
The #1 rule of any emergency situation is dont panic.

When an adverse situation or emergency occurs, many normal people panic and make their situation worse.

Knowing this, and being able to understand it and calm yourself down can be the difference between surviving, and dieing.

Not trying to sound all scary. Hiking is pretty safe. But situations can occur where people are put in jeopardy, and in that situation you must not panic, must think clearly , and figure out what to do.

Once panic sets in, its almost impossible to think clearly.

rocketsocks
05-05-2013, 21:24
Heres the reason I say that.

Panic kills.
The #1 rule of any emergency situation is dont panic.

When an adverse situation or emergency occurs, many normal people panic and make their situation worse.

Knowing this, and being able to understand it and calm yourself down can be the difference between surviving, and dieing.

Not trying to sound all scary. Hiking is pretty safe. But situations can occur where people are put in jeopardy, and in that situation you must not panic, must think clearly , and figure out what to do.

Once panic sets in, its almost impossible to think clearly.100% agree, like stress the silent killer...panic attacks should be taken very seriously....no need to suffer....

Luddite
05-05-2013, 23:37
Just go hiking, man. If you avoid things because you think you'll panic, you'll end up never leaving your house. I'm not a shrink, but the first thing a shrink will do is tell you to quit avoiding situations where you think you'll panic. Go get those endorphins pumping.

gumball
05-06-2013, 05:21
There are some excellent medications that can help you with panic and anxiety. I think there is another thread somewhere here on wb, if you search. No need to suffer.

Sailor (The other one)
05-06-2013, 08:04
I've been diagnosed with PTSD and have had severe panic attacks. Exercise, breathing, natural supplements were not enough to control them. Medication and therapy have helped enormously, so I no longer have the kind of generalized anxiety that can show up out of nowhere, nor do I panic from triggers. Medication manages the first and therapy eliminated the second.
I was also a therapist for 12 years and am an alcoholic in recovery.
A warning about medication and self-medicating. Common anti-anxiety agents, like xanax (xannies, xanny bars on the street) and valium are only meant for the short term treatment of several panic when it is happening. They are extremely addicting. Part of the problem, as someone refered to alcohol withdrawal above, is that as you come off of the drug your anxiety tends to get slightly worse, which increases over time and results in needing more of the drug. It's called the rebound effect. I've seen the lives or very good people ruined this way. The usual, safer and more effective medication tends to be anti-depressants and, as in my case, a beta-blocker. Anxiety and depression usually appear together. With the combination of drugs I'm on the anxiety and depression are controlled with no side effects and no addiction.
Self-medicating with alcohol or street drugs involve the same risks.
If I was in your shoes - and I was - I'd start with a psychiatrist, preferably one certified in addictionology since they tend to understand the rebound effect and then seek a good therapist. I've had the fastest and most effctive therapy with Jungians. YMMV
Good luck.
Don't let the anxiety ruin any aspect of your life.

carophil
06-07-2013, 16:29
i have serious anxiety issues too. usually my anxiety and panic attacks spring from social scenarios or crowded places/cities, so hiking really seems to help. i feel like being out in the middle of nowhere with no set schedule and just my own thoughts really helps.

Drybones
06-07-2013, 16:53
Years ago my wife had a panic attack almost every time she left the house. She started seeing a shrink but that didn't help. I told her to get a good study Bible and a good pair of running shoes and use them both, she did, lost about 30 lbs, won 10 road race trophies along with losing the panic attacks.

ams212001
06-07-2013, 16:54
Talk to a therapist. There is usually a trigger and a therapist is trained to find them out. Sometimes its just helpful knowing the trigger. Medication is helpful but if you can go to therapy and learn to control your symptoms without medication that is ideal. Do not just go to your primary care physician. Specifically see a therapist. Anxiety can be managed!

no-name
06-08-2013, 07:21
Or two!! Your doctor should be your friend!
Dude, just pop a xanny

Cyngbaeld
07-30-2013, 15:55
Is your blood pressure ok, all the time? Do you have episodes of high blood pressure? If so, you could very well have an adrenal gland tumor causing the symptoms. You need a cortisol level check for that. Also have your thyroid checked as thyroid problems can set off a panic/anxiety episode. You need a complete physical before it can be stated that this problem might be helped with therapy alone.

Hill Ape
07-30-2013, 16:27
this type of issue is best dealt with seeking treatment with trained mental health professionals, not a bunch of hikers. there are many causes and treatments, some of which have been listed here. in conjunction with medication, cognitive behavioral therapy is usually warranted. simply popping a pill will work in the immediate, but will not address the underlying causes and triggers (which you have not been able to identify/admit/or face on your own) and if you have had addiction issues in your past, you will need to be closely monitored taking meds that are commonly abused.

fair warning... CBT is not pleasant or easy. many people don't stick with it, its value isn't realized in one or two sessions

gumball
07-30-2013, 20:28
Lexipro. Ask your physician about it.