PDA

View Full Version : Thru hike in 90 days?

Gorgiewave
05-05-2013, 17:17
I know it has been done, but how close to impossible is it to do a thru in 90 days (probably more like 87)? I am Scottish and I have no special visa to be in the US (such as student or work), so my limit is 90 days at a time. Is it remotely likely I could do this? Would I need to be exceptionally fit?

MuddyWaters
05-05-2013, 17:32
Probably impossible for at least 99.9% of hikers.

Mountain Mike
05-05-2013, 17:41
Many hikers get visas to hike the entire trail. I hope one of them will chime in & tell you what type they get.

Gorgiewave
05-05-2013, 17:47
Many hikers get visas to hike the entire trail. I hope one of them will chime in & tell you what type they get.

I hope they do. That would help me greatly.

Sarcasm the elf
05-05-2013, 18:31
I don't know much about the visa process, but I do know that some people have gotten visas for longer. There are two Australian members of this site hiking right now on six month visas.

max patch
05-05-2013, 18:45
Send a PM to OzJacko from Australia hiking now.

OzJacko
05-05-2013, 18:49
I don't know much about the visa process, but I do know that some people have gotten visas for longer. There are two Australian members of this site hiking right now on six month visas.
Without paying for a visa (well you do for 3 months but it's factored into your airfare) you are limited to 3 months.
Go to the USA embassy website and search re B2 visas.
You have to fill in forms (real silly questions included), jump through hoops, have a consular/embassy interview and pay equivalent of $160 but you can get a visa that gives you six months. They really only want to confirm you aren't likely to overstay (and remove you from some more dollars).
Remember when you get it to make it clear to your airline you have it so they don't bill you the extra when you buy your ticket.
Biggest hassle is it takes a bit more commitment to the trip at an earlier date.
Don't forget to get good travel insurance that covers medical.

4shot
05-05-2013, 19:16
as someone else said, it's doable but for a very, very small % of hikers.You could just come and hike for 87 days and enjoy the AT, whether that gets you to Waynesboro Va. or Harper's Ferry or Burlington Vt or Rangely Maine. It's still a great way to spend 87 days. or you can do the other stuff suggested above.

Lone Wolf
05-05-2013, 20:34
24 miles per day. no biggie. it's just walkin'. it's all about the destination

Malto
05-05-2013, 20:44
I know it has been done, but how close to impossible is it to do a thru in 90 days (probably more like 87)? I am Scottish and I have no special visa to be in the US (such as student or work), so my limit is 90 days at a time. Is it remotely likely I could do this? Would I need to be exceptionally fit?

Not close to impossible. Would you need to be exceptional fit? IMHO, yes, not just physically but mentally. It would help a great deal if you were experienced and lightweight. To do this in 90 days you will need to do a fair number of 30 mile days. Have you done any? While my hike was on a different trail, PCT, my journal will give you a pretty good idea of the preparations and day to day pressure that a fast hike requires. My pace was a bit more aggressive than you are looking at but you will get the idea.

http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=9430b9d84b27e80a20a2d7be19f032 45&entry_id=20018

MuddyWaters
05-05-2013, 22:59
Id figure that getting in and out of country and to/from trail will eat up a week.
Also figure that lose a dozen days hiking to resupplies, even with 30-ish mile pace
Probably also at least 1/2 dozen true zeros thrown in

So Id think youd have a max of about 66 full hiking days. You would need to average 33mpd.
Pretty aggressive.

BillyGr
05-06-2013, 21:56
One other thing I've seen mentioned somewhere (but not sure where) about being able to travel to Canada and then get another amount of time? Might be worth checking to see if this would work for you (since you mention being Scottish, and the connections between that area and Canada it might be something).

No guarantees, though.

stranger
05-07-2013, 06:09
Visa's can be tricky, they are also completely dependent on where you are from, not so much where you are going...so what an Aussie uses might not work for a Scot. Also, when you look into this, ask 3 times, because it's common to get different answers from different people at immigration services. Cover your ass, no one will care if YOU get it wrong.

Gorgiewave
05-08-2013, 18:26
Thanks for the answers. I doubt I'd have police looking for me on the Appalachian Trail and I imagine it must be very easy to overstay if you want to. However, I'd prefer not to get on the wrong side of the authorities and not allowed back or something. I'll stay with a proper visa or not at all.

4shot
05-08-2013, 19:01
Thanks for the answers. I doubt I'd have police looking for me on the Appalachian Trail and I imagine it must be very easy to overstay if you want to. However, I'd prefer not to get on the wrong side of the authorities and not allowed back or something. I'll stay with a proper visa or not at all.

If you come once and squeeze in a thruhike of the AT, eat a White Castle hamburger, drink some Evan Williams Kentucky bourbon, eat a Maine lobster and see Buddy Guy live on that one visit...I'm not sure there would ever be a reason to come back. these would be the highlights and it would all be downhill from there;)

moldy
05-12-2013, 13:20
It all depends on how experienced you are at long distance hiking. So an experienced hiker who is in good condition and has good luck or some sort of trailside support can do it in 90 days.