PDA

View Full Version : Pen Mar parking and shuttle to Ducannon, or vice versa

steve43
05-05-2013, 18:45
Looking for parking and shuttle options between Pen Mar and Ducannon. Ideally we'd like to park at Pen Mar, and get a shuttle to Ducannon so we can hike south, but we're also open to option B if we have to.

If anyone can provide information on shuttle services and parking, we'd really appreciate it. For example, have there been any problems with leaving a car at Pen Mar for 5-6 days? Anyone in the Pen Mar/Waynesboro/Ducannon area that provides shuttles? The usual stuff for section hikers.

Thanks in advance.

fifo

johnnybgood
05-05-2013, 20:19
I have left a car there for 3 days- twice- without incident and know of no vandalism issues there. The gravel lot across from the park where you would park is in a residential area in what seems like a quiet neighborhood. Call Mary Parry at 717-834-4706 for shuttles. If she can't shuttle you she can recommend someone.

birchy
05-05-2013, 20:36
We can accommodate you. Please contact TERRI (aka MT. ROSE ) at 717 352 2279. You can leave your vehicle at Penn Mar and she can shuttle you to Duncannon

johnnybgood
05-05-2013, 20:51
We can accommodate you. Please contact TERRI (aka MT. ROSE ) at 717 352 2279. You can leave your vehicle at Penn Mar and she can shuttle you to Duncannon

Actually used birchy on my Boiling Springs section hike....recommend him (TERRI) for a shuttle. Sorry , didn't know if you still did shuttles.

LifetimeSectionHiker
05-05-2013, 21:38
This may not be the best place to put this, but I've gotten good info from this site before, and wanted to add my own tip. I did a nobo section hike from where the trail crosses Rt. 11 in Carlisle, PA to Clark's Ferry bridge in Duncannon, PA. Drove to a park and ride at the Clark's Ferry bridge (bus rt 23), took the bus to Market Square in Harrisburg, then caught the Carlisle Express bus to New Kingstowne in Carlisle, PA. Then I hiked back to my car (18 miles). This is only possible on a weekday. If you get a nice bus driver, he may drop you at the exact location where the trail is. It's a lovely hike, only 3 big hills.

illabelle
05-05-2013, 22:34
We did this same section in mid-April. We flew into Duncannon, shuttled to PenMar (Robert Freeman, aka Junker, sorry don't have his number anymore), then Mary Parry picked us up in Duncannon and took us to the airport.
This section was generally pleasant with the notable exception of the descent into Duncannon. Here's our trip report if you're interested:

Our Penn trip was originally planned to start Wed at noon, but our connecting flight went through Chicago during a storm and got cancelled. It was quite frustrating and time-consuming dealing with the airline. Eventually we escaped, slept in the airport in Cleveland, and finally started the trail 4 pm on Thursday - 28 hours late - so we had to increase miles per day beyond our normal comfort level. First lesson: avoid flying to Chicago on United Airlines.

Overall weather on our trip was very pleasant, 30s-40s at night, 50s-60s during the day. One evening rainstorm. A few bugs out, but not enough to drive us crazy. Trees beginning to leaf out, but not enough for shade. Several wildflowers in bloom. Saw one black snake, a couple chipmunks, 4 or 5 squirrels, two rabbits, and maybe the white tail of a deer.

Our mileage is taken from 2013 AWOL Guide. Most of the terrain is fairly mild, with a stretch here and there to challenge the heart and lungs. There were some lengthy stretches that were level and smooth, and several lengthy stretches that had rocks all over the place.

Th, April 18. Pen Mar to Antietam Shelter, 7.0 miles. Started trail 4 pm at Pen Mar, hiking NOBO. Ate supper at Deer Lick Shelters. Section hikers in one shelter, a youth group camped out nearby in tents. Shelters were about average in condition, reasonably clean. With such a late start, we felt we should move on. Hiked on past sunset to Antietam Shelter for the night. Antietam is ok, but feels just a little run down. Was hard to find in the dark. Situated near several bridged stream crossings.

Fr, April 19. Antietam to Quarry Gap, 13.4 miles. From Antietam we hiked 1.2 m to Tumbling Run Shelters. Tumbling Run is very nice! Two shelters, a large covered picnic table, a second uncovered table, all in pea gravel! Nice privy. Some areas off limits for restoration of the vegetation. Met a man hiking with his 3-yr-old grandson. No one else around. We did not get water here, but we should have. Continued uphill more steeply, then became more like a gentle ridgeline walk - though it's not a ridge. Early afternoon arrived at side trail to Rocky Mountain Shelters and stopped for lunch and to air out our feet. Our water was low, but we chose to bypass the shelter because it's a full half-mile to the water source. Trail descended from there to Caledonia State Park. The water fountains were turned off. Except for a couple fishermen and 5-6 vehicles in the parking area, we saw no indication that the park was even open (AWOL says it opens March 29). We got water from the sinks in the bathrooms and went on. Crossed a road, climbed a hill or two, and it began to drizzle. Covered our packs and kept walking. Met a few dayhikers on their way back out. Arrived at Quarry Gap Shelters about 6 pm. Quarry Gap has to be one of the very best shelters on the entire trail! Very clean. It has a small gate as you enter the "front yard". Daffodils had been planted and were in bloom. Three baskets of pansies hung from the eaves. Cute little wooden ducks were attached to the building in a few places. A nice roll-up wind/sun screen protected the eating area. The creek bypass was mortared. There was a trash can (labeled a "slob can") near the privy, which had a nice book about privies. I remember a checkerboard game, a sign put up by the "Innkeeper", signs posting the distances to the next two shelters to the north. For sure, plan to eat or sleep at this shelter. It's like being at home. Downpour started about 30 minutes after we arrived. Got a text that we were under a tornado watch and to take cover. Quarry Gap seemed very sturdy, and we slept well.

Sa, April 20. Quarry Gap to Ironmasters Mansion, 16.9 miles. Most miles we've ever done in one day, and we felt it. We had originally planned to reach Ironmasters Mansion Friday night for a shower and supper. Then we were going to take Saturday off to visit with acquaintances in the area. But because of the flight delays, we worked hard to get the miles in, and cancelled the off-day to get back on track. Pretty sure my blisters started today. After leaving Quarry Gap, we had some of the easiest smoothest miles you could ask for. Level, wide, no rocks, easy easy. We passed Birch Run Shelter and Toms Run Shelters. Birch Run was on a sloping grassy clearing above a good stream. Saw a group of 3 section hikers here, and a few dayhikers. Saw other hikers through the day also. Privy was average. Ate a meal, got some water, changed our socks, and moved on. I don't remember Toms Run. Descended to Pine Grove Furnace State Park. Ironmasters Mansion, on the edge of the park, operates as a hiker hostel and also a place for family reunions, weddings, etc. Couple managing it are new, just started in April, and they aren't hikers, so they have a few things to learn. Place was reasonably clean, but needs some maintenance. Separate bunk rooms for men and women, but there were no other men there, so I joined my husband in the men's bunk room. Nice HOT shower! Overnight stay is $20 ea. We opted to pay $5 more for supper (they thaw it, you microwave it). Food was good. AWOL says they planned to have laundry for 2013 - a factor in our decision to stay here. They do not have it yet. I hand-washed several things in the bathroom sink, and spread them on the porch to drip. Went out about midnight to turn them over, still very wet. Brought them in and used the bunk room fan to dry them. Would not have worked at all if there were more people about. Breakfast was Eggo waffles or GrapeNuts cereal (included in the $5).

Su, April 21. Ironmasters to campsite, 11.5 miles. Left Ironmasters at 9 am, walked through PGF State Park (if we did this section again, we would consider staying in the park - just an option, not steering you away from Ironmasters), through some low areas, a few road crossings, then did a .2 detour to resupply at Green Mtn Store on PA 34. Food selection was adequate, not great. It felt like rural NC, somewhere near Mayberry. Bought some potato chips - never crossed my mind to read the ingredients; cooked in LARD, and I'm a vegetarian! Bought an orange soda, asked where to remove the old style cap. Man pointed to a bottle top remover behind the door - looked like it had been there since 1940! Bought a wedge of Wisconsin cheddar cheese. It was in the 2' diameter round wooden containers that I remember from when I was a kid. Walked back to AT, crossed some more roads, saw lots of dayhikers, set up the tent at a campsite at mile 1008.8 near a footbridge and stream. Considered building a fire to take the chill off, but too lazy. Had a good supper and slept well. Passed James Fry/Tagg Run Shelter today. Don't remember it very well. I'm thinking this is the one just before the halfway point of the entire AT - good photo spot!

Mo, April 22. Campsite to Boiling Springs Backpackers Campsite, 7.6 miles. Fewest miles for a full day, but we stretched it out so much it felt as tiring as a 10-mile day. Could have done more, but there is no camping allowed between Alec Kennedy Shelter and Darlington Shelter, a distance of 18.2 miles, except at the backpackers campsite in Boiling Springs. From our campsite we went up to a rocky ridge. AWOL describes two "rock mazes" in this area. They were kinda fun, not too hard, not too long. Saw a buzzard sitting there on a rock a little way from us. Almost got a good picture! Several small rocky hills in this area. Made a brief stop at Alec Kennedy. Fancy privy. Crossed crest of hill, then descended to open farmland. Trail follows edge of fields, or zigzags across fields at right angles. Some blazes in the fields are very far apart. How someone would find them in the dark, I don't know. Went off trail at edge of town to backpackers campsite near railroad tracks and set up tent. Walked into town for supper at Anile's (Italian food, real good, but I ordered more than I could eat). After stuffing ourselves, we carried our to-go pizza back to camp (and heated it up for breakfast). The trains that night were NOISY SCREAMING WHISTLE-BLOWING MONSTERS! I didn't count, but they came through at least 8 times. If I were doing this section again, I would explore an in-town hostel option before enduring the train again. AWOL indicates a privy at this campsite. Maybe they put up a porta-john during peak season, but we saw no privy while we were there. There was a privy at a parking lot a half-mile or so north on the trail. Found it the next morning.

Tu, April 23. Backpackers campsite to Darlington Shelter, 14.8 miles. This section is a mix of field crossings, short road walks, and nondescript wooded areas in the margins. No privies, but enough cover that you could manage if you had to. A few areas could use better blazing, especially at road walks and crossings where the trail is not obvious. Lots of nice raised clean boardwalks in the area near Scott Farm Trail Work Center (mile 1127 and onward). We found a spot to lie down on the boardwalks in partial shade, snack, and rest a while. Saw 3 or 4 others, dayhikers. After AT tunnel under PA 944, AWOL advises look for piped spring (water at Darlington is unreliable). It seemed like a long arduous back-and-forth climb up a rocky slope before we finally got to the water. There's an old rusty vehicle frame from the early 1900s that will help you identify the spot. The climb up to Darlington was steep, but less rocky than some other areas. Near the top, we met a section hiker "Half-assed" with 1700 miles under his belt. Shelter was average. Privy was large, christened the "Taj Mahal", but honestly not that special. Signs advise you to hang your boots to keep porcupines from carrying them away and chewing them up. Did not check out water source at shelter.

We, April 24. Darlington to Duncannon, 11.3 miles. Our last day! Descended from Darlington, steep but manageable, a road crossing or two, then back up to another ridge. Followed kinda level, but rocky ridge for several hours. Bypassed Cove Mtn Shelter near end of ridge. Finally began descent towards Duncannon. This section starts out reasonable, but gets horribly rough and rocky after a while. Unpleasant, and hard on the knees. Just when you think you're near the end, it goes back uphill for another rocky punishing stretch, then finally spews you onto the asphalt. From there it's a short walk into town. We went to the Doyle Hotel for a shower. In need of some housework and repairs, but serviceable. In spite of that, it has a reputation for good food, good beer, great people, and any backpacker worthy of the trail is expected to stop in for a visit, which we did. Our shuttle arrived, and whisked us away....

shelb
05-06-2013, 22:39
I have left a vehicle at PennMar without a problem in the past too. If you happen to bring a dog, do not stop in or hang around the park. A guy with a dog joined us on the shuttle, and when waited in the park (for only 10 minutes), someone came up and was yelling at him and calling the "park police."

Don H
05-07-2013, 08:49
Pen Mar Park is a Washington County, MD owned park. County park regulation state that only designated "Pet Friendly" parks allow pets of which Pen Mar is not one. So yes, they were unknowingly violating park regs. I believe there is a sign stating "No Pets". Still no reason to yell, instead maybe a friendly "hey if the PD (there are no county park rangers) comes by and sees you with your dog he might write you a ticket" comment would have been a better way to handle the situation.

http://www.washco-md.net/parks_facilities/PetFriendlyParkRules.shtm

Hikers should park in the gravel lot across from the entrance since the entrance gate is locked at night and there is no overnight parking allowed. I have parked there many times and have never heard of or had a problem.

Pen Mar has vending machines and a bath house with water fountain that is available during most of the year (they close it and turn off the water during the winter). They also have an interesting little museum showing the history of the site which use to be an amusement park.

Hikers use to be able to sleep in the pavilion but that is no longer allowed. There is a great campsite a few 1 mile north just inside PA by Falls Creek.

trailangelmary
05-08-2013, 17:09
Mary "Trailangelmary" Parry, based in Duncannon (1 block from Doyle), 717-834-4706 (landline), also can pm through here.

Coosa
05-13-2013, 21:39
Dennis Sewell - lives across from Pen Mar Park

Met him while waiting for Burgundy Lane B&B to pick me up. Nice guy, full of local history.