PDA

View Full Version : This hikin life sucks!

Chaco Taco
05-05-2013, 20:35
Hiking today on the Southern Presidentials! Man it was sucky up there today :sun

Train Wreck
05-05-2013, 20:36
Hiking today on the Southern Presidentials! Man it was sucky up there today :sun

Purely awful, you look miserable :banana

Old Hiker
05-05-2013, 20:40
And yet you hide the misery so well, like a manly man would. I'm proud of ya !!

Chaco Taco
05-05-2013, 20:41
Purely awful, you look miserable :banana
The weather sucked too

Chaco Taco
05-05-2013, 20:42
Its tough, but I will make sure to take one for the team....:welcome

slow mind
05-05-2013, 20:53
And the friggin' birds! chirp chirp chirp, why can't they just shutup already!

Chaco Taco
05-05-2013, 20:54
And the friggin' birds! chirp chirp chirp, why can't they just shutup already!
Id rather listen to heavy traffic and construction :)

Chaco Taco
05-05-2013, 20:56
Team ChacoPak on Mt Franklin

Train Wreck
05-05-2013, 20:56
And those stupid views that stretch on like forever, why, you could get positively agoraphobic, where is all the nice fog and clouds :rolleyes:

johnnybgood
05-05-2013, 21:06
And those big arse rocks to trip over and bustin' your head wide open...

Train Wreck
05-05-2013, 21:08
All that crystalline fresh air blasting into your lungs :(

T.S.Kobzol
05-05-2013, 21:08
Why the heck did you hike all the way up there when you could take the choochoo train?

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

Train Wreck
05-05-2013, 21:09
Why the heck did you hike all the way up there when you could take the choochoo train?

He's a big dummy!

Chaco Taco
05-05-2013, 21:12
He's a big dummy!
Yea hikin is for suckers

rocketsocks
05-05-2013, 21:26
this hiking life sucks :sun
21468And you love it!

EllieMP
05-05-2013, 21:33
Thanks for sharing your misery... There are many who would gladly take the moment from you!

Driver8
05-05-2013, 21:33

Chaco! Man! We crossed paths but didn't meet! I was the straggler who came into Mitpah last night, just before dark from Jackson, after a posthole-fest, struggling with my snowshoes. I saw you entry in the register as I wrote my own entry - next one after yours - and bopped my head that we hadn't gotten to visit.

I had a tough time getting up Jackson - the wet, deteriorating monorail (due to all that damned gorgeous sunshine :) ) - made it tough for me. When I met some of the group of people from Keene, and they told me they'd come over from the hut, I determined to stay over there. What a blessing it was for me.

Anyhow, it was, in some respects a Murphy's law-ish weekend, including my cell phone unaccountably running out of battery between Jackson and the hut, so I have no pics from today. But I will share a few from Saturday when I get a chance. It was an amazing, beautiful weekend in the Whites, rewarding my struggle. Sounds like you had a great time, too.

Driver8
05-05-2013, 21:35
Met some of the people from Keene at Jackson summit, meant to say.

Chaco Taco
05-05-2013, 22:06
Chaco! Man! We crossed paths but didn't meet! I was the straggler who came into Mitpah last night, just before dark from Jackson, after a posthole-fest, struggling with my snowshoes. I saw you entry in the register as I wrote my own entry - next one after yours - and bopped my head that we hadn't gotten to visit.

I had a tough time getting up Jackson - the wet, deteriorating monorail (due to all that damned gorgeous sunshine :) ) - made it tough for me. When I met some of the group of people from Keene, and they told me they'd come over from the hut, I determined to stay over there. What a blessing it was for me.

Anyhow, it was, in some respects a Murphy's law-ish weekend, including my cell phone unaccountably running out of battery between Jackson and the hut, so I have no pics from today. But I will share a few from Saturday when I get a chance. It was an amazing, beautiful weekend in the Whites, rewarding my struggle. Sounds like you had a great time, too.
Yea we tented at Nauman. We left out just before 7am this am. I had heard that Jackson was a mess. Once we got up Pierce it was allgood all the way to Franklin. Had some spots in the saddles inbetween that we had to slap on spikes but it actually got better towards Washington. The AT around Eisenhower sucked something awful, blowdowns. Looks like on a couple of folks had taken that route. I would have rather climbed back up and over Eisenhower than go through that again.

Chaco Taco
05-05-2013, 22:16
Driver8, Weekend after next we are going to go to Kinsman Pond and camp then do Cannon and the Kinsmans.....

Driver8
05-05-2013, 23:05
Yea we tented at Nauman. We left out just before 7am this am. I had heard that Jackson was a mess. Once we got up Pierce it was allgood all the way to Franklin. Had some spots in the saddles inbetween that we had to slap on spikes but it actually got better towards Washington. The AT around Eisenhower sucked something awful, blowdowns. Looks like on a couple of folks had taken that route. I would have rather climbed back up and over Eisenhower than go through that again.

Yeah, I saw after I posted that you'd stayed at Nauman from another post of yours. Did you get to know some of the other people who tented there? I met up with a couple, man and a woman, from Boston/Cambridge at Jackson summit who went as far as Franklin and turned back. Forget their name now - early 30's, I'd say; the man of the couple snapped a pic of me at the northeast summit cairn on Jackson. Their group left out before me and passed me today on Crawford Path about 1.2 from 302.

I likely won't return to the Whites until Memorial Day weekend. If I can get up the weekend before, I'd enjoy that southwesterly hike, though I'd likely have legs enough only for two of the three - presumably the Kinsmans.

Dogwood
05-06-2013, 01:25
I share your pain. Looks like terrible weather. It must have been all uphill. Bleep. Bleeeep. Bleeep. Bleeeep. Excuse me. I have to take this. My GF is calling me about what color shower curtain we MUST have for the Master Bath.

Chaco Taco
05-06-2013, 05:27
Yeah, I saw after I posted that you'd stayed at Nauman from another post of yours. Did you get to know some of the other people who tented there? I met up with a couple, man and a woman, from Boston/Cambridge at Jackson summit who went as far as Franklin and turned back. Forget their name now - early 30's, I'd say; the man of the couple snapped a pic of me at the northeast summit cairn on Jackson. Their group left out before me and passed me today on Crawford Path about 1.2 from 302.

I likely won't return to the Whites until Memorial Day weekend. If I can get up the weekend before, I'd enjoy that southwesterly hike, though I'd likely have legs enough only for two of the three - presumably the Kinsmans.
Thats cool. Yea we met the couple at the first tentsite at the Webster, Mitzpah junction. We passed them at the Cutoff junction of Crawford PAth. Nice folks

Deacon
05-06-2013, 06:10

Because he might get mooned.

Chaco Taco
05-06-2013, 06:40
Because he might get mooned.
I would more likely be doing the mooning

HikerMom58
05-06-2013, 06:40
LUckY CT... someday I'll get up there as well. Thanks for sharing with us!! :)

Chaco Taco
05-06-2013, 06:42
yea and the next few weekends look equally as rough :sun Cape Cod, Cannon and The Kinsmans, Monadnock Sunapee Greenway Trail. Like I said, this hiking life sucks

Trillium
05-06-2013, 10:14
how did the new pup do on the hike?

Deer Hunter
05-06-2013, 11:55

The suffering you must have had to endure. Tougher man than I am. How did survive. :)

jeffmeh
05-06-2013, 11:59
Rough indeed.

Feral Bill
05-06-2013, 12:00
It's never fun when you don't get what you expect from a trip.

peakbagger
05-06-2013, 12:03
The moats were not that bad either!. One scary thing on Saturday was the black flies were out on Passaconaway road, not biting but a portend of things to come.

By the way, someone mentioned the clean air up high, unfortunately Mt Washington's air isnt that clean in the summer, high level ozone from power plants from as far as the midwest impact the air quality up on the ridge.

Wise Old Owl
05-06-2013, 12:33
Yes it suck that huge view.... how's the stealth hanging and camping?:rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
05-06-2013, 13:02
how did the new pup do on the hike?
He outhiked us. He was tired by the end so I think he hit a wall by 10 miles. He loves the snow and loves the rocks.

Chaco Taco
05-06-2013, 13:04
Yes it suck that huge view.... how's the stealth hanging and camping?:rolleyes: Did not really pay attention to hanging spots with all of the snow. Stealth camping is good along the Webster Trail.

Rain Man
05-07-2013, 10:21

Yeah, where's some "long green tunnel" when you want it?!!!

Rain:sunMan

Driver8
05-07-2013, 10:57
Yeah, where's some "long green tunnel" when you want it?!!!

Rain:sunMan

That would be the slushy, post-hole-laden stretch between Jackson and Mitzpah Spring Hut. It was interminable Saturday, or at least felt like it. ...